SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tjbone60

Talk Me Out of Corian

TJ Smith
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This is long winded so if you don't like to read, bail out now.

The wife and I bought a new house a a few months ago. Its got about 45 square feet of counter. The kitchen is dated but so what. Its in great shape - solid maple cabinets by Kraftmad with dove tailed drawers no less. Its not going anywhere. It had dome lights in the ceiling so I ripped out the ceiling by myself and than put in recessed lighting and pendants. Than re-sheetrocked it. Came out GREAT. People can't believe the difference.

My family has been in construction for 150+ years, I was the first generation not to go into it. So I am not easily frightened by most stuff and I can do a lot of it by myself.

What does scare me is the new fangled counters. Years ago, I would think nothing of tearing out the counter and just put in new laminate. But apparently laminate is lower than dirt now. With Corian/solid surface being one layer up on the dirt scale. Not liked anymore by anyone. The existing counter is laminate and is delaminating. It was laminated over particle board which of course swelled when it got wet and the kitchen sink itself is a train wreck - the sprayer doesn't work and it leaks. So as I said it needs a refresh.

We started looking at counters and have gotten a headache from it. Before I start let me say I am not putting down anyone that likes a particular material. These are just our opinions, you are entitled to like what you like.

We like traditional Carrara marble but frankly don't want to deal with the maintenance. We cook a LOT, that means lots of spills. We are not OCD about the kitchen looking like no one lives there but we also don't want to deal with the etching and sealing. So even though we like marble we don't like the way we have to take care of it. So yes we are lazy.

An example - I came down yesterday for breakfast and there is my 80 year old father painting watercolor paintings on the counter. The kids were playing with Hot Wheels on the counter and had set up a track while my dad was painting. I had to chuckle when I saw it. Can you imagine doing this with marble? I think not.

So we moved on to granite. Frankly we are not a fan of granite, don't like the speckling and its way to busy in general. Over the years I have continually heard how tough granite is, how it can't be stained, blah, blah. But than I find out, its not quite so maintenance free. Nowhere near as bad as marble but it still can theoretically stain. And it chips and breaks just like the marble. And there are people babbling about how it might be radioactive.

As its so hard I am afraid of breaking our plates and glasses. We have fairly precious Japanese stoneware along with china that we use all the time and have never had problems on laminate. But I have heard over and over that with granite you need to be super careful as you just have have to tap plates and they are toast.

We looked at quartz but I was not impressed with it. Yes it doesn't stain but it still chips like stone and its freaking hard. Which means the plate thing is still there. Some of the colors do look nice but lets be brutally honest - NOTHING looks like real Carrara.

So here we are looking at Corian. Every single person that I have mentioned Corian too said EWWW, its plastic!!!! I said so? Everything around us is made of plastic. I have seen Corian used in labs where no other substance would ever survive on the bench. And Corian survived just fine. Looks pretty much the way it looked when the lab was built. Here is why I like Corian:

-non porous so it doesn't stain.

-no sealing, EVER

-can be made into any shape you want

-no seams

-a ton of colors

-not quite as hard as granite or quartz

-not cold like stone

-can use pretty much any cleaning product on it - no special cleaners

-doesnt fade from sunlight unlike quartz

-easily repaired (yes I know how to use an orbital sander)

So its pretty low maintenance. The downsides from what I can see are the following:

-yes it can be scratched as its softer - but we use cutting boards now. Who cuts on granite unless you want to ruin your knife

-yes you can scorch it - but we already use trivets

Everyone is pushing granite or quartz on us. Babbling how Corian isn't natural, blah, blah. So what - your car or appliances aren't natural either. Its not like quartz is natural either, its made in a factory just like Corian. From what I have read the manufacturing of both Corian and quartz are kind of similar.

So I don't get why Corian is not more popular. Is it that people don't like the look? Or has marketing taken over pushing the natural stone and quartz. I know you can get common granite cheaper (forget the more expensive stuff) than Corian but quartz being cheaper? No way. To me from what I can see - granite is not really a good counter for cooking due to the sealing and stuff. Maybe for baking but for everything else maybe not.

