SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeezmom

Stone house TV room needs serious revamping

Kate Macnaughton
6 years ago

Hi all. We just moved back to Canada from Japan and are ready to rethink our tv/family room. It's a bit of an awkward space because it has a wide arch entrance on one wall, another entrance with door that swings into the room on second wall, and a large window on the third wall.

I am at a loss as to how to decorate this room to make it functional for the 4 of us to comfortably watch tv and would love to hear/see your suggestions on furnishings and layout. We are two adults and two young boys.

It's an old stone home (i.e. no insulation) so in the winter especially, we keep the door closed to stop heat from going into the hallway and upstairs.

The room is very bright in the morning when the sun comes in the window, but then quite dark for the rest of the day.

I've attached some photos. Please disregard all furniture except the brown leather recliner. The couch is too big for this room and we will get a flat screen tv and something new to put it on. Everything else will go. Please excuse the mess - I'm living in a house of moving boxes.

The room is 13' x 13.5' and other measurements are as follows:

1) East wall with window - 5' of wall space left of the window but unusable if we open the door from the hallway, 4.5' of wall space to the right of the wall

2) South wall - 13.5' of wall space

3) West wall - 8' of wall space and 5.5' wide archway entrance from dining room

4) North

wall - 7' of wall space between archway and door to hall.

Apologies - 2 of the pics are quite dark because of light coming in the window. They are mostly just to give an idea of where the doorways are.

Many thanks for your help.

Comments (15)