SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Stopgap gas range - help me choose!

I just finished cooking my second Thanksgiving on the crappy old Frigidaire range I inherited when we bought our house. The burners turning themselves off in the middle of boiling potatoes and the oven that refused to get above 350 because there were two things in it finally broke the camel's back - it's time for a replacement!

We have actually been discussing a full remodel of this kitchen, which I know we will do eventually. However, given money considerations and other life stuff, I'm guessing that we won't be ready to remodel the kitchen for another five years or so. I am thinking that I will change to induction at that point, so it wouldn't hurt to change now and do the required electrical work, but I enjoy cooking with gas and don't feel the need to spring for the electrical work and a more-expensive induction range right this minute.

Anyway, I have been looking at gas ranges (stainless) and it seems that Samsung and GE have most of the features I am looking for. I do a lot of stovetop cooking and I tend to use large pans - a 12" cast iron, 14" All-Clad or a 2-burner grill pan are my go-tos. My ideal cooktop would have an 18K (or more) power burner on the front right, a smaller (but not "simmer" - those are useless) burner behind it, and twin 15Kish burners on the left. In terms of the oven, I would like a large single plus a warming drawer or a double (I have no problem getting stuff out of the lower area). Convection is a must and a powerful broiler would be nice as well. I roast meat/vegetables far more frequently than I bake, so I am fine with a gas oven - no need to pay for dual fuel.

Anyway, the only ranges I have found that have anything close to the burner arrangement I prefer are the Thor 3080 or 3026, but the ovens on those models are fairly small (4.2 cu ft) and they don't have a warming drawer or second oven below. GE and Samsung at least have the power burner and much more oven space, plus they both offer single oven+warming drawer or double oven options. GE Cafe CGS995SELSS, GE Profile PGS960, Samsung NX58K9850 or even the Samsung NX58H9500 for a budget pick would be big improvements over what I have now.

Anyway, I would love your input on these ranges or others that might fit my needs. Since I am not planning on having this stove forever, I don't want to spend a fortune on it, but I'm fine with spending up to $2500 to get the closest fit with the features I want. Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)