SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Haven't canned for a few months

lucillle
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The flood in Texas a few months ago ruined about half my stuff. Ultimately, frazzled, I decided to move into a tiny apartment and gave away about another 1/4. This included all my canning stuff, the canner, all the jars, the fancy jar boxes, even the food as it was the height of summer and I did not want sealed jars in a very hot moving truck for hours, I was afraid the seals would fail because of the extreme heat as the apartment was hours away, I moved far enough away from the coast that I am (just now) starting to feel a little safer from hurricanes.

Despite my frazzlement, in a way it worked out to be a blessing. Most of the 1/4 stuff was given to a nice family I had just met and also to some of the members of their church. They were a couple, looked to be in their mid 30s, and they adopted and fostered children and have quite a sizable family. The husband is the canner and I'm sure all the stuff I gave them will come in handy as their fosters are mostly teens, and they eat a lot.

I obviously will not be able to can any more home grown veggies, but the flood ruined the freezer too and when I come across good buys like the cheap turkeys they are selling now I feel like even though this place is tiny, I can can up some food.

So I will probably wait until Black Friday, see if I can get a deal on a canner.

Could someone with the 23 qt Presto please measure the height with the top on, I only have 16 inches until the stove overhang with the fan so I don't know if I have the room for that one.

Comments (12)