SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kamereone

PVC "Vinyl" Gutters in New England - yay or nay?

kamereone
6 years ago

Long story short, the need for a longer vehicle meant fancies-himself-a-handyman Uncle was along for the trip to ye olde Home Despot.

Divide and conquer was turned out to be a poor shopping strategy, since while I was getting lumber, Uncle convinced the SO that vinyl was the way to go for gutters, sealant wasn't necessary, and several other tidbits I've purged from memory to their utter BS-ness.

Not wanting to start a family feud (Uncle does live next door) we now have PVC gutters, which I profess to know very little about.

I'm reading that cold, temperature fluctuations, light exposure, heavy rains etc aren't a good mix with the vinyl, that's its only recommended in "moderate temperate climates" and that lifespan is <20 years, best case scenario.

How much of that is hogwash and/or how dumb a move would using vinyl gutters be in New England?

Any installation tips beyond sticking it together like LEGO? This appears to be the installation sheet, no info at the store with the parts: https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/29/298efeac-47c5-426a-bc28-6f7a9ecfe308.pdf

Thanks!

Comments (10)