SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deckat648

What's cookin' for Thanksgiving? Please share

Bonnie
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Last night I made 2 dishes as a trial run for Thanksgiving. One was from Oct. Cooking Light, mashed potatoes. The other was an apple stresel pie from Betty Crocker online. I made veal piccata, baby carrots and salad. Both new recipes will grace our Thanksgiving table this year. The torch is being passed to our youngest DD's who bought a condo together and are getting the DR ready. I am giving them my late mother's china, which they are happy to have.

Will you be hosting? Do you plan on trying any new recipes?

CL mashed potatoes:

Apple pie

Comments (58)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

Thank you, Cindy!

Local eater, Good to know! I used baby carrots and put them in whole. I hate mushy carrots, and these "babies" were very thin so it seems to have worked (not eating till 7 so we will see!) I was very tempted to add mushrooms, a trick I like to reduce meat consumption, but I didn't want to muddy the flavor.

Rita, I made raviolis last year with company after Christmas and everyone had so much fun with it! CF is the Cheesecake Factory. Yes, it is the home of 2100-calorie entrees but they have a menu called "skinnylicious" that is quite good (with calorie info). Anyway, they make a creamy caesar my family likes.

I am so into table settings now! I am going to make one of these and I am so copying the floral arrangement, TDF!

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Petal Pushers: Sharing Our Thanksgiving Traditions 2

Q

Comments (64)
    Hello ladies! After a long day at my craft show, I came home to a wonderful box from Anita! Wow, girl! I had no idea you could stuff so many fantastic things into one of these boxes!! Anita sent: Lots of lollipops - my kiddos love them! A bunch of daylily seeds 2 voodoo lily bulbs A Milk + Honey brug A Frosty Pink brug (OMG - I can't WAIT to grow these!!!) An agave - so cool - my first! A Commander In Cheif Asiatic Lily bulb An Easter Bonnet Lily bulb A Rhodos Asiatic Lily bulb A Kiss Me Kate Lily bulb (wow - I love all these lillies!!!) Rose Mallow seeds Crackerjack Marigold seeds Evening Primrose seeds Maltese Cross seeds 2 boxes of corn muffin mix and a recipe for Broccoli Cornbread (sounds yummy!) A garden trowel (I needed this - all my cheap ones have bent like crazy!) Pumpkin baking cups (always can use these!!) Lots of napkins A leaf sticker sheet A LOVELY flower plaque A Garden All - it looks fantastic! I'll bet this works great! A beautiful handcrafted dream catcher - wow, this is lovely! I will hang this in somewhere special! A beautiful rose flat - I'll need to put the flagpole back up on the porch! A dolphin windsock A Lucky Clover grow kit - awesome! A Sunflower Grow kit - very cool too! A wooden spoon (thanks - my Lily keeps taking off with mine!), wrapped in a beautiful fall colors towel! 2 Cappuccino lip balms - yummy!!! Wow - I hope I got it all! You packed an INCREDIBLE box, Anita! Thank you so very much! I feel like my box was so inferior now! Going now to hang up my beautiful dream catcher! Becki
    ...See More

Please take a picture of your Thanksgiving table

Q

Comments (17)
    Rhome: Wonderful pic of your family! How lucky you are. DH and I were alone this Thanksgiving. Lots of invites, but we decided to do a quiet day after having just returned from a little vacation. So it was an empty table at our house. DH had to watch his beloved Packers, so we ate on trays in front of the TV. When we do host Thanksgiving dinner, I use all the best linens, best china, the real crystal, good silver, etc. And we all dress appropriately. The grandkids love helping set the table, and it's a little education for them setting a proper place setting. I often do a craft project with them to make place cards and pretty napking rings out of ribbon. Great fun! They grow so fast, it won't be long and they will be rolling their eyes at me. But having everyone at the table is absolutely the best part!
    ...See More

What's cooking in your kitchen for Thanksgiving?

Q

Comments (43)
    There are only two of us, and no relatives in town...so we are going to Palm Springs for actual thanksgiving, staying at the Parker. Dinner will be at Mr. Parker's, if they actually do one (its a little unclear still). BUT, in honor of thanksgiving coming I decided to cook a turkey dish, something I rarely do. What I did was make pozole built around the idea of a traditional yucatan dish called "Pavo en Relleno Negro." The original is made with turkey stuffed with a kind of sausage meatloaf, with hard boiled eggs in the middle, which is simmered in a rich broth flavored with "Recado Negro." Recado Negro, also known as Chilmole, is a paste made primarily of charred chiles - pitch black in color. It is a very unique flavor, specific to the Yucatan - though it looks something like Oaxacan mole negro, it is completely different in flavor. Anyway, I cooked pozole in homemade turkey stock along with chopped tomato and a turkey breast. After the breast was poached, I removed it, shredded it, and then returned the meat to the pot. I also made meatballs with ground turkey, flavored with mexican oregano, thyme, bay, allspice, black pepper, and a bit of the chilmole, which I formed around hard boiled egg yolks (my wife doesn't like to eat pork; it would have been more traditional to use a pork sausage instead of the ground turkey here). These were browned and then finished by cooking in the pozole. The whole thing was enriched with a strained puree of Chile Mulatto, red sweet pepper and recado negro/chilmole.
    ...See More

Whats everyone cookin this week?

Q

Comments (26)
    Since going back to work after having Dan, I do as much of my cooking and preparation on Sunday for the week as I can. I can't be bothered to 'cook' after work. This also saves clean up during the week usually. I've also been trying to use up stuff I already have one hand so that has guided my choices this week. I spent less on groceries this week than I have in ages. Monday: Spaghetti and Meat Sauce, breadsticks The meat sauce and spaghetti are both cooked and stored separately. I will heat them both up after work while I cook the bread sticks (frozen) in the toaster oven Tuesday: Smothered Chicken and Rice I cooked the peppers, onions and mushrooms today. I'll marinate the chicken the Tuesday morning before I leave for work. I'll cook the chicken on the Griddler (or maybe the the gas grill), top with the vegetable mixture and some cheddar cheese. It's a knockoff of something I've had in a restaurant. I'll heat up the rice that I cooked today and add some seasonings to it. Wednesday: An Asian pork medallion recipe that's quick enough to cook after work with ramen noodles (not something I cook a lot but Nick loves them and since we're already having rice on Tuesday, it's something fast and different). Egg rolls in the toaster oven. Thursday: Hot dogs with sauerkraut, French fries. We always have salad on hand too. Friday we leave for Great Wolf for the weekend.
    ...See More
  • sheesh
    6 years ago

Thanksgiving has always been our favorite holiday for the planning, cooking, baking, beautiful table settings, leftovers. Maddie, our menu is the same as yours except we also have a raw/fresh cranberry orange sauce with the ocean spray jelly, and i will also bake mini cranberry muffins for their wonderful sweet-tartness. They are perfect with regular Parker house rolls and all that heavy food.

Bonnie thanked sheesh
  • rosesstink
    6 years ago

I love Thanksgiving too, maddielee. We alternate years with some friends. This is our year to host. In the approximately 40 years (yikes) we've been doing this we've never had a traditional turkey meal. It's always host's choice. This year DH is making Chinese food at the request of some of the friends. I'll take care of the apps, which is a little tough with a Chinese meal. I don't want to be in DH's way so want prepare ahead things. I'll figure something out. None of us care much for sweets but we always have a dessert. A friend will bring that.

Oh, we also do a different before dinner drink each year. Although not all Chinese, I'm thinking of making maple-bourbon smashes.

Bonnie thanked rosesstink
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

Maybe a Lychee martini, roses?

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

Traditional meal here too... all the norms + creamed onions which is a family tradition.

Mtn, love those place settings. The rosemary wreath is my personal fav.

Also love the table runner. I really need to find a reason to order one!

Bonnie thanked Funkyart
  • Bonnie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Funkyart, creamed onions was a family tradition in my late dad's family, going back as long as anyone can remember. I remember them fondly at my grandmother's Thanksgiving feast. What a yummy treat!

• Fun2BHere
    6 years ago

We got roped into a Friendsgiving meal, darn it! I have no idea of the menu. I guess I will receive my assignment soon. We have to drive two hours to the destination so I'm guessing I might be doing roasted vegetables and some sort of bread or dessert. Mini cranberry muffins sound delicious, Sheesh. Unlike rolls, I wouldn't have to try to keep them hot.

Bonnie thanked Fun2BHere
  • functionthenlook
    6 years ago

Just my kids and gran- kids, 8 of us. The usual Turkey, etc. We do strictly bread stuffing in my corner of the country. It always intrigues me how different parts of the country uses different kind of of ingredient in their stuffing. Wonder if it is because of the nationality that settled in the area or because of the abundance of certain local ingredients. My area is land locked and was mostly settled by Germans, Irish, Polish and Italians. For desert it is pumpkin pie and pumpkin roll.

Bonnie thanked functionthenlook
  • czarinalex
    6 years ago

I always do Thanksgiving. I am told I am not allowed to deviate from the menu. Big turkey, fresh cranberry sauce, candied sweet potatoes(with Jack Daniels!), my mom's sausage stuffing(cooked outside turkey so technically dressing) and stuffed mushrooms. I can usually sneak some new veggie dish in there.. haven't decided yet for this year. My company always bring dessert. :-)

Bonnie thanked czarinalex
  • Bonnie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Functionthenlook, I much prefer a bread stuffing IN the bird, which as you said, is based on tradition. For dessert it is always pumpkin pie and apple pie. In my family we love tradition.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

I am a guest at our family dinner (at my DB's and SIL) but it is always partially potluck :-) My contribution will be mashed yams with goat cheese and fresh cranberry relish. I always get asked to bring that and I never make it the same two years in a row....gotta shake things up! My SIL will make the turkey and gravy, my niece will likely bring the dressing and a salad and my bro is in charge of the veg - generally mashed potatoes and Brussel sprouts in some form. DS is bringing pumpkin pie.

Bonnie thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • deegw
    6 years ago

We are visiting DD in her new apartment and going out for dinner. The menu sounds SO good.

– Cold Salads to pique the vegetarian and vegan interest, such as a Pumpkin Tortellini Salad with sherry pumpkinseed vinaigrette, Tuscan Kale and Caramelized Pear with spicy walnuts & cider dressing, Citrus Lobster Salad, and more

– Antipasti Displays of grilled and chilled vegetables, charcuterie and breads with olive tapenade, pimento cheese and sun dried tomato hummus

– Seafood Display including poached shrimp & crab claws, smoked salmon, trout and shellfish

– Thankful Bounty of a traditional spread with smoked turkey, roasted acorn squash, candied yam casserole, gravy, duck confit and other classics

– Action Station with Yukon whipped potatoes

– Carving Items consisting of roasted turkey, glazed ham, smoked prime rib and yeast rolls

– Children’s Buffet offering fruit salad, chicken fingers, Nathan’s hot dog sliders, tater tots, sautéed green beans, assorted cookies and brownies

– Pastry Chef Sara’s Holiday Desserts selection of pies, cakes and traditional confections

Bonnie thanked deegw
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

I just finished eating (btw Cooking Light's Beef Daube Provençal, highly reccommend) but y'all are making me hungry.

• yogacat
    6 years ago

I make an appetizer for DH's family gathering. The guys like stuff on stick, so I marinate onions, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, etc. in balsamic dressing and skewer it all with mozzarella balls and salami. I usually cook our Thanksgiving meal the day after - turkey breast, green beans, sage cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, fresh cranberries, and fruit salad. I'll buy a pumpkin pie.

Bonnie thanked yogacat
  • User
    6 years ago

I'll be going to my DIL's brother's home as usual. It's a big family (there will be 28 of us), all of whom love sweets and seem to shun veggies (at least for T'giving dinner). The menu is pretty traditional (duck, turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, roasted veggies, pies, etc), with the addition of THE best home-made tabouleh. I bring pineapple stuffing (it's toothache sweet) and homemade biscotti. I use a biscotti recipe given to me by trailrunner (remember Caroline?) about 5 years ago and my DIL's family LOVES them. I have to closely time when I start biscotti production because I don't want 12 dozen biscotti yelling my name for too long.

Bonnie thanked User
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

delilah, Biscotti di prato?

• Bonnie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I miss Trailrunner and woul like that recipe if you don't mind Delilah.

