SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patrick_simokonis

New Construction TV Placement

Family of Five
6 years ago
We are building a new home and during the electrical walkthrough, we asked for outlets and wire chase to be installed in our family room, living room and master bedroom. The problem is, we did not specify the height.

They put the receptacles at 6-6.5 feet off the floor! Way too high!

Of course, the blue board has gone up, walls plastered, and probably painted too, by now. In the living room and bedroom, the wire chase runs to closets on the opposite walls.

I️ think the living room placement is the worst! Should we ask the builder to move it lower, and risk delaying our move in schedule (trying to close 12/21 before Xmas), and occur the likely cost for the change (since we were not specific), or should we just move in and then I️ can move them lower and patch and paint the wall myself?

I am less concerned about the bedroom, as I think it makes sense for it to be up high for viewing from bed, (but still, maybe not THAT high).

In the family room the TV is above the propane fireplace, which is set low on floor. (I️ understand the pros and cons here, but we opted for more windows so there just isn’t extra wall space for the TV - and we like the central dual focal point of TV/Fireplace, and the room is big enough that the 70 inch screen won’t seem too high, I️ think). I️ am not sure what the height of the mantle will be, but I️ am guessing the location might be ok since we will be putting in a 70 inch TV and could have outlets near top of TV.

What should we do?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions