SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
modestgoddess79

Antique Rose Emporium Cyber Mondy Nov 27th sale

just received the email about this: The Antique Rose Emporium is offering FREE SHIPPING on orders of two (2) or more roses. Our “Cyber Monday” special is offered on all orders placed on Monday, November 27, 2017 only. Don’t delay!

There is no limit on this offer but all roses must ship to the same address. Other discounts do not apply. Internet orders will be manually adjusted to reflect the free shipping.

https://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/

Comments (104)

• nickelsmumz8
    6 years ago

I planted two from ARE this spring - mutabilis and Beaute Inconstante. Both arrived in great shape and have grown substantially. Both are still throwing out blooms even today. (Portland, OR.) I regret that I didn't order earlier because my bestie Buff Beauty is sold out. :( This is one of my favorite retailers because the roses are so well established when the ship. They don't ship to Oregon because of some ag regulation on the 2 gallon size, so I have them shipped to a friend in Washington. Highly recommend.

modestgoddess z6 OH thanked nickelsmumz8
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

I'm glad I ordered early so I got Quietness. Mine will come to Oregon bare root.

modestgoddess z6 OH thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Home Home
    6 years ago

Thx ladies. Ordered 2 L Shallot. Called ARE, she said only able to order what’s in stock even delivery date is next spring. Wish she had more choices like Munstead Wood, Olivia, James Galloway. Now Waiting for DA coupon:)

modestgoddess z6 OH thanked Home Home
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

I would have ordered James Galloway in a second. That's a beautiful rose.

modestgoddess z6 OH thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • modestgoddess z6 OH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I got Mollineux, Sweet Pegge, Icecap and Julia Child for myself

6 years ago

I'm embarrassed. I called to cancel one (Erfurt) that I accidentally got only to order three others! What is wrong with me!?

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Haha vapor that's ok !!

Lots of good orders here!!

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Modest, you are going to love Molineux and your mom is going to love Maggie. LF, thank you for the info on LL. Mine seems to be doing well on a wall with Eastern exposure. Well, anyway it's doing a lot better than Falstaff was doing in the same spot! I forgot about La Park. That is a fabulous Rose. I look forward to hearing how it does for you.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

Kristine, ARE had shipped bare root, only in January, to Oregon since I have been here three years. This has worked well for me. This was the only company I have found doing this. It may be the only Texas company I order from. They are great.

modestgoddess z6 OH thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

I'm so excited, that is about 20 weeks

Personally, I love bare root roses. I will have then in nice and early so they should take right of

Sheila, glad that you have been happy with them.

• pat_bamaz7
    6 years ago

Sounds like everyone has great roses coming! I ended up ordering Star of the Republic, Phalaenopsis and Joe Woodard. I was really tempted by Sweet Pegge and Sweet Frances. Y'all will have to keep us posted on how those do for you

modestgoddess z6 OH thanked pat_bamaz7
  • witchygirrl6bwv
    6 years ago

I put a second order in, I know it said to email to add to an order but it was late, and I'm afraid I'd miss the sale. I got three more. Baronne Prevost, Bolero, and Quietness. I hope I didn't mess anything up by doing two orders.

Edit* kali_C you will love Abe Darby. I got to see him bloom after I planted him in Sept. WOW what a rose.

modestgoddess z6 OH thanked witchygirrl6bwv
  • modestgoddess z6 OH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It’s fun seeing everyone’s choices

6 years ago

Love those last 3 witchy

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    6 years ago

Oh you guys that order cl Belinda's Dream - please report back on how it does for you! I wanted to order it but I wasn't sure if it would be a once bloomer or not! Awesome roses everyone ordered, how fun!

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

Lily, thanks for the pic!! I changed my order - didn't we all - so here's my final list:

- Marie Pavie (everyone raved about this one, so i'm excited to get it)

- Gruss an Auchen (my friend, Donna, raved about this one)

- Cl Belinda's Dream (Dingo, I'll let you know if it's a repeat)

- Marjorie Fair (been wanting this one for awhile)

- Thomas Affleck

- Lavender Lassie (thanks Lily for the pic and advice)

- Sweet Pea (Lily, you enabled me on this one.)

I decided not to get Golden Gate. Ugh..hope I won't regret it.

It's fun to read what folks have ordered.

modestgoddess z6 OH thanked bella rosa
    6 years ago

What made you decide against Golden Gate, Bella?

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

JBs!! It's silly I know since they love all roses. Nothing against the plant. I'll probably regret that one...

• vasue VA
    6 years ago

Worked from their alphabetical Full List of Roses in an attempt to stay on target. (My imagination wanted very much to wander through the categories & play with all the fetching possibilities, but I held firm - lol.) Still challenging to focus. Cart emptied itself several times while I was off doing chores & pondering. In a final burst of determination, shuffled roses to the cart & steeled myself to make hard choices.