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

Thanksgiving dinner is my favorite of all meals. Our best friends host it at their home; we host Christmas Day dinner here. Best friend makes the turkey with oyster stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, yams, homemade pumpkin and pecan pies, coffee, iced tea, and her fabulous rolls. I bring various appetizers, wines, sparkling grape juice for her 4 grandkids, a veggie tray with hummus dip, my homemade cranberry-orange relish, and some sort of hot vegetable dish or a Waldorf salad. Our friends have two adult kids, their spouses and 4 grandkids. With DH and myself, and DD home from grad school we’ll be 13 for dinner. It’s always a festive, happy day with lots of delicious food. I love Thanksgiving!

• rosesstink
    6 years ago

A lychee martini. Brilliant, mtn. Everyone, except me, loves martinis. TY

(Now I have to buy more martini glasses. With no remaining cupboard space to store them. Anyone know of a smash your glass tradition in China?)

• sheesh
    6 years ago

I forgot about the Waldorf salad! My family would be very disappointed if i forgot to take it to dinner at son's house. I'm glad you mentioned it, Lynn. Phew!

• amylou321
    6 years ago

Going to mom's house. She's planning on making the turkey,stuffing and mashed potatoes. In reality,the day before she will text me to ask me to come do it because she's having to much fun with the visiting grandkiddies to fool with it. Which is fine,I love cooking. I'm making Mac and cheese,devilled eggs, cranberry apple pear cherry sauce and my olive brushetta. I'm also making roasted shrimp,at my sister's request,as her poor husband has newly acquired severe food allergies and his face swells up if he eats poultry,beef,pork,nuts or dairy. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Mom will be making the pies and rolls for sure.

• texanjana
    6 years ago

We usually stay home on Thankgiving, but this year we are going to my 93 yo father in law's home. My mother in law died earlier in the year, so it will be an emotional time. She was a fabulous cook and a lovely person whom I dearly loved.

I already ordered our Greenberg smoked turkey, and I will be cooking everything else. Mostly traditional-cornbread dressing, gravy, yummy potatoes (our adult children insist on this every year), green bean casserole, salad, cranberry orange relish, rolls, apple, pumpkin and pecan pies with freshly whipped cream. I did also order some jalapeno-pecan dressing from Central Market (a local grocery store), which our oldest son and I love.

My dad also died this year and we will go to my mom's for Christmas day. In some ways I am dreading the holidays and just want them to be over since I think they will be difficult. In other ways I am looking forward to them since I know I have to fully feel these feelings of grief in order to heal.

• aok27502
    6 years ago

We'll be at the in-laws' with about 12 others. Traditional meal, I have been assigned fresh cranberry relish, deviled eggs and home made dinner rolls.

This group does not appreciate breaking tradition. MIL thought of doing something different, I suggested lasagna. Apparently that was shot down before it got off the ground.

• User
    6 years ago

Cantuccini di Prato Biscotti (recipe by Trailrunner)

Makes about 2 dozen biscotti

Heat oven to
    350 degrees

Combine:

¾ c
    toasted, chopped almonds

1 tsp
    baking powder

¼ tsp
    salt

2 c flour

¾ c + 2 T
    sugar

Mix
    together:

3 large
    eggs

1 tsp
    vanilla extract

1 ¼ tsp
    almond extract

Add dry
    ingredients to wet until just combined. Form a 14”x3” log on a parchment-lined
    baking sheet. Bake 30-40 minutes. Cool 15-20 minutes. Slice ½” thick and place
    cut-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet (I reuse the parchment). Bake
    10 minutes on each side. Cool completely.

Delilah’s
    Cranberry-Orange Biscotti (not true to the Cantuccini di Prato recipe)

Substitute
    ¾ c chopped dried cranberries for the toasted almonds, 1 ¼ tsp orange extract
    for almond extract, and add the zest of 1 orange. For chocolate-topped
    biscotti, line up cooled biscotti so they form a log again and drizzle with
    melted chocolate.

Bonnie thanked User
  • hhireno
    6 years ago

My family likes to mix it up and try new recipes every year. One year my (87 yo) Mother commented that her mother wouldn't recognize anything we served.

The only reason we still have turkey is because someone always gets a free one and she's willing to cook it and bring it to my house. I host but a few years ago I said I'm not making turkey any longer because I don't like the taste, smell, or the greasy mess it makes. Someone said "I don't mind that and my kids like turkey so I'll do it." Perfect.

So, that sister will make the turkey. My celiac sister will make dessert since she has all the specialty flours and is a great baker. I'll do the sides but I don't know what they will be yet. I've been wanting to try Smitten Kitchen's fall-toush dish, with delicata squash & Brussels sprouts, so there's one side, decided.

We've never been pie people or stuffing/dressing people. I don't even know what the difference is between them. My mother is the only who likes canned cranberry sauce so we'll have a small can for her and a fresh cranberry sauce for everyone else. Voilà! Another side decided.

Hmm, if I keep rambling and typing I'll come up with all the sides I need...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

One of my DD's doesn't like turkey either. She says it "tastes like feathers." I get it but I like turkey. The more I think about it, there is not much of a traditional dinner that all 5 of us like. Only 3 of 5 like yams (maybe because I never made them with marshmallows, or like my mom did, sauteed in butter and brown sugar). Four of five like stuffing, a different 4 of 5 like turkey. Only 2 of 5 eat gravy (not me). etc etc ... the only thing we all agree on is pumpkin custard, though DS said to me "why is it we don't have crust again?"

Good reminder why I will focus on the decor and the activities!

• ilovecomputers
    6 years ago

The usual, traditional turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, dressing, etc. I am trying a new recipe: it's a Korean carrot salad recipe. The Tea Time Russian restaurant in Chicago serves this delicious carrot salad with their entrees, and I'm hoping this will taste just like it.

• hhireno
    6 years ago

it's a Korean carrot salad recipe

Please tell me more.

• Bonnie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We have a vegan in our family and she's hosting! Delilah, many thanks for the biscotti recipes. I will make them this weekend and take pics!

• amylou321
    6 years ago

A vegan thanksgiving....that sounds horrible. Good luck.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

It sounds challenging. : )

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

The first in many I am not hosting. However, I am requested to bring an apple pie and appetizer/snacks. ibid.

And traveling 4 hours the day before so, homemade apple strudel pie made Wednesday morning and well packed crackers, flatbread, rosemary pecans, sopressata, homemade beet dip, cello whisps, assorted cheeses, olives and some kind of honey mustard pretzel m&m mix for the one 9 year old.

• jojoco
    6 years ago

As a child, I spent most of my Thanksgivings at the Harvard Club in NYC with my extended family. It was the most beautiful, clubby setting, but the food, though delicious, fell short of everything that comes to mind when you think about turkey day. You didn't even have to order turkey--(the salmon was delicious). So when I had my own family, I overdid it every year. Too much of everything. Now my kids are scattered and it's just the three of us this year. We're doing a repeat of last year which was a brisket on the smoker. It's good and all, (and I'm not cooking,) but I do miss my leftover turkey, stuffing, onion, mayo and leafy greens on great bread. (My dh thinks stuffing on bread is redundant--he is a cretin.)

Jo

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

We are hosting the family here this year. Most years we do. And it’s typical Thanksgiving fare, and like maddielee and Lynn, a typical menu like everyone expects. I get a lot of ‘You are having _____ aren’t you?’ Most of us, me included, like turkey, and we also have a small ham. Sides are southern cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole (no marshmallows - more of a praline topping), deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, green beans with bacon, maybe some Brussels sprouts this year, rolls, and desserts will be pumpkin cheesecake and apple crisp and maybe one other tbd.

Bonnie thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

We go to my DB and SIL. We usually have 18 or so....probably 12 this year. I bring appetizers and the last few years Ive brought the mashed potatoes (with cream cheese !) so SIL has one less time consuming thing to worry about and more room on the stove. I always bring chili cheese dip and nacho chips....now a tradition and crowd favorite and easy peasy! And i bring a healthier app...fruit and/or veggie based. We have the traditional meal. DB always makes Sally Lunn bread in lieu of rolls and pumpkin cake for dessert. I’ll usually bring a kid friendly dessert...brownies, woopie pies, or cookies.

My youngest and his gf are vegan. Ill usually bring hummus and crackers for them and they can also eat from the fruit/veggie platter. I set aside some plain mashed potatoes for them. They also bring their own food as well. They dont starve! They wont be with us this year though, they are in Kansas with her folks...boo hoo. TG is my favorite holiday as well.

Bonnie thanked Joaniepoanie
  • zippity1
    6 years ago

at the risk of sounding like the grinch of thanksgiving, i have prepared the meal for over 30 years generally with help (a pie, the rolls, and green bean casserole?) we usually entertain our kids (and grandkids) and dh brothers and wives-- neither of whom cook while i generally enjoy preparing the meal, i do wish someone would invite me to their place for just one thanksgiving (i also prepare meals for all the other holidays) it doesn't help that i'm also preparing breakfast lunch and dinner for all the other days in the weekend....... anyway it'll be turkey and cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, corn and green beans and homemade cranberry relish, a relish tray, fruit salad and several pies, maybe a cheesecake. it all works out, but i will start preparations tomorrow, making everything in advance that i possibly can.... now that i've complained i feel much better....

Bonnie thanked zippity1
  • hhireno
    6 years ago

i do wish someone would invite me to their place for just one thanksgiving

Don't wish, people will never volunteer and give up the sweet gig of you doing most of the work. Say something along the lines of "I'm putting everyone on notice that I will not host next year. Talk amongst yourselves and decide who will host. I'll bring (wine/dessert/just my sparkling personality/whatever you're willing to make)."

Bonnie thanked hhireno
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    6 years ago

It doesn't help that i'm also preparing breakfast lunch and dinner for all the other days in the weekend......."

That's way too much work to do solo. If you don't speak up, nothing will change. If they don't cook, they could bring pastries for breakfasts and deli for lunches. Who can't make a hamburger? There are very cute paper plates for Thanksgiving. That's how I would deal with the other breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Keep it simple and let the Thanksgiving meal shine.

Bonnie thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • 3katz4me
    6 years ago

We had Thanksgiving at our house for many years until parents and other family members passed and some siblings decided to go their own way. Now we go to a friend's lake cabin. Their kids don't come home for TG so it's just the four of us. It's our "new" tradition though it's probably been 7-8 years now. Friends do the turkey and trimmings and I bring a couple vegetable sides. I've experimented with many things but now have settled on a sweet potato dish that I bring every year plus some kind of green vegetable that varies. I've had a few Brussels sprouts dishes, creamed spinach, collard greens, etc. I'm thinking Brussels sprouts again this year. It's very pleasant, low key, no pressure, great food. We have all come to the conclusion that our favorite gravy is one that comes out of a jar - we've taste tested a few and chosen our favorite.

Bonnie thanked 3katz4me
  • lunalee101
    6 years ago

I've been doing Thanksgiving for the past 25 years and it has slowly evolved into a semi-homemade meal. We have sit down for 38-42. I use to have two kitchens when my mother lived with us but for the past several years I've only had one so we get the turkeys from Boston Market and warm them up on the grill. Next went the homemade mashed potatoes - Simply Potatoes now in two crockpots. We could never produce enough gravy even trying different make ahead recipes so Swanson gravy is my friend in another crockpot. We do make two different stuffings and asparagus, broccoli, corn and sweet potatoes. I make a fresh fruit salad and real whip cream and everyone else brings pies. Apps are crudite, different humuses, 5 different cheeses, spinach dip and - no change ever on this one - Lipton onion soup mix and Wise potato chips.

I'm a pretty good cook but Thanksgiving at my house is just about the togetherness - both our large families and friends without a place to go. After dinner the family musicians play.

I use to have the kitchen and house cleaned up by the time I went to bed but now we have a lot of twenty somethings who hang out for hours and they do the final clean-up.

• mercurygirl
    6 years ago

Amylou, can you share info about your cranberry apple pear cherry sauce? Sounds great!

• Bonnie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am enjoying all the traditions shared here. To clarify, my daughter who is vegan is hosting with a sister who is not vegan. The non-vegan is willingly cooking the turkey. I'm glad to pass the tradition down. zippity1, your efforts are more than gracious, but you need a break. Suggest going to a restaurant next year and then see who offers to host.

