SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

Gardeners Favorite, Veggie Seed SWAP

beth_b_kodiak
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This will be a group swap of non hybrid and non GMO seeds. Mostly veggies but OK to include some herbs too.

If you grow something that your family loves to eat this is a chance to share the seeds and try someone else's favorites.

One of the benefits of non hybrid varieties is that you can save the seeds and so save money too.

Be sure your seed are clean and dry before you package and ship them.

Here is the plan:

You will send small packets of your favorite veggie seeds. Enough for the new grower to "TRY IT" Approx 20 to 25 seeds for things like beans, peas, turnips onions.

8 to10 seeds for things like tomaotes, peppers, melons.

Each packet must be labeled with your name, Houzz member name, specific name of seed type and info you may have to share about the plants. Most can be found on line for basic growing instructions no need to include the available info.

Limit of 25 packs with up to five of one kind.

You must ship to me by Jan 5th 2018 so I can get them sorted and returned by the end of Jan.. Send same amount of postage for return as it cost to mail to me. Any excess postage will be returned.

No guarantee on what you will get as it depends on what is sent in but I guarantee at least the same number of packets as you sent. OK to state preferences and I'll do the best I can

QUESTIONS????? speak out.

Hope this will be fun and start something new so we get to try a variety of new types of goodies for our tables

Comments (159)

• uptreasa
    4 years ago

Broccoli, beets, napa cabbage, pole beans, okra, peas, cauliflower,

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    4 years ago

Beth, I can't remember if I put these on my wish list. I want to winter sow a few veggies this year, so if you have any Brussels sprouts, broccoli Rabe or fresh onion, shallot, leek or scallion seeds, I'd love to give them a try. Thanks

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

THANKS Treasa and Jen It really is easier with a wish list

• Kelli
    4 years ago

Berries, melons, Asian greens or things that go good in stir fry!, big fan of cherry tomatoes and sweet peppers. Never tried okra, send some my way! :)

beth_b_kodiak thanked Kelli
  • Oladon
    4 years ago

Herbs, berries... pretty much anything unusual that's likely to grow in my zone (preferably no tropicals)! :)

Prefer no okra... can't get it to do much here, though I'm a sucker and am going to try yet again this year (already have a bunch though).

Thanks, Beth!

beth_b_kodiak thanked Oladon
  • Karen (Nebr)
    4 years ago

Beans. No flowers if possible. Thanks

beth_b_kodiak thanked Karen (Nebr)
  • beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kelli, I stir fry most anything..... how about some yard long beans. Perfect for stirfry

Annie, Red okra? Just kidding. If you already have a bunch I'll behave. Just getting punchy shuffling the piles around,LOL

• Kelli
    4 years ago

Yard long beans sound great! :)

beth_b_kodiak thanked Kelli
  • Oladon
    4 years ago

Sure, I'll try red okra. :) I was literally /just/ telling the husband, "Maybe I should try some other variety."

• leila hamaya
    4 years ago

kale, onions, peppers and maters, fruit,perennials....

i also have an updated want list on my profile. =)

• Heather Rothwell
    4 years ago

Anything fruit, herbs with medicinal qualities, sweet peppers, corn, beans, carrots, spinach, kale

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

the only corn in the swap was mini popcorn

• Karen (Nebr)
    4 years ago

That sounds fun! I’m in if nobody else is

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

All packets were mailed this AM. Thanks to the help of a very nice young man at my PO.Let us know when yours arrives Please.

Any that are not accounted for by Saturday I'll send you the DC# and we can start trying to track it down.

Many thanks to all for Participating, It has been fun for me and hopefully for all of you also.

• BlueridgeBelle_GW (Zone 6b) Western NC
    4 years ago

Thanks for hosting this Beth! Hope you found some good things worth keeping for your efforts!

• Oladon
    4 years ago

Hurray — thanks, Beth!

And I'll echo BlueridgeBelle's sentiment too... I hope you saved some fun seeds for yourself!

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I found a couple things I never even saw or read about before. That is very exciting.

• Heather Rothwell
    4 years ago

I can't wait. I have been putting off my garden planning till I get these packets.

• Karen (Nebr)
    4 years ago

I love new things. Thanks for doing all of this! Such fun!

• Oladon
    4 years ago

Would anyone be interested in a "garden planning" thread to encourage each other and celebrate successes during this winter planning time? :)

• Karen (Nebr)
    4 years ago

Yes!

• Karen (Nebr)
    4 years ago

OYR posted this https://www.growveg.com/garden-plans/878235/ not that I want the program but it a nice idea.

