SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theniceguy

Are pesticides really that bad?

theniceguy
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello all
I've been thinking about this recently. I've been able to avoid the topic for the last couple of years since I started my garden and Orchard. But I started using RoundUp last year for technical reasons on a building project, and I guess that opened me up to the idea. I don't think I'll be able to grow peaches or grapes anymore ( at least) unless I use pesticides. I just bought my first beetle and bug pesticide for my grapes today.
I guess I grew up hearing all the horror stories about things like Tholidimide babies ( met a woman with no arms from that) and cancer from "approved" chemicals that are used in our every day life.
But I've heard that not only the produce we buy, but all of the food products that have any kind of agricultural base, which is most of them, have much higher levels of pesticides and herbicides in them then we would ever use in our own gardens if we used them only when necessary.
Is this true?
For perspective, I keep remembering something one of my professors said about how there's no such thing as an 'unnatural' drug or chemical, they all essentially occur in nature and they've just been refined in some manner to make them more powerful.
Is it a healthier option if I use pesticides when there's a problem, as opposed to buying fruit at the store? Even if you use much less, wouldn't you be at a higher risk because you're actually working around the stuff ( spraying etc) in a comparatively high volume as opposed to just eating some fruit?

———-

Actually wrote the above in the summer, but the discussion got cut short and never got finished. Since that time, I also bought a fungicide. I used both quite a bit, although it was probably too late in the season to help and I lost all the grapes and peaches. My wife’s friend works at a local commercial Vinyard, and she said they spray about 10 times a year (in a lowered voice as there were customers nearby). Grapes are quite difficult, as you need to build a rain cover over the vines, as well as spray and bag the fruit. I’m not crazy about spraying, I still don’t feel very good about it. To make it worse, my vines and 1 peachtree are at the top of the garden, meaning all the run off will go through the rest of my vegetable garden etc. which is not needing spraying.

At this point, I’m thinking to just spray the absolute minimum required, and take a chance with not doing preemptive sprays.

But like I said I’m still not crazy about it.

Comments (9)