SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Best online fabric company to order from?

nhb22
6 years ago

I have searched my area, and even while on vacation, for a fabric similar to the green swatch shown below (sample cut from a fabric bolt several years ago for possible use on my salmon colored camelback sofa.) Cannot find anything close in stores!

Could someone recommend, from their experience, a good online fabric store? I want to order a few swatches that I think might work for the sofa. I am finally having the sofa, along with having several other pieces of furniture, reupholstered! :)

So while in Charleston, SC last week, I was able to find all needed fabrics except for the green for the camelback sofa. With the help of my daughter, and one of the store's designer's, we instead settled on a classic cream & gold upholstery. It was at the end of a tiring day, and I went with it. Please note that since we could not find a green, it was my idea to try to pick up the little amount of cream that was in the wing chairs that we currently have (and do not want to reupholster.) My daughter and designer were all for that idea. Unfortunately, when returning home with the fabric, and draping it over the sofa, I realize that the sofa contrast is just too white for the wing chairs. Sofa also looks washed out in the room. Now I am on the path to finding a green, again. I plan try to sell the cream upholstery (12 yards), or just take a loss. Paid $25.99 a yard. But I did not want to spend another $400 for upholstering cost on having the sofa recovered in something that I don't really like, or that doesn't look that good in the room.

I have included photos of sofa, the cream fabric, swatches, etc. I wanted to point out that the cream looks more stark white, and that the gold dots nearly disappear in person than it shows in these photos... especially at night! Also note that the red chairs you may see in the background of photos are to be recovered in a neutral raw silk look.

Opinions are welcomed!

Sofa as it now looks:

Classic cream & gold patterned fabric:

Sofa draped in the cream:

Sofa draped in a green fabric (from a bedroom duvet) to show green sofa look:

Green fabric swatch that I am looking for:

Swatch on a pillow from wing chairs:

Thank you!

Comments (19)

• nhb22
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thank you!

I was anticipating to hear that the cream wasn't so bad. Lol Because after looking back at my post, I see that the photos don't really show what I am seeing. Later this evening, I will pull the upholstery fabric back out and drap it over the sofa to take a wide angled shot. Right now, we have 4 HVAC trucks and scores of men in the house replacing both of our 11 year old HVAC systems. YIKES!

• Related Discussions

Best source for online/mail order aquatic plants?

Q

Comments (3)
    While I don't shop mail order from them as they are a half hour drive from me I highly recommend Hughes Water Gardens. They supply many nurseries wholesale and do sell directly to the public as well. Sometimes people will exchange for garden plants, it doesn't have to be pond plants. I have purchased many waterlilies from Kat who sells on various ponding forums and eBay. Always huge for great prices below retail. Be careful on eBay there are many who sell waterlilies that aren't truly named. Here is a link that might be useful: Hughes Water Gardens Online
    ...See More

New to ordering tomato seeds online.....company suggestions

Q

Comments (3)
    In other words regardless of source, are all Better Boy F1 seeds created equal? _________ With that particular variety since it is well stabilized, likely so since the seeds from all the common hybrids are usually purchased by the reputable commercial suppliers from just a few grower sources and then re-sold to the public. Of course that would not be the case if you buy from individual sellers (IE: those on ebay, amazon, etc.) so you need to stick with reputable vendors. But that is NOT true for all varieties. There are literally 100's of hybrid varieties where the quality all depends on the source of the seed. You can find any number of discussions about reputable dealers and non-reputable seed dealers discussed on the Growing Tomatoes forum here. My personal preferences are tomatogrowers.com and tomatofest.com Dave
    ...See More

Best Company To Order Daylilies From For Florida?

Q

Comments (10)
    I live in Kissimmee and I find that the FL grown do best for me. I've received nice plants from Dan Hansen of Lady Bug Daylilies, the Pierces of Floyd Cove, the Trimmers of Watermill Gardens and Phil and Pina Reily also Nicole Devito of Nicoles Daylilies, Luddy Lambertson of Art Gallery Gardens, just do a web search for FL daylily growers in case I missed any. I have had no problems on getting wrong plants from any of these growers and if I ever did I'm sure they would set it right.
    ...See More

Reputable mail order/online fig companies

Q

Comments (5)
    Some more nurseries that sell figs: OneGreenWorld https://www.onegreenworld.com/Fig/346/ RainTree http://www.raintreenursery.com/Fruit_Trees/Figs/ BurntRidge https://www.burntridgenursery.com/fruitingPlants/index_product.asp?dept=19&parent=7 AlmostEden [many are out of stock :-( ] http://almostedenplants.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=71&cat=All+Fig+Varieties EncatoFarms [ask for update for 2014] http://encantofarms.com/Available.html DurioNursery http://www.durionursery.biz/figs.htm HirtsGarden [small tissue culture plants?] http://www.hirts.com/s?defaultSearchTextValue=Search&searchKeywords=figs&Action=submit FloridaHill http://www.floridahillnursery.com/ficus-fig-tree-plants-c-8 JustFruitsAndExotics http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/Figs.htm Here is a link that might be useful: F4F/FF This post was edited by gorgi on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 4:59
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Where on earth do you find a good upholsterer for $400 for a sofa!!! I live in a LCOL area but a good upholsterer charges about $1200, and that's assuming that the existing pillows can be used and no spring repair/replacement must be done.

• jaybirdtx
    6 years ago

I love the green!! and have had the best luck with Online Fabric Store. They are good about answering questions and sending sample swatches. I do a LOT of sewing for various folks, and therefore a lot of fabric purchasing. I have never had any problem with them. They will also take returns, but you have to pay the postage. HTH

Blessings,

J

• User
    6 years ago

I had to buy several yards of a higher end fabric recently and I ended up buying it from Fabrics.com. Come to find out, they are owned by Amazon and they have the same return and ship policies as Amazon does.

And, while Fabric.com offered a 10% discount if I bought 3 yards or more, Amazon offered 20% even though Fabric.com was still the seller. So once you find the fabric you want, look on Fabric.com and then see if it’s available on Amazon.

Fabric Guru is popular too, but I think their set up is different in that it may be a lot of different sellers selling their fabrics and in many cases their remnants or less than perfect fabrics. You can find good deals, you just have to be sure you read the description and understand what you’re buying.

ETA: I think something like this would be pretty. I love the tone of the color. .

Fabric on Fabrics.com

• nhb22
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions on Fabric stores. I will try the Fabrics.com/Amazon suggestion first because I do have Prime.

lukkiirish - I do like your fabric pick, but I am afraid that it will clash with the new upholstered Host & Hostess chairs. They have a large crewel type pattern in gold on gold.

Anglophilia

"Where on earth do you find a good upholsterer for $400 for a sofa!!! I live in a LCOL area but a good upholsterer charges about $1200, and that's assuming that the existing pillows can be used and no spring repair/replacement must be done."

WORD OF MOUTH!!!

We live in a smallish town. The overhead for the upholsterer is almost zilch. They work out of an old shell of a building that looks like an old school house on the prairie. Bare bones on the side of a country lane near their home.

My sofa is a long camelback with one single down cushion. The 8-way hand tied springs appear in excellent shape because although the sofa is about 25 years old, it has probably been sat in less than 25 times. However, the upholsterer did tell me the same thing about pricing going up if anything needed more work. The only thing wrong with the sofa is that it has faded and the dog chewed a small bit on the cushion when she was a puppy. That is another reason that I am not sure about the cream color. She occasionally likes to sleep on the sofa.

Other upholsterer charges:

2 camelback love seats - $350 each

Host & Hostess chairs - $175 each

4 Parsons chairs (oversized) - $125 each

OK, here are the promised wider angled photos taken tonight.

The upholsterer called this afternoon to tell me that they had an unexpected opening come up (4 weeks earlier than I was told my job could be started) because a decorator, that was already on the books, had a fabric delay for furniture pieces she was having covered for a client. Yay for me! They are coming tomorrow to pick up a few of my pieces to start.

• User
    6 years ago

Oh sure, they have a huge huge variety to choose from, so I’m sure you’ll be able to find something really pretty. They also sell samples which will be helpful too.

• annh1783
    6 years ago
    Fashion Fabrics Club. I have used them for fabrics over the years and never had a bad experience.
  • nhb22
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Very helpful, thank you. I found a few more that I like on your site, as well as on the other sites mentioned, and I am ordering swatches.

