SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anla26

Recommendations for red roses...

Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am in the final stages of planting a somewhat formal rose garden that I've divided in to four beds. The beds are color themed: reds, whites, apricots, pinks.

The "red" bed is really not very red at all. It's a collection of mostly antique roses with some moderns mixed in. The colors range from purple-red to magenta. I know this bed will be quite "clashy" when it's in full bloom!

I would like to try to unify things a bit with 2 types of roses, repeated: a groundcover-ish rose and a hybrid tea. The reason I am adding hybrid teas is to break up the "moundiness" of the bed and also have some great red flowers for cutting.

Here's what I have planted in the bed so far...

In the back row (these will be grown as climbers on cedar tripods):

Maggie

Madame Isaac Pereire

Souvenir de Dr Jamain

Middle row:

Munstead Wood

Old Town Novato

Paul Neyron

Gloire de Ducher

Souv. de President Lincoln

Ebb Tide (in a standard form)

Lower middle row:

Souv. de Germain de Saint-Pierre

Souv. de Francois Gaulain

Archduke Charles

Sibelius

Front row:

Purple Buttons (three of these)

The bed is edged in boxwood which will be left to grow into its natural mounded shape. The front row also has three red peonies and three dark purple bearded iris. As underplanting, I plan to use heliotrope. My thought is to marry all the reds together by using purples to bring out the blue undertones. Who knows how this is all going to work! haha

Now that the bed is all planted, I realize I have room for some more upright, "filler" roses I can grow while the others establish. I'd like to put a few hybrid teas in, but they need to play well with the blue undertones in the other roses.

I'm not very familiar with Hybrid teas as I generally prefer antiques, but I'd like to branch out and try some if anyone can heartily recommend varieties they think would work.

Here are a few pics of the bed...

The bed I'm talking about is the one on the bottom left, with the hose in it

It's the bed on the right hand side in this photo

This is the bed up close, from the "front". The climbers are in the back and will be trained onto rustic cedar tripods

And here's a pic looking at the "back" of the bed

I realize there's a whole lotta roses in that bed! I plan to see how they do and then eliminate ones that don't do well for me.

Thanks so much! This garden is a "gardenweb rose garden". I have been lurking here for years and soaking in all the wisdom and advice.

Comments (22)

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

Roselady, I think our climates may be similar, so I'll offer suggestions of a few, possibly OGR compatible, deep red HTs which are no spray, low disease in my garden: Francis Dubreuil (Barcelona)--small shrub, Mr. Lincoln--quite tall and upright and Black Magic---quite tall and upright. The last may be unavailable now, unfortunately. Some HPs also grow more up instead of out, but they run wider than HTs. If you wish to add a Pink, I recommend uprightish HT Madame Caroline Testout. Your garden is already a lovely place, and your new beds will make it one of the most impressive residential gardens I've seen! I applaud your desire to experiment by mixing classes and colors of roses. Whatever you create is truly yours and an inspiration to all, encouraging us to think outside the categories and into our own unique visions. Carol

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

Beautiful setting, Rosylady! I'm sure it will be lovely.

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Related Discussions

Can anyone recommend a good climbing yellow and climbing red rose

Q

Comments (5)
    Rev d'Or did very well in Earthkind trials for Texas gardens, so may do well for you, too. I like a modern red climber in my garden - Dublin Bay. It reblooms well - no fragrance, though. It can definitely take the heat. Anita
    ...See More

