SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theladyinred03

Please help me select appliances

theladyinred03
6 years ago

I am renovating an apartment in NYC and need to select my appliances. What should've been a fun project is now one I just want to be over given the unfortunate and stressful timing: I'm taking care of a newborn and an ill parent, so I would greatly appreciate your guidance as I won't have much time for my own research. I'm especially struggling with my oven purchases.

This is what I'm thinking:

-6 burner Wolf rangetop - fairly committed to this

-Range hood: I've been led to believe the building will let me install a vented hood. I like the look of the hood being installed under a cabinet. What would you recommend for a vented hood?

And, alternately, if I can't install a vented hood, what is the best non-vented? I know that non-vented hoods are generally useless but it may end up as my only option if the building decides not to let me vent one, so I will need to pick the "best of the worst" so to speak. What would that be?

-Dishwasher: I hand wash china, crystal, and plastic so I will use the dishwasher primarily for everyday dishes, flatware, and glasses. I care most about it (1) doing a good job cleaning with minimal pre-rinsing, (2) drying with minimal spots, and (3) being relatively quiet.

I am leaning towards a Miele or Bosch based on comments here but have no idea which models to consider. If you purchased one in the last few years and are happy with it, could you share the model number(s)?

-Wall oven configuration: This is the trickiest part for me. I want two ovens and a warming drawer but I can't figure out which ovens to buy. The one thing I do know is that one of the two ovens will be a "standard" electric convection oven. The question is what to do for the second oven.

Option 1? Buy two of the same "standard" electric convection ovens. This is the "safe" option and I know how to use them.

Option 2? Buy one convection and one speed oven. This provides more versatility but I've never used a speed oven before. Is there a steep learning curve? And will a 9x13 dish fit into a speed oven?

Option 3? Something I'm not thinking about?

I don't think I want a combi-steam oven. While I bake a lot, I never bake bread (usually pies, tarts, cakes, etc). Plus, if I were to get one, it would have to be a non-plumbed version since I won't be able to add a plumbing line in my apartment, so it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Given the other circumstances in my life right now, I realistically don't foresee having much time/interest to learn how to use a combi-steam oven successfully.

So my two questions are: which brand of oven and which configuration?

For the brand, I don't think I want to get Wolf ovens given the enamel issues. It seems like Miele and Bosch Benchmark get good reviews. Would you recommend those or a different brand?

And for the configuration, should I go with Option 1 (2 standard convection ovens) or Option 2 (a convection oven and a speed oven) or Option 3 (a convection oven and some other oven I haven't mentioned yet)?

And finally, for the warming drawer, any brands I should consider? I know Wolf makes one but don't know much about it.

Thank you for reading this post, which I know is lengthy but I hope that by providing as much information on my preliminary thoughts as possible, it will make it easier for you to weigh in. I really really appreciate it.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH