SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex74

My new kitchen layout - Please give me your opinion!

Alex Kim
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi,

So I finally hired a great architect who is working with my great KD and this is what they came up with. We are basically flipping the family room and kitchen! The left schematic is "as is" and the right is what is proposed. It just seems to flow better.

Before I finally place the order for all the cabinets and appliances, I want get some opinions on this layout. The room dimensions are 22'3" x 15'6". There is a laundry room on the left of the kitchen which will also have a 20cu.ft refrigerator and 36" wide x 24" deep pantry so we think it should be enough pantry space. All appliances will be custom panelled for fully integrated look. From left back wall to right are the following:

1) Two 24" wide pantry units, one with shelving on door and several pullout shelves in the cabinet. The other one has 3 large pullout shelves below and fixed shelving above.

2) 30" refrigerator column (Thermador)

3) 24" freezer column (Thermador)

4) 60" of counter space

5) 36" frameless induction cooktop (Bosch Benchmark) with hidden/integrated Miele pullout vent/hood

6) 36" counter space

7) Double speed/convection oven (Bosch Benchmark)

8) The island will be 96" long comprised of 18" trash pullout, 36" sink, 24" Miele dishwasher, and 18" bank of 4 drawers. There will be a 15" overhang on the long side to seat 4 people.

There are a few things I'm unsure about so hopefully some of you Houzzers can help me. Please let me know what you think of the following:

1) In regards to the island, I prefer the 18" trash pullout to be in the wall oven corner instead of next to the table because it will put the sink pretty much right behind the cooktop. We are right-handed so it is much more comfortable rotating to the right then to the left. The KD suggested that the DW go on the side of the wall ovens since the door will not get in the way of the main traffic area. Don't know what to do here....

2) There was a bit of disagreement on the extra seating between my architect and KD. My architect wanted to have an island along with a fixed table attached to the island. My KD would prefer just a separate table for more flexibility/access and also he was concerned with the refrigerator door swing getting in the way. We have a small family of 4, so actually what I prefer is just an overhang on the short side (along with the long side) to seat an additional 2 people which would be better for eye contact and it would be more spacious since there is no table. We can put a long dining table behind the island just for for gatherings and parties. Also, if we just add the overhang on the short side, should I extend the island a little longer? (maybe 1 to 2 feet). What do you think would be the best layout?

3) Is the double wall ovens in the corner of the room OK? When I first saw the drawings, it seemed a little weird, but my KD said its fine.

4) Is the position of the refrigerator and freezer columns ok? We first had the fridge on the right side and the freezer on the left like a typical side by side, but my KD said it is better if the fridge opens to the workspace. The only thing is that the refrigerator is now farther from the main workspace which my wife didnt like. We also considered the fridge and freezer both opening to the right (hinge on left side), but nixed this idea because only one can be opened at a time or the door would hit the other door.

5) Is 48" aisle clearance enough or should we go to 54" or even 60"?

6) If we were to just go with the overhang and no table, KD is suggesting 18" overhang (with support brackets) instead of 15" for comfort since it will be our main eating place. Will this look aesthetically ok? Or is 18" too much? This kitchen will be very modern with slab doors, european cabs, and 2cm thick quartz.

Please give me your suggestions or opinions, good or bad, before I pull the trigger on appliances and cabinets....

Comments (22)