Then I remembered your dilemma last year, Vaporvac, when you were winnowing through choices for various exposures, especially climbers. Recalled you spoke with them & found you could still change out roses in your order until they shipped in the Spring. Serendipity! Helped me delete some & double others. Ordered 9 in total, a splurge especially this time of year, timed to arrive for my birthday in April. At $180, half for Christmas & half for birthday treat does't sound so bad right now. (An example of creative justification stretching logic.) And saved $70 in shipping charges to boot. Yes, I know I'm naughty, but am hopeful Santa will be okay with it when he finds out...

That Full List seemed the only way to order some of those limited availability roses online. Pair of Radiance, on my personal wishlist for years & another South Africa to pair with one from ARE this year that wowed me with its form, color, scent & generous bloom. Twins of Belinda's Blush, thanks to enabling by Garden Time & Dingo, since Belinda's Dream is a happy rose here. Pairs of Rosarium Uetersen & Westerland to match the beauty of those already here & (hopefully) balance out a sweep of garden with repetition.

We're all doing our best to add to the beauty of this world! Sue

modestgoddess z6 OH thanked vasue VA
    6 years ago

I can't wait to see pictures next year of everyone's new beauties. And yes, we are making the world a more beautiful place.

Wouldn't it be a kinder world if everyone just created beauty with flowers.

6 years ago

Amen Kristine and sue !!

Sue- you have lots of pairs, do you have a lot of arbors or plans for arbors? Sounds so lovely!

Great list Bella ! :)

yay for spring !!

6 years ago

Glad to help enable you, Sue! Actually with my order last year, there was a small snafu with the shipping date which normally wouldn't have mattered, but I was tied up out of town for 4 months and I didn't go to cancel any til the last minute, by which time it was too late!!!!! So I ended up with everything, although it was for the best in the end. I love everything I got and some that were going to be cancelled have ended up my favorites. (I'm looking at you, Cl. Clotilde Soupert!) I'm doing the same "justifying" as you, ie. Xmas and my Birthday! Your choices sound wonderful; I love repetition and swathes of colour! I also got SA so I'm glad to hear it's a winner as it was one on the future chopping block.

OK. computers acting up! I've lost my arrow. Ughh. Fixed it. I love radiance. did you see my summer post from my visit to the Lexington Rose Garden. Their roses look sad in general, but Radiance stood out. I had never heard of it prior, but fell in love. Maybe I'll get it next year. For now, I'm focusing on different sections at a time, especially climbers which take time to reach maturity and Hybrid Musks. I'd love to exchange cuttings sometime in the future if you're into that.

Bella, I'm looking forward to seeing yours this Spring. I saw GG this summer in Zone 5 and it looked great. When I have a yellow section, I'm going to add it, possibly next year. Whew. I'm still on the ARE high!!!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

OK, you wicked enablers - I really wasn't going to order that many roses from ARE this year but the free shipping was too good to refuse. As I mentioned in an email to ARE, saving the shipping means I can order more roses for the same price and I (ahem) did. No need for justification in case since I seem to be at a replacement point for new roses to fill in for roses that die, and clearly it's not REALLY a new rose if it's just a replacement for a different more wimpy rose, right?

Anyway I bought Belinda's Blush (yes, thanks to all of you for the raves), Bleeds Maroon, Cole's Settlement (after seeing the lovely pictures of the seedlings that resulted), FJ LIndheimer, Gypsy Sue, Mrs. Anthony Waterer, Nancy Gay, and Sweet Frances. I tend to emphasize the Pioneer roses from ARE since they're both unique to ARE and also pretty darned hardy in my zone. Rockwall Sesquicentennial is a pronunciation nightmare but a gem of a reblooming light pink rose.
    Wicked, wicked enablers to remind me they'd hold these till spring just so I'd have no excuses not to order.

Cynthia

modestgoddess z6 OH thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • pat_bamaz7
    6 years ago

Reading about everyone's orders has me so excited for spring, and winter hasn't even set in here yet. I was tempted by so many of the Pioneer roses, but could find very little info on them, and only ordered two from the series to try. Nipptress (and everyone else), please do share your experiences with those next year. Bella, here's a picture of my Marjorie Fair from spring 2016. I cut it back and moved it this spring since it was getting too wide for its former spot...very thorny rose that bit me often when I was working near it, so I have more room to maneuver around it now. Other than the thorns, it has been really good here. Some blackspot, but not bad for our climate. It is a very bright rose, so keep that in mind with placement.

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I wish ARE had more photos of their pioneer roses on their site. I decided to gamble on Sweet Pegge because it sounds like it would make a nice container rose.

• pat_bamaz7
    6 years ago

I thought the same thing, modestgoddess. I had Sweet Pegge, Marley Dee, Joe Woodard & Phalaenopsis in my cart for possible container roses, but decided to just try Joe Woodard & Phalaenopsis first. I have a few minis in containers now that blackspot badly, so looking for no spray replacements for those. Keep us posted on Sweet Pegge.

• witchygirrl6bwv
    6 years ago

I put Star of the Republic in my cart 50 times. I need to know how the rebloom is, before I get it. Kicking myself now. lol I hope to see reviews from everyone that got it. :-)

• pat_bamaz7
    6 years ago

I will update on Star of the Republic and Joe Woodard (and Phalaenopsis...not a pioneer rose, but a found rose with little info on it, either) and look forward to hearing about the other "gambles" people are trying.