Are there any other opinions for the sofa being white/cream or Greenish (either tweedish or in a design)?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

Are any of these close? http://placetextiles.com/patterns/berlin-tweed/

The top one looks most like yours on my monitor, but there's also the 3rd one down. I didn't check the price...

• nhb22
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, My3dogs, but none look like my swatch. It has more of a linen or grasscloth pattern to it...irregular threads going crosswise. And although the photo shows some variation in color, there is really not that much. It's mostly green, especially to the naked eye.

I placed a "sample" order tonight and plan to place more tomorrow. ;)

• nhb22
    Original Author
    6 years ago

UPDATE

UGH!!! I am so frustrated! (See more photos below.)

First of all, it has been over a week since I placed swatch orders from FashionsFabricClub and Fabric.com and I have not received anything. Very disappointed!

So I was getting antsy to find something before the upholsterers come back for the sofa. DH and I drove up to take a look at a new fabric store in the next town. We found what we thought was the perfect green and purchased 12 yards. No returns! Got it home and I realized that not only is it the wrong hue of green to go with my bluish green dining room walls (store lighting can play tricks and it is showing more yellow green at home), but while the fabric has a texture, it's really not large enough to see when far away. So the fabric just looks like a yellow green slab. Boo!

I thought about painting the dining rooms walls the same as the rest of the open area - BM Decatur Buff, and then I wouldn't have to worry about matching the blueish green DR walls. And I could have some dimensional things done to the sofa during the reupholstering like a few buttons, double stitched seems, or nailhead trim. These of course would make the sofa look less formal which I am perfectly fine with. However...I then realized that the fabric also looks bad with my Decatur Buff gold/tans walls! And to further realize what a bad choice I made, when leaving the LR and entering the Master, I noticed that my bedroom also has a green theme going on. Green and gold comforter, and a greenish gold bench at the bottom of the bed. I'm an idiot!

Now I am seriously thinking of either leaving the sofa the way it is (old and faded salmon), or covering the sofa with the white/cream. Maybe it will not look as bad as I think.

The yellow hue does not show up as intense in the below photos. It could be my lighting making the yellow tones, but I need lights! In fact, the color looks more like the mock-up that I used in my first post. Why didn't I notice how yellow that looked against the DR walls! :(

Green fabric on sofa looking back toward DR (It's not as close in color as it looks.)

Looking towards wingchairs (Looks good with wingchairs.)

Against the gold/tan walls (this is the best representation of fabric color, yet when I look at the fabric against the wall, it looks worse.)

What's going in the dining room?:

Fabric for Host/Hostess Chairs - (Welting to be done in side chair fabric.)

Fabric for Side Chairs - (Bad photo, but it's a raw silk look.)

Adding the white/cream sofa fabric again to see how it looks with the H/H and dining side chairs.

Voting appreciated...Thanks for looking!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

LOVE the host/hostess chair fabric - wow! I like the green fabric very much with the floral wing chairs and the dining room wall color. It could be a bit better with the gold wall color, but perhaps make some pillows out of amazing fabric and they would cover part of the back. Drape a beautiful throw over the back, and it could be stunning! You have it on hand, could use some nice brass nail heads, and is your upholstery appt. coming up soon?

ETA that Fabric Guru has a sale code 'FALL" to get 20% off any purchase through 11/19.

This is a Robert Allen Boucle fabric, that would be $16.76 a yard with the code. A bit of a gold green. Robert Allen Tex Weave Boucle Upholstery Fabric in Lemongrass

These two are 'out there' from what you've been looking at -

14 Yards Chevron Woven Upholstery Fabric in Gold/Green Total price for remnant is $83.98 minus 20%.

13.7 yards Houndstooth Upholstery Fabric in Olive/Gold

I can so see that camel back sofa in this fabric. Totally different look but gorgeous. Total price for the remnant is $82.98 minus 20%.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for the comments. :) As I mentioned, the new green fabric looks quite different than it appears in my photos. I have my daughter coming out tomorrow to take a look and give an opinion. The fabric changes in different lights. Tonight the back of the sofa looks brown with the lights off or ON. Yuck!