Another Red question

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi chaoticdreams, a good place to search is Helpmefind for roses. If you are a member, you can conduct an advanced search for deep red roses and specify what class or rose, what size of bush, bloom, fragrance but most importantly it looks as if you are in Florida therefore resistance to diseases like I am guessing blackspot etc. would be important, so you can add disease resistance that to your search too. Scroll through the ones that pop up and when you have found your favorites, ask the members for info regarding their experience with the roses you are considering. I live in a hot dry climate and have sought assistance from folks in a climate similar to mine. The forum members are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. You may get a Floridian or some other person dealing with conditions similar to yours who will chime in with suggestions. You can then go to help me find, search the rose, learn about all of its attributes and if it is popular you may see photos of the bloom and the bush. Because I landscape with roses, seeing the bush is always equally helpful. Btw.. I have grown Veterans Honor... the blooms are huge and the plant becomes rather tall 6' Crimson bouquet was bullet proof here and forms a nice looking plant. Europeana has deep red blooms and dark green healthy foliage Black Magic is a very deep red hybrid tea. It will grow to become 6' - 7' tall. I have not found it to ever be very floriferous. Chrysler Imperial and Oklahoma are deep reds... C.I. I believe is supposed to be fragrant but it was not for me here. Mr. Lincoln has great form and has lovely Hybrid Tea blooms but it becomes huge and will be leggy like many hybrid teas. It is not as deep of a red as compared to black magic but it is fragrant. Good luck:) Lynn
    ...See More

Recommended red rose for pillaring?

Q

Comments (8)
    Big help! Your conditions sound like mine. Let me think on it. :-) Tell me about the area where your pillar is. Will you have to walk very close to it??? Will prickles be a problem? I'm wondering if you have access to the Tea/Noisette, 'Reve d'Or'? Or, perhaps, 'Lamarque'??? The Tea Noisettes, I think, should like your climate, and they are limber. But if they look to be too big for you, consider a climging Miniature, such as 'Jeanne la Joie.' Here is a link that might be useful: 'Jeanne la Joie' on HelpMeFind.
    ...See More

Need good red rose recommendation

Q

Comments (1)
    Veteran's Honor, Black Magic, Ingrid Bergman, Olympiad, are some good ones.
    ...See More
  • Cathy Kaufell
    6 years ago

These are three of my favorites. Disease resistant, good fragrance, long booming.

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked Cathy Kaufell
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    6 years ago

Are you adding companion plants? If so, one way to meld the different reds/purples/magentas is with contrasting/complementary colors between them. Considering the colors of your other beds, perhaps you could put in companion plants with colors found in the other beds. Personally, I like to pair light and dark, so what I'd do for the red bed is choose companion plants in soft yellow, white, and blush-pink. For the apricot bed, look for dark purple, dark blue, and dark blue-leaning (not scarlet!) red. For the pink bed, I'd look for purples, blues, and stronger yellows running through golden. Orange might work as well, but I'm not personally partial to that color. With the pinks, again put light next to dark -- dark purple next to light pink, and lavender next to dark pink, for example. Then with the white bed, pick just about any color, so long as it's deep and dark in hue. This might be the only case of me actually adding orange blooms -- to set off the whites.

Considering it's a rose bed, I wouldn't plant any other shrubs in there -- stick to things that pretty much die back to the ground in Winter. In the beginning, you can play with colors by planting annuals to see how they blend. For tall things, I'd suggest Cosmos, or Cleome, or even the sunflower 'Italian White'. When you know what companion colors work, then start looking at perennials and self-seeding annuals and biennials -- I'm thinking white Digitalis purpurea and yellow D. grandiflora would go great in the red bed, popping up here and there. Once the climbers get big, you could look into some of the shorter type-3 Clematis to grow into them, and they'd bloom while the roses are pausing in mid-Summer.

:-)

~Christopher

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • slumgullion in southern OR
    6 years ago

Wow this looks like an AMAZING project!! It is going to be a traffic-stopper in a few years!!

I would recommend the red HT "Firefighter" - healthy, vigorous, upright, lots of strongly scented true red blooms. Plus its a "9/11 memorial" rose.

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked slumgullion in southern OR
  • monarda_gw
    6 years ago

If I were in zone 8 I would want to grow the bulbs: oxblood lilies, and amaryllis, and lycoris radiata -- all red to complement red roses. Also the red-flowering peach tree "red baron" in early spring. I am a fan of the tassel flower, Emilia javanica, both orange and red, the chocolate cosmos, the red sages, and the berried yaupon for autumn color.

