SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jekeesl

Bothriochloa barbinodis (Cane Bluestem)

Bothriochloa barbinodis is a southwestern US native, which is slowly spreading northward along our interstates. It averages 3 feet tall at southern Arkansas sites, and has interesting panicles that are 2-6 inches long.

Comments (5)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

Very nice! I can understand it having been formerly listed as Andropogon when looking at images. Great shots.

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks peren. It makes sense to me that they were separated, since the spikelet structure is dramatically different for the two genera. We also have three additional Bothriochloa species in Arkansas, with two newly discovered here last year. If I get bored this winter, I may post the other three for general interest.

• tofi tropic (Sumatera Indonesia)
    6 years ago

Please continue these exiting ID posts jekeesl, I am on the watch, happily learning new things, especially wild plants.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

Ditto that tofi!

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you both for the positive feedback. I usually post plants in the off-season that (1) have minimal photographic representation in online searches, or (2) produce search results with photos that are often mislabeled. The web crawlers are active on this site, and will have copies of these photos available through Google searches, etc. in just a week or two. It's a great tool to improve Internet content for our wildflowers and garden plants, and also a cool way to share local plants with others on this site.