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Karen, I took a quick peak and it is attractive, colorful. What is OYR? this is totally new To me

• Karen (Nebr)
    4 years ago

One Yard Revolution is Patrick Dolan's Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc4ecvD_rMM

• Karen (Nebr)
    4 years ago

I was looking for info for the beginning backyard gardener and found him and Gardenweb

• Oladon
    4 years ago

Some people try to make me jealous with how much space they have available...

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

OH, U tube is a total stranger to me. I know the name but don't think I have ever seen it

• Karen (Nebr)
    4 years ago

His videos overwhelm me yet are still inspiring...one day. He’s also very mellow. In any case I still love the idea of a garden planning thread as a great push forward.

• Oladon
    4 years ago

I wonder if my seeds will come today. I hope so!

I made a thread in the Vegetable Gardening forum for us to use... hopefully they won't mind. :) I hope to hear from all of you!

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ONE package says "out for delivery" but I don't think it is yours. PO is prediction tomorrow. I tend to allow an extra day or two.

• Oladon
    4 years ago

Aww, way to crush my hopes there, Beth! :)

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Whoot Whoot Whoot

USPS shows one package delivered

• Oladon
    4 years ago

Yep, not mine... maybe tomorrow!

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm hopeful that most, maybe even ALL will be delivered today. PO always says three days but from one small town to another small town usually takes longer

• Kelli
    4 years ago

It was me, I was the lucky one! Lol. Guess I'll be looking up some new things! Lots of great stuff in here, ill give a few report in a few hours after I sit down and go through them! Thanks again Beth, and everyone else for participating!!! :)

• Oladon
    4 years ago

You lucky dog, you!

I await your report with bated breath.

• leila hamaya
    4 years ago

got my package today too =)

thanks everyone, this was fun.

got some interesting new things to try, several carrots, and a nice bunch of russian red kale, which i am looking forward to planting very soon. it's definitely my fave of all the kales. =)

think i can plant it real early too...maybe even seed it onto snow, we will see.

yes thanks beth, this was fun, very happy with my package.

• Karen (Nebr)
    4 years ago

I got my package too and I love it!!! I will be researching a lot of these. I'm looking forward to growing the pumpkins/squash. Thank you Beth and all the ladies involved.

• Oladon
    4 years ago

Yay, got mine too -- seeeeeeeeeeds!!!! :)

Beth, thank you so much for organizing this, and everyone else, thank you for the wonderful selection you all put together just for me! ;)

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So glad that packages are arriving. Hope for several more today. Yesterday there were areas where the USPS had posted "delayed" and I figured it was weather related. This has been FUN and the fun grows on as we plant grow and save more seeds for the future.

We made an unexpected trip to the ER yesterday. Seems Jack got the flu. It hit him quick and hard. We had been cleaning the yard and burning brush when he felt super weak and got to coughing like crazy. I thought it was from the smoke. ER of course was very busy as AZ is one of the highest flu states this year. Anyway, the meds seem to be helping already. Very thankful for that and all the nice folks who helped us yesterday.

PLease keep us posted as you get your packages

• uptreasa
    4 years ago

Got my package today!!! Thank you, Beth, and everyone who participated!! It was fun!

• BlueridgeBelle_GW (Zone 6b) Western NC
    4 years ago

Oooooohhh so thrilled! Got my package today - thank you so much Beth! Thanks to everyone else also - so nice to have a piece of everyone's garden - feels like family. I will keep notes in my garden journal about how things did and where the seed came from. So excited - thanks again!

• shp123
    4 years ago

Ditto here. Thanks Beth and everyone too.

• Melinda Hagen
    4 years ago

I am away from home. Can't wait to get there and see what I got!

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    4 years ago

My package arrived today. Thanks everyone, for the great seeds. Beth, you did a wonderful job of selecting seeds for me. Happy Gardening!

• Melinda Hagen
    4 years ago

I received my package! Very happy with all the different selections! Thanks Beth and everyone for sending in such different varieties!

• Heather Rothwell
    4 years ago

Mine came on Saturday. You know you've made a lot of trades when you get a packet of seeds that looks like it may be part of one you sent to someone else lol. Now I get to go shopping in my stash for this years crops!

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ladies and Zeak, I think we are wrapped up on this trade. Many thanks to everyone. I am excited to be trying some new seeds from all of your gardens Plan to label them with your name as well as the official name to help me keep track

Looking ahead to spring and happy gardening. Thanks to all!

• Melinda Hagen
    4 years ago

I too am very excited to try some of my new things! Thank you all again very much!

• Oladon
    4 years ago

If you got seeds from me, I'd love to hear how they do for you!

Sponsored
America's Color Consultants - Ashburn, VA
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Luxury Color Consultation & Design Expert in Loudoun County