The Robert Allen fabric looks similar to what I have, only a bit lighter in color. Though I do love it. just not sure how it would go with the dining room walls. And I asked DH if I could paint them. The answer was "absolutely not!" lol I'd really like to paint them more of a yellow green and brighten up in there. though I think the fabrics on the dining chairs will look better with the current color.

We already have a chevron patterned upholstery on our new family room sofas...in a brown/gold/tan that looks very similar to your sample. They are Smith Brothers. And I have already spent hundreds on the two fabric bolts that I have, so purchasing another bolt is not looking too good.

Yes, the upholsterers came this week and took the dining chairs, plus two love seats that I am having recovered for my study. I told them that I was not ready for the sofa to go and that they could get it when they returned in two or less weeks.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I wish I could change the title to this thread "Help me decide which color for sofa!"

My3dogs - I forgot to address this suggestion. "but perhaps make some pillows out of amazing fabric and they would cover part of the back."

We think alike! I was planning to replace the gold pillows with something more dimensional in gold on gold, like the below photo. But I am not sure what you meant by "they would cover part of the back." ???

Oh, and, I also received emails from Fashion Fabrics Club offering 25% off upholstery for Black Friday week. If only I could receive the samples that I ordered, then perhaps...

I was able to get a couple of better shots this morning that show the yellow/green sofa fabric against the blue/green walls and gold walls.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another UPDATE:

My daughter came over this afternoon and agrees with me about the green upholstery being "off". She also said that the fabric is too scratchy to sit on. She said that she still liked the lighter upholstery and thought it will look fabulous with the dining room fabric choices we had made. She also reminded me that we had help from a decorator at the store in Charleston. He had seen iPad photos of all rooms, furnishings, etc.

So after doing some furniture rearranging, a change of hue in the overhead light bulb, and fitting the white/cream upholstery around the sofa to get a better idea of how it would look with a tailored look, we think that the lighter color does work the best for the room. And guess what! It doesn't look as white now! :)

To additionally help the look, I will purchase or have some new pillows made. And I showed photos and told my daughter of some of the "add on" ideas that I originally had for the green fabric. Instead, using them on the white/cream. We settled on slightly larger welting, double stitched seams where fabric is pieced, and nailhead trim (in antique brass) for the arms, and along the bottom of the sofa. I think using it across the top of the sofa back might be overkill. I will also have the upholsterer plump up the sofa cushion to make it more inviting!

I want to thank you again for your opinions and help...especially My3dogs! When all is said and done, I will come back (or start a new thread of all of the before and afters. ;)

Here are some examples of what we plan:

Larger Welting and seat cusion

Nailhead trim on arms and front

Sides and back

Top stitching

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

Yay! I adore the traditional camel back sofas, and have one in navy leather here in my office, that I paid $125 for on Craigslist! It's like new, and made for Hitchcock and SO comfy.

What I meant above when I said pillows would cover some of the back, is that when they are propped up against the 'front' of the back (where one's back would rest) of the sofa, they hide some of the back. That was when the green was in play, but you didn't really like it. It would have been a way to lessen the amount of green showing, if you somehow had to end up using it.

Mine, in a pic from the CL ad in October 2015. Love, love, love it..and am so darn glad I wrote her at 6 AM when I saw the ad posted. There were MANY others lined up behind me who wanted it, but since I had contacted her first, it became mine.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What a steal! I like that alot.

Can't wait to have my study all done! Below is a preview of that upholstery fabric. I wanted something colorful and fun to go with my existing brown walls. Turned out that it was not exactly what I had planned on, but ...the price for the fabric was too good to turn away from. I bought the entire bolt at 75% off. Almost 29 yards for $135 to cover my 2 love seats. Since the pattern is large, I wanted there to be plenty to match with. Perhaps I should have had paneled skirts made for the seats if there is enough left over. Couldn't those be added later? The love seats are Chippendale style like your sofa.

It's called Orange Blossom, a sturdy linen look fabric, but reads more rusty orange or terracotta. Really brightens up my drab study!

I have been fortunate to find a few steals myself on CL. :) Now I hear that there is another venue to buy from - Facebook Market. I am not on Facebook, but may get my daughter to post the green fabric on the site for me. If not, it goes on Craigslist.

Thank you again for being so supportive. And now I get what you meant about the pillows. :)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

