SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dough71

Durable, non-shiny countertop suggestions

dough71
6 years ago

Looking to completely remodel our kitchen and going for a traditional farmhouse theme (I'm not into trends, but the farmhouse theme is appropriate for our ranch home in Colorado with AMAZING views and lots of interior wood). I want something that will still look "classic" in 20 years.

Because of the amount of sunshine from the large east and south windows, I am looking for a matte finish for the countertops (we'd go blind if we had shiny countertops, and I don't believe shiny countertops look good in a farmhouse kitchen). Currently, we are looking to purchase SW Alabaster shaker cabinets and the island will be in SW Backdrop. I'd like dark counter tops; however, I want EASY maintenance!

What do you recommend based on experience...Silestone Suede or Honed Granite? I've heard so many negative things (fingerprints, cracks, etching, etc.) about both surfaces, I am totally confused!! We had dark shiny granite tile countertops in our previous house, and I NEVER sealed them in 15 years! I NEVER saw stains or etching, and I always felt safe placing hot pots on them. So, I am leaning toward honed granite, but don't know if I should expect the same reliability with a honed finish.

Also, some photos of the suede Silestone and honed granite resemble Corian, in my opinion. Anyone have thoughts on that, as well?

Comments (21)