Am I missing something about the Corian? I would have thought that considering its low maintenance and it being fairly tough it would be more popular.

Someone please talk me out of it before I do it.

Comments (110)

• Julie K
    2 years ago

@dexdan, where do you live? We found some good Corian fabricators for our shower walls, bench and pan but WOW, the cost is $$$!!! Especially for our custom Corian Grifform shower pan.

• dexdan
    2 years ago

Thanks, Julie. I’m a little south of Philadelphia. I did mean to add ”that wouldn’t cost $$$, but after the last scrubbing, I may start my usual rationalization of upfront costs vs. weekly cleaning labor (me!) costs. 😉

• Related Discussions

Talk me down or bail me out of jail

Q

Comments (101)
    hahahahaha - You are so right - I didn't even think about it that way! You guys crack me up! And I thought *I* was the one being sneaky! lol He has me doing all the weeding and mowing the back, too! Now we're *discussing* a vegetable garden. He wants to do it one way, I another. I told him that I was going to do it my way and he could just stay out of it! He's just won again, hasn't he? hmmmm....... beginning to catch on now...
    ...See More

Tiler trying to talk me out of all-tile niche

Q

Comments (20)
    Linelle - I love your niche!! I'm kind of late in responding to this post, but wanted to chime in because I am having the exact problem that Mongo described about the shower curb expanding. My bathroom was remodeled (I think) about 8 years ago by the PO. It was tiled with the floor tile and matches the tile in the shower floor. At some point water got into the wood through the grout, and the curb began 'blowing up' from the inside out. Of course where there's water, there's mold and it has caused major problems . Since I don't have any of the tile the PO used, my options were to slap some grout over it as a temporary fix or redo the whole thing. I've always hated this bathroom so I chose to bite the bullet and renovate. For this reason, I'm doing a stone curb and stone ledge in niche. Also, I really love the stone remnant I found, so am excited to use it throughout my bathroom and not just on the vanity. Good luck!
    ...See More

talk me out of white cesarstone?

Q

Comments (12)
    I have light Quartz in the kitchen (picked by us) and white Quartz on the vanity in the kids' bath(already came with the vanity which we bought second hand) . Kitchen Quartz is by Quatrztforms, bath Quartz-I've no idea. While kitchen Quartz is not all that (our GC was really pushing us into Quartz and how indestructible it is)and I do baby it to some extent especially it being so light and showing every crumb-it's not only me in the kitchen, and the spills are quite easily wiped off the next day after I find them lol. Bathroom Quartz-already has a stain from a brass soap dish( I guess) that doesn't go away, and a water ring from something that also doesn't go away. Well I'm there less, and I was under impression all Quartzes are so so indestructible I didn't catch the damage on time. And now it seems like it's there to stay. (I decided it's Quartz since it's a bright white very hard surface with little sparkles..hard to imagine it being anything else but Quartz)) So I guess a lot will depend on how this or that Quartz is made.
    ...See More

Blanco Silgranit: Talk me out of - or convince me!

Q

Comments (12)
    We’ve only had our Silgranit sinks for 5 mos so definitely can’t comment on the longevity... But so far I’m really happy with them (we have 2 - our main sink and a prep sink in the island). Specifically I like that it doesn’t seem to stain easily or look dirty (our color is Truffle so not super light or dark), a quick wipe and it’s clean. I definitely haven’t babied it as far as putting boiling water or fairly hot pans in it) & it seems to do fine...
    ...See More
  • Julie K
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We live in the SF Bay Area and our quote for Corian shower walls, bench, pan and baseboards came in at over $17,000!! We paid $5,500 for our Corian tub surround last year in our guest bedroom so I was shocked when I got our shower quote. FYI, these prices are for Glacier White which is the cheapest Corian color!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Context please. A Corian shower doesn't require nearly the labor and waterproofing that a tile shower does. Apples to apples, please, although that's difficult to do with a repairable, sanitary, grout-free and mildew-free solid surface shower.

• Julie K
    2 years ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC here's what we received with our Corian quote. Our quote includes coved corners inside the shower as well as coved corners on any baseboards.