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked monarda_gw
  • Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    6 years ago

Dark Desire is nice, is a taller one and fragrant. Gorgeous gardens!!

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • nikthegreek
    6 years ago

In my climate the deep red fragrant HT 'Royal William' (aka 'Duftzauber 84') is a very good performer. It gets bushy, full and leafy, produces lots of blooms in every flush (although it could repeat more often) and is mostly unaffected by our main fungal affliction, PM. It is also not particularly thirsty for an HT.

If you want to experiment with something more finicky, thin, very tall and PM susceptible, then Papa Meilland produces the most glorious and most fragrant deep blackish red blooms I've seen on an HT. Darker and, to my nose, much more fragrant than Mr. Lincoln. It is a rose which needs pampering but I could not be without it because of the blooms and the fragrance.

For a lighter red, 'Ingrid Bergman' is a good grower also, producing good large medium red (not orangish) blooms, is mostly PM resistant and her blooms are very good for cutting. No particular fragrance to my nose though.

Those three, along with Mr. Lincoln are the red HTs I grow. I have 2 copies of each so Kalliope can have a few red roses in the vase through most of the year since she loves them. All of them produce pointy classic HT blooms.

I have no idea about rose performance in a blackspot area as we get very little of it over here. All my HTs are budded so no idea about own root performance either.

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked nikthegreek
  • nikthegreek
    6 years ago

I forgot to mention I also grow Isabelle Renaissance. This is a deep red very fragrant rose producing trusses of very large blooms. Bloom shape is not classic pointy HT but reminds one of a large HP. The only way I can describe it is a floribunda on lots of steroids. It grows very tall and sturdy. It will exceed 6ft if you let it and I can only recommend it for the back of a border, the middle of a bed, a specimen rose or a short stand alone climber against a wall. Very healthy in my climate.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So many great suggestions...thank you!

For those of you who grow Mr. Lincoln...do you have any pics and can you tell me more about it? I read lots of rave reviews online about it.

Nick, of the reds you grow, which one has the most purple-y color?

I also love all these companion planting suggestions. I'm trying to keep things very simple so that my yard guys can work easily in it and not have to take care of too many different kinds of plants. That was one of the reasons I made this a dedicated rose garden: so it would be more straightforward in terms of care. I wish I had the time and energy to do all the maintenance myself! I could never attempt to grow a garden like this without help. My husband, alas, is completely nonplussed by gardening. It's completely wasted on him! haha

One thing I like to grow with roses are herbs. I find that they really do help keep insects away. The herb that grows really well in my garden and that I want to plant in every bed is oregano. It has purple flowers too which will go well in the red bed.

This garden is on a road that's a scenic walking road for the place live. Lots of people walk and bike past my house and they are loving seeing this garden develop! I've met so many people since I started this project in March!

Roses are extremely unfashionable in my area. I am curious to see what the reaction will be once the garden matures a bit.

I have an area up near the road where I'm going to put out a table and give away cut flowers. Or my children can sell them. I am so looking forward to the summer!! The own root roses will still be small, but the grafted ones will be blooming pretty well! I will be posting lots of pics and asking lots of questions!

• nikthegreek
    6 years ago

No one of the above mentioned HTs is really purply in colour in my climate neither do they seem to fade to purple when the blooms get older. They are just different tones of dark red to my eye with IB being the lighter and PM the darker. My purpliest red is Austin's William Shakespeare 2000, a plant of which I love its blooms but hate its skewed growth pattern and mildew tendencies. I don't think that DA have ever managed to produce a really good red (or white for that matter). Every one of their reds seems to be lacking in one or more departments, be that vigourousness, disease resistance, growth pattern or fragrance.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    6 years ago

I have Lincoln. It is smells wonderful.

it is about 6 ft. He came with the house. He is a keeper.