• witchygirrl6bwv
    6 years ago

Baronne Prevost is my gamble rose I guess. I couldn't find anyone talking much about it, but the photos on hmf are absolutely gorgeous!

• PRO
    Hummingbird Roses
    6 years ago

I ordered 14. Saved well over $100 in shipping, so I’m happy! I love a deal! Many of what I got were hybrid musk’s.

modestgoddess z6 OH thanked Hummingbird Roses
  • modestgoddess z6 OH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Do you have a lot of hybrid musks or are these your first?

I got 10 total, 6 shipping to Ohio for my mother and 4 for me.

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have a Star of the republic I planted in April, it bloomed several times this summer

6 years ago

Shoot! Now I'm kicking myself for passing up MF. It's heartening to see I'm not the only one to get quite a few.

• witchygirrl6bwv
    6 years ago

Modest I'm definitely regretting not getting it now. I have a bunch coming from Roses unlimited, so I wasn't even planning on ordering anymore. I don't even know where I'm going to put anything. I have a big empty front yard. Not sure how the sun is on that side, but I'll cut a few trees if I have to.

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

witchy, i like your line, "but I'll cut a few trees if i have to". the things we do for our favorite flower! LOL.

Pat, thanks so much for the pick of Marjorie. I have a perfect spot for her right in front of a white background, so she will be sure to stand out.

Just curious since these are own root roses are folks planning on planting them or potting them up when you get them? I usually do grafted roses, but I thought I would give these a try.

I can't wait to see pics of everyone's roses next year! :-)

• witchygirrl6bwv
    6 years ago

I always plant them. I only plant own root. My first experience with roses was planting 12 dr huey, because I didn't know what grafted even was, and the tops had died. I wanted to give up after a whole summer of wondering why they were growing but not blooming. LOL Never again.

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I plant everything directly in the ground. I’m going to do a few potted roses cause I’m running out of space.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    6 years ago

Bella they are big enough to plant and not worry about! All the ones I've gotten from them have awesome roots and are good sized. Sometimes they've had to cut them back to ship they are so big. They take off pretty quick. Plus I'm horrible at keeping them happy in pots!

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice on planting them out vs potting them up.

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

Does anyone grow, "Archduke Charles"?

6 years ago

Mindy, what Hybrid Musks did you get? Bella Rosa, I think I've read a lot about AC on the Antique Rose Emporium. The main thing I recall is that he spreads by runners. At least I think that's right. I'll try and find my pictures from last year so you get an idea of the size of these plants when they arrive from ARE. What ship date did you specify?

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

I do. I know Jeri (Antique Rose forum) has a version of it. Cori Ann? So far so good here. It is a china I believe. No runners. (gallica and rugosa are known for runners).

6 years ago

That color is a stunner

• pat_bamaz7
    6 years ago

Hi Bella, I LOVE my AC, but I'm not sure it is going to be hardy for you in Zone 5. Mine was young during that first polar vortex winter a few years ago. It died to the ground, but did come back from the roots the next spring and didn't have any issue making it through the next winter (which was also very cold for us down here, but nothing like a Zone 5 winter). I liked it so much that I got another for a pot, but that one didn't make it through the first winter outside in the large pot. Are you planning to put yours in the ground or grow it in a pot that you can bring into a garage or such to overwinter? Here AC is almost a constant bloomer through the season and has a nice fragrance. It does blackspot some in our high humidity, but doesn't defoliate. So far, it has remained small, but did have to start over after dying to the ground that winter (I think that was 2014?)...so could eventually put on more size. Here are a few pictures from this year....I adore the color changes with this rose:

• pat_bamaz7
    6 years ago

Oh, and no runners with AC here, either. None of my chinas have "run" so far, but my lone rugosa does, and I have a Portland and a HP that do, as well. I don't grow any gallicas, but have read that they spread by suckers, too.

6 years ago

Wow what a beauty!! So lovely

6 years ago

Why don't I have this rose! Although I've heard the name bandied about, I never associated it with this gorgeous, fragrant plant! Off to HMF!!!! Thanks for the gorgeous pictures and info Pat and Sheila. I think I could place him at the base of Blossomtime. : )

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

Bella Rosa, as gorgeous as all those pictures are I'd be very cautious about trying Archduke Charles in zone 5. I put a nice AC in my warm virtual zone 6 spot and protected it along with my teas, and it survived one winter reluctantly before dying in another even warmer winter. With protection it'll probably survive zone 6 and I've seen reports of it doing well from zone 6 down. Zone 5 is definitely a long shot, though I'd never discourage anyone else from zone pushing since you never know till you try.

Cynthia

6 years ago

Vapor , how stunning would it be with blossometime!! Fantastic idea you have. Wonder how it would do in Nashville . I had one tea .. I think it was mrs br cant. It died after one mild winter . But died in the spring. It was weird.

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advice and stunning pics, Pat, on AC. I think you're right that it wouldn't survive in our zone 5 garden. bummer. on the plus side, i went ahead and added Golden Gate to my ARE order...

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone