SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Schluter Strip for Contemporary Bathroom

numbersjunkie
6 years ago

I've pretty much decided that I want to tile all of the walls in my new master bath - floor to ceiling. After looking at tons of pictures on Houzz, so many of the contemporary baths I am attracted to have done this. It seems to keep the room simple and clean looking.

I haven't gotten the costs estimates to do that yet, but I'm hoping it won't blow us out of the water. One would think there would be some small savings from drywall finishing and painting, but not huge.

Anyway, my main concern is about one area where there will be an alcove for the toilet, right next to the vanity. It was going to be a toilet room, but we decided to eliminate the door and make the alcove less than the 5' deep it would have needed to be for a closed room. I was thinking that we would not do any casing here, so the tile would have to wrap the outside edges, including and the front edge of one wall partition, separating it from the vanity alcove. I recognize that our tile guy (and the framers too) had better be darn good to make that look right!

The tile we will be using is pretty much a solid color (very minor variation you only see up close). It is a floor tile, but will be used for the walls as well, so it is not thin like a subway. It is a 12 x 24 format which will be stacked (no offset). It has a 4 x 8 bullnose, but I have never much liked the look of the bullnose edges, especially for a contemporary space. I'm thinking that we will use a schluter stip on the outside edges. DH says he hates that stuff. I think he just hasn't seen it done well with a sleek metal like stainless.

I was hoping to get some feedback on this, and maybe pictures from those of you who are happy with the way these strips turned out in your space.

Comments (17)