We have hosted Thanksgiving for most of our married lives because we like to cook and have the space. However, we never dealt with overnight guests and all that entails. What you describe would have driven me out of the tradition much sooner!

• 4kids4us
    6 years ago

I offered to host this year but our gathering is not very big. My parents usually host when my sister and her family come (every other year) but I know how much work it is. My mother does not really enjoy cooking but my father loves to. It's a lot of work as they are older now. It's not really the cooking but all the prep ahead of time and then the clean up afterward. A couple of years ago I offered to host either Thanksgiving or Christmas to lessen the stress, but for some reason, my kids prefer going to my parents' house for Christmas so that means Thanksgiving falls to me. My sister's family lives 6 hours away, so when they come, they stay for several days with my parents which means she does not make anything to bring. Since my father loves to cook, he has offered to bring two vegetable side dishes which will be some sort of Italian dishes since that is his heritage and cuisine of preference for cooking. My mom likes to bake so she will do three pies - pumpkin, pumpkin chiffon and chocolate. DH will make an apple pie as well.

Our menu is what I've always thought traditional (until one year we spent Thanksgiving in Atlanta and discovered they had different traditions). We will have smoked turkey (dh will cook in his smoker), mashed potatoes, bread stuffing (dressing really b/c I won't do it in the turkey but we still call it stuffing), sweet potato casserole (not with marshmallows, mine has a pecan topping), gravy, and two vegetable side dishes from my father. We don't do rolls/bread - enough carbs already on the menu.

My niece and nephew are vegetarians, so won't be eating turkey but my sister said not to worry, they will just eat the side dishes. My 18 y/o dd stopped eating meat this summer and has managed to continue to remain vegetarian her first few months away at college. She informed me though that she has decided she will eat turkey on Thanksgiving and may go back to eating poultry as she is tiring of the limited vegetarian offerings at her school. My sister and BIL also stopped eating meat, mainly to eat healthier, but don't consider themselves strict vegetarians and told my mother they will have turkey on Thanksgiving. I'm just breathing a sigh of relief that my brother is spending Thanksgiving with his inlaws b/c SIL and my niece are apparently now vegan so that would have made most of our dishes unsuitable.

Bonnie thanked 4kids4us
  • Bonnie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

In my experience with a vegan daughter, they take care of their own needs and do not expect others to do so for them. 4kids, your sister should bring something, why not? Maybe you need to give her a duty-pick up the wine or something else that you can off-load. I have a SIL like yours so you have my sympathy!

• bothell
    6 years ago

We've hosted for 20 years, had up to 24 people at the gathering. This year only 12 plus the 3 grand babies that arrived in the past year. This is probably our last time as we are plotting to move/downsize next spring. We always do a traditional dinner except that I have been adding replacement dishes for things that never get eaten. Green bean casserole is now fresh green beans sautéed with bacon & onion in olive oil; canned cranberries are now fresh cooked with orange & grand marnier added; sweet potatoes do not have marshmellows & 1 son in law is doing a deep fried turkey this year. Leftovers are required by our group & we send extras home with anyone who wants them.

Bonnie thanked bothell
  • User
    6 years ago

"My dh thinks stuffing on bread is redundant--he is a cretin." I KNOW this was said tongue-in-newlywed cheek, right, Jo?

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    6 years ago

The only thing I want to eat after all of my hard work is bread stuffing and pumpkin pie. You can have the rest.

• jojoco
    6 years ago

Oh Delilah, I just looked up "cretin" and never knew the true definition. I feel like a heel for using it so flippantly. My dh is simply not a fan of carbs.

But I still love him.

Jo

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    6 years ago

This is absolutely the final menu - no more changes allowed;

Roast Turkey

Turkey Gravy

Cornbread Dressing

Mashed Potatoes

Green Bean Casserole (Not the one with canned soup – we don’t
    like that one)

Creamed Corn

Creamed Red Cabbage (a first for us some on Gardenweb said
    this is a Christmas tradition in some families so anxious to try it)

Sauteed Carrots and Onions (I created this to try – hope it
    is good)

Ocean Spray Jellied Cranberry in the can

Homemade Hot Rolls

Spice Cake with Caramel Glaze