• mark_rachel
    2 years ago

@Julie K

$17k?!? Whoa! How big is the shower? I would never pay that much for a shower. I would get another quote.

• Julie K
    2 years ago

@mark_rachel, our shower is roughly 72" x 36" so not a huge shower! I'm waiting for two more bids and hopefully those will be more reasonable. Prices in the SF Bay Area for anything involving labor are insanely high due to the high cost-of-living out here!! :-(

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

I built a small solid surface shower for a GC over twenty years ago and was shocked that I had to charge him $7,000.00. He marked it up to 10K; the customers were delighted. 17K sounds pretty reasonable these days expecially in HCOL areas.

• pippipal
    2 years ago

Julie K- don't know if you went with the Corian, but you are in a hard-water area. I had Corian shower walls which showed a lot of hard water deposits in spite of the fact that I had a water softener. Also, my Corian shower walls for a shower-over-tub were $8,000 in So. Cal and that was 10 years ago.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

If you believe hard water is tough on Corian, wait until you see what hard water does to natural stone, particularly the calcites.

• Julie K
    2 years ago

@pippipal thanks for the head's up. We're still 2+ months out from demo but we're planning to go with Corian walls, Grifform shower pan and bench along with Corian baseboards in our primary bathroom remodel

The water in our home is 8 to 9 gpg. I got the hardness number from our local water municipality because I needed the info for our Miele dishwasher setting for AutoDos.

Hearing what you paid for your Corian tub surround 10+ years ago totally blows my mind! We paid over $5500 for our Corian tub surround in our guest bathroom last fall and I thought that was ridiculous for such a small space, lol!!

• Jannette Green
    2 years ago

I built my house 15 years ago. i specifically chose corian for my kitchen and master bath. i still love it. i based it on my preference.

• Deborah B
    2 years ago

We put Corian in 25 years ago and they are still in great condition. We had them polished etc. About 10 yrs ago at $400 and they looked new again. Sink is molded into the counters and that I love. Gutting the kitchen in a few months and looking to use Corian again. In fact, if the original color worked with new design I’d reuse them!!!

• annecyle
    2 years ago

Joseph C.

Looking at Cesaerstone Turbine and it has a warm undertone ( more green than purple like many greys) What Corian would you recommend that I look at… I dont want to be dealing with water rings. Flooring to the left not my first choice but I am old and have fractured my back and this is Stepwise technology (low slip) The cabinets white dove.

thanks

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Sorry, but I try to stick to technical answers. I leave the color choices to others.

• Julie K
    2 years ago

@annecyle, you may want to confirm that whatever Corian color you choose is through body.

I have a very expensive custom Pearl Gray Grifform shower pan that's not through body and I've already had to have a few small nicks repaired by the fabricator. I dropped a heavy shower hook while playing with possible placements on the wall and the nick was so deep it couldn't be sanded out.

I assumed all Corian colors were through body but learned the hard way that they are not and my designer said she didn't know that when she suggested the color for my pan!

• Chessie
    2 years ago

Julie K " I assumed all Corian colors were through body but learned the hard way that they are not"

I have never heard of such a thing. This is from the Corian website:

"Corian, on the other hand, provides consistent coloring throughout the entire piece. If you were to crack open the surface, you would find a uniform color all the way through."

From another site...

the color and pattern are consistent throughout the entire countertop, so it will not change its appearance with wear and tear that naturally occurs over time.

• Julie K
    2 years ago

@Chessie, all I can tell you is that my Pearl Gray is definitely not through body. I was told by my fabricator there are a handful of colors that are not through body including PG. These are the nicks in my shower pan.

• Julie K
    2 years ago

Edited to add the fabricator came out yesterday and tried to sand it but it was too deep. Photos are before sanding. 

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth having them dig out a deeper hole so they can add matching glue to blend in better with the pan or just live with it.

I wish someone had told me because I would have been perfectly happy with a through body white pan!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Julie:

The color in Corian goes all the way through. What you are seeing is "bruising". Similar to "stun marks" in marble, when Corian suffers a sharp blow, it can turn white which is exactly what's happening here. Someone dropped something hard.

The fabricator isn't abrading enough. I'd put a belt sander with a 50 grit on it to remove the bruise, then follow a grit protocol to restore the finish. It's going to take a bit of work, as he has to keep the pitch on the floor without making a "butterdish".

I would not recommend an insert repair in a shower or sink floor. It looks great when it's finished, but the adhesive cannot widthstand the thermal cycling, fails, and becomes contaminated. Now you have a fine black line circling your repair.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"Is Corian the same color all the way through?

Consistent Color Throughout

Natural stone cannot offer uniformity. Every slice will look different from the next. Corian, on the other hand, provides consistent coloring throughout the entire piece. If you were to crack open the surface, you would find a uniform color all the way through."

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

If your fabricator doesn't even know that the color in Corian goes all the way through, no wonder he can't abrade away a bruise.

• Julie K
    2 years ago

Per the Corian distributor my fabricator does more Corian showers than anyone in the Bay Area.

https://www.sullivancountertops.com/

@Joseph Corlett, LLC, I sure wish you lived on the west coast instead of the opposite coast. I would have hired you for our shower!! ;-)

• Chessie
    2 years ago

Julie K This is right off of your fabricator's website. I would guess that the one guy you got is not very experienced with this material.

."Corian Solid Surface® is versatile and durable with solid beauty that goes all the way through, which makes it ideal for any situation."

• Missi (4b IA)
    2 years ago

@Julie K it’s too bad Joe can’t clone himself...I think we could keep him super busy!

• HU-602276500
    last year

We’ve had granite counters for 15 years. They still look new. I love the look and feel of natual stone. I’m thinking quartz will be outdated just like Corian is now. Both are man made in similar manufacting. It’s being marketing as the trend, but those are usually marketing strategies.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

HU:

Corian isn't "outdated". It's like subway tile and apron front sinks which are also classics. Glacier White Corian has been around for over 50 years, has a proven track record of sanitation, repairability, maintenance, and has never had an argument with a floor or backsplash, unlike some of the geometric/swirly mishmash we see here so often.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Sooo funny the disdain for Corian. 35 years ago it was NEW in kitchens (that's what the trade show claimed anyway) and it cost more per foot than lake shore property!!! My I have never understood why anyone wants a rock hard surface where breakable items will be dropped!! Stone is so unforgiving. But bottom line use and function do not drive modern Kitchens. We have waaaaay too much money in this country.

• Linda.Linda2
    last year

I love natural stone because you will never get the same pattern twice and it is beautiful. I hate Corian because it is sterile and frankly looks cheap, just like subway tile. Blah. Believe it or not, i also like formica laminate, especially with today's color choices.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"I love natural stone because you will never get the same pattern twice..."

True, but you will get Houzzers wondering why their fabricator couldn't magically make mother nature alter the slabs so the movement in their seams would line up perfectly. Never a problem with "sterile" solid color Corian.

• mcarroll16
    last year

@Joseph Corlett, LLC, how simple is it to sand/patch/repair a patterned Corian, something like Silver Birch? We're still agonizing over whether to switch to Corian from our planned quartz. But do you get the same "future-proof" benefits once you move away from solid color Corian?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Seams in particulate Corian as pictured above can be inconspicuous to the point of near-invisiblity. This is Avonite, but the results can be the same:

You'll have a difficult time getting natural stone or estone to do that.

• mcarroll16
    last year

Thanks!

• Linda.Linda2
    last year
    last modified: last year

Laugh. I also like real fur. Nothing comes close to it but some might argue the fake stuff is softer and feels better. However I will put fake natural looking green plants in my home. Don't like bugs inside.

If you like the look of Corian then you really don't need others comments to justify it. Just go for it. Relax and be happy :-)

• HU-274320912
    last year
    last modified: last year

My mother did Corian bathrooms in .....1971....and they still look good.

• Ally De
    last year

I've had Corian in both my kitchen and master bathroom in a prior house. I really liked the product. I had almost a pure white in the master bath, and a speckled grey/black/ivory in the kitchen. It felt soft, almost velvet-y to the touch and performed well as a counter.