Jin

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • jacqueline9CA
    6 years ago

Crimson Glory is an old HT from 1925. It is VERY fragrant. Here is a pic - it fades towards the blue end of the spectrum, so should do well with your red/purple colors. It also comes in a climbing version. Here are three pics showing it at different stages, and in different light conditions.

Jackie

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked jacqueline9CA
  • slumgullion in southern OR
    6 years ago

Mr. Lincoln is not my favorite red HT; it is very leggy and bare-looking.

In your beds this may not be a problem if the bottom of the plant will be blocked by other plants.

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked slumgullion in southern OR
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

Thank you, Jaqueline. I was going to mention CG as I'm growing the climbing version. I second the suggestions for Barcelona and Dark Desire and would add Souv. de Dr. Jamain and Chrysler Imperial. Cori Ann grows it really well in Ca., but I don't know how they would do for your climate. Will you spray? Valentine is one to consider for a low grower. My impression was that Firefighter was a more modern red; if this isn't the case I'd love to know!

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    6 years ago

Nanadoll, your roses are beautiful. All 3 are so stunning. I am taken by their beauty.

Lincoln is very leggy and there are so many other options that you can grow .

Roselady, your garden will be spectacular display of roses. Please post pics when they start blooming.

Jin

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

nanadoll...what incredible timing! I have been trying to order Ascot for two years now, ever since I saw your pictures back then. It has been sold out every time I go to the Palantine website.

After looking at the beautiful pics you posted today, I checked one more time and it was in stock!! I was so shocked!!

I ordered one since it's on the large side. Then I had to order at least two more roses since that's the minimum they ship. I saw they had Dark Desire in stock, so I bought 3, on a whim. I love the coloring...it's got a lot of purple which I think will go well with the other roses.

I have been torn over Mr Lincoln and Crimson Glory. The only reason I don't buy Crimson glory is that it's bushier and not as narrow and upright, which I was looking for. But, I don't like bare legs on hybrid teas at all! If Mr. Lincoln is consistently bare legged then I don't think I would be happy with that.

Does anyone have any full bush shots of Mr Lincoln?

Jacqueline...what is the Crimson Glory bush like?

• nikthegreek
    6 years ago

Tantau's Ascot is a very good looking rose in the DA vein but virtually scentless to my nose which, for me, is a dealbreaker.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh Nick...say it isn't so!

Helpmefind says "mild tea fragrance"

I'll be ok with that!

I guess the Mr. Lincoln or Crimson Glory will have to make up for Ascot!

• User
    6 years ago

If you have several other very fragrant roses, are you sure it will matter if you sneak in one or two that aren't? I'm not a "fragrance fiend" (lol) myself,so I don't really know how those of you who care a lot about fragrance feel, but to me fragrance can be very elusive. Some years, for example, Paul's Himalayan Musk perfumes the entire area during it's all-too-brief blooming period, but last spring I didn't notice much of anything. Other roses seem to be fragrant only during certain times of the day,or lose their fragrance once cut, etc, etc, etc. Also. to me at least, there's the "too much of a good thing" factor. After wallowing in the inebriating perfume of ,say, Mme. Isaac Pereire and others like it, I truly treasure the light,citrus-y scent of Harlekin (HMF calls its' scent "strong wild rose",whatever that means. To me, it's very light,fresh, and lemony; I wouldn't use the word "strong".) There is such a thing as over-kill! And note that Nik specified "to my nose".Sensory perceptions can and do differ so much from person to person, so for all of these reasons personally I'd advise you to just be happy that you finally snagged an Ascot. After all,if in the long run you decide you don't like it, your plan DOES admit the possibility of making eliminations...

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked User
  • Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

"wallowing in the inebriating perfume of Madame Isaac Pereire..."

I can't wait to experience that!

Madame Isaac Periere is the rose that inspired me to plant this rose garden. It was fragrancenutter's pictures over on the roses forum that captivated me The one of her MIP trained on the wall in full flush.