SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
writerebecca1959

Help me. Please help me.

Rebecca
6 years ago

O

I'm down to pulling my hair out trying to figure out the best way to go here after we reno'd our living room.

We've got a long and skinny room, about 13 feet wide and 30 feet long. Living room at one end, dining at the other. Split in half by front doors on one side; opposite is doorway to kitchen and a wall-cutout. Other ends is the fireplace (now gas) and a bump-out window on the other end.

I think I've got the dining room pretty well figured out, although I'm not 100 per cent sold on the settee being there. It was in my bedroom before and could go back.

So. Now on to the living room. We had a woodstove insert in there flanked by some awful buiilt-ins when we moved in. We ripped that out and replaced it with a gas fireplace. I had it built about 16 inches out (taking up some precious real estate in a small room) but I don't like the look of a fireplace mounted flush on the wall, and I had originally planned to have custom bookshelves built in on either side. Everything white or a variation thereof. I've since discovered custom bookshelves are way out of my budget.

Walls are Stonington Gray by BM.

So. The two loveseats and wing chair will stay. The quilts are covering up solid aqua upholstery that needs to be cleaned, and will be. The wing chair has a pattern that just doesn't go, so there's a cream coloured slipcover on that, and it's not awful.

Floors are distressed hickory.

Occasional tables there are merely serving a purpose right now. The arced lamp will not stay.

I’ve got some white panels to go on the windows.

Fireplace: I had planned to have it tiled, but have since discovered it will be $1000 to do that, just for labour. So that's out. I've come round to deciding on tin ceiling panels instead, in an off-white. The mantle could be white or painted to look like wood (a friend has an amazing talent for this). Above that, (the TV had to go above the fireplace as there is nowhere else for it), I am putting doors of some type on there, and thinking maybe a plain shaker style doors or shaker style with the tin ceiling inserts? They'll be on a hinge that swings straight back. There are crown mouldings that will go up top where the frame meets the ceiling.

Sadly, I have also realized that in my fervour to make sure the shelf for the TV wasn't any higher than absolutely necessary, I realized too late that the conventional doors will mean I can't have anything on the mantle. They're both the same level. Sad face. I had considered a sliding door but given how wide the opening is, the ceiling track would have to be very long, and I'm thinking it would look odd.

Furniture arrangement: I had planned to have the loveseats opposite each other, moved in away from the walls. But the room isn't wide enough to do that. There's not enough space between the loveseat and the wall for that to look right (I think the minimum space there is supposed to be 18 inches or so. I thought of getting a narrow (about 8 inches wide) console table to fit in behind the one loveseat under the cutout in the wall (a design feature I have been grappling with for years). I just don't like the look of a couch right flat against the wall, especially under this cutout. BUT if I do that, it means the other couch has to go up against the opposite wall, or almost anyway.

I felt like there needed to be a bit of divide between the rooms, so the small wing chair there on an angle does that.

How would you place the living room furniture?

What kind of area rug?

Coffee table? No glass please!

How would you finish off the fireplace?

Do you like the settee down by the table?

Leave either side of the fireplace open and look for a couple of matching bookcases? If I do put furniture in there, do they have to match? I looked at an IKEA unit that is almost exactly the same size as the nook on each side of the fireplace, but I'm stuck there too because I'm thinking maybe "almost" wouldn't look right either; that it should be a complete fit or something much smaller.

Thank you so much, any help would be appreciated.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH