SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcg123

Kitchen "Refresh" -- Lengthy and with lots of photos!

kmcg123
6 years ago

Looking for some advice and suggestions on my kitchen refresh. Much more of a refresh vs mini-renovation.

Reason for refresh:

Several years ago, refaced my cabinet doors to better match not only my style, but also existing counter top and backsplash. Finish is coming off on many of the cabinet doors, especially around the knobs and some edges. I have decided I want to have the doors re-painted instead of refaced again. I have a painting company who does this all the time and they take the doors off-site to paint and then will paint the cabinet faces as well.

I do not want to get all brand new cabinets for several reasons:

1. Other than the finish coming off doors, the cabinets are in good shape and I have pull-out drawers in many of them. Storage is pretty good.

2. Kitchen lay-out is good and works for us.

3. Most likely will not be in this house more than 5 years. Kids are grown with last one a senior in college. So most of time it is just me and my husband and I want to downsize . Therefore, I don't want to put in a lot of money to completely re-do kitchen and cabinets. So, yes, if I had a larger budget and were going to live in the house longer, there are other things I would do.

That all being said, as long as I am painting the cabinets, here are a couple of other changes I'm thinking of making...and with those changes, I need advice! : )

1. Current color of the cabinets are a very light ivory. Thinking of painting them white; also considering keeping them the same or similar color. There's not a ton of natural light so I want to keep them light.

2. Some of the cabinet drawers seem to be off kilter. I tried cleaning the glides, but didn't solve the problem. Thinking I'll need to replace the glides. I'd like to get the soft close - can I just measure the exiting ones and order new ones?

3. Countertop is staying. It is Uba Tuba granite. However, I'd like to change the backsplash. I'd like something more classic like subway tile. Here's where I needs some suggestions: Do I keep the same height of the backsplash, or go to the bottom of the upper cabinets? I don't want to go all the way to the ceiling, mostly because I may put the TV in between the windows. I like the idea of the TV there because I can see it while I am cooking and preparing at the counter but it can also be viewed by the table. If I keep it at the same height as the existing tile, I'm afraid it wouldn't work with subway tile (unless I use mini-subway tiles). Then, as far as colors, if I go with white cabinets, I'll probably stick with white tile. If I stay with the existing color, would white tile still look OK, or also go with ivory or some other light color?

4. Suggestions for the opening at the end of the counter. Right now it includes the phone jack and the TV cable. There is a pull-out shelf and I used to keep the TV there, but very awkward to use. I'll have the TV cable re-routed to between the two windows if that's where I put it and the phone jack can easily go elsewhere. What would you do with this space--book shelf, place for the coffee pot, storage?

Thanks for any advice !

Comments (9)