When I built my current house, I decided I wanted granite. I also like my current granite counters (called arctic cream), and it too has performed well as a counter surface. It's different than Corian. Notice I said different, not better. We're debating at least some subjective qualities here, which are going to vary from person to person.

I like how the granite sparkes, and has depth and variety to it. I LOVE the natural variation, little inclusions, and swirls - but if you hang out here long enough you'll see people whining about that exact same variation. I dislike how hard and "clattery" it feels, particularly when you set glass dishware on it.

They each have their pros and cons, which as I just mentioned above will vary from person to person, because we all value different things differently. Know what you are buying and why, but get what you want. Life is too short to chose a counter material based on someone else's perceptions of it.

• Linda.Linda2
    last year

''True, but you will get Houzzers wondering why their fabricator couldn't magically make mother nature alter the slabs so the movement in their seams would line up perfectly. Never a problem with "sterile" solid color Corian''

Then go with the corian and you dont need to justify it.

• Devin Harner
    last year

Great thread! We want to install white Corian with matching backsplash instead of white quartz because I like the sterile, modern industrial look and the fact that it's not as hard as quartz and can be repaired. We're clumsy, and cook three meals a day, often with the help of an an enthusiastic seven year old. I don't want to think about ceramic plates and juice glasses hitting the quartz and sending shards ricochetting all over the kitchen. But I am hearing conflicting things about whether it can go behind a gas range as a backsplash. We are going to install a Bertazzoni 30" range that will sit flush with the splash. We had one in our old house with a ceramic tile splash and butcher block counters and it was fine. Bertazzoni told me it's fine since it vents out the front. But I am still leery. Any ideas? Thanks!

• la_la Girl
    last year

I would just install a stainless backsplash behind the range - they are inexpensive, tough and style neutral

• wannaknow2
    last year

Reading through this thread, I was just wondering if you can put in grip bars and whether you can have a niche in a shower with Corian walls?

Could you have those things if you used a quartz wall?

Could you use Corian as a niche (with the rest of the wall tile or quartz or anthing else), to make cleaning easier - no grout or moisture absorbtion / leaks, less or no chance of mold?

Thanks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Yes to all of your questions.

• Debra J
    last year

Planning to rip out Formica and install 27 linear feet of LG HI-MACS Arctic Granite countertop. Anyone use Arctic Granite? Also, Joe, my Formica gets warm, but never really hot, over my dishwasher. Anything special the (near retirement, very experienced - only sells solid surface) installer should be checking for, between the dishwasher and countertop so it doesn't melt?

• Julie K
    last year

@wannaknow2, here are some pics of our Corian shower with Corian shower pan and Corian niche. The pic with the two smaller niches are in a tub/shower combo with a Corian tub shower surround.

• Julie K
    last year

Also we have coved corners in both corners so the only seams are the ones inside the niche. Cleanup is a dream and the walls/pan are very easy to keep clean!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"Anything special the (near retirement, very experienced - only sells solid surface) installer should be checking for, between the dishwasher and countertop so it doesn't melt?"

Just follow the manufacturer's instructions and it will be fine.

• Kendrah
    last year

@Devin Harner I installed corian countertops a year ago along with a 5" corian backsplash behind our 30" Bertazzoni. It has done fine with the heat and flames, No problem at all. I love these counters. After owning marble, it is so nice to not have to worry about how my husband and guests are treating this surface. Everything wipes up and wipes out. Fantastic. We are installing them next week in the kitchenette/laundry room in our guest unit.

• wannaknow2
    last year

Thanks for sharing, Julie K! Functional AND beautiful AND easy to maintain. Very encouraging.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Your forgot solid surface is the most sanitary and repairs the most inconspicuously.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

@Julie K and @Kendrah both of your rooms are beautiful!

• Linda.Linda2
    last year

I'm a natural stone snob. Price differences are not that much from other materials. Never ever had my stones (granite, marble) resealed. Wash with soap and water and use a cutting board while cooking. Love to use granite gold polish cuz I like the smooth glassy feel. Cool to the touch. Dont like busy patterns but love the subtle unique patterns where no two will ever be the same. Anything you love will fit in your home. It defines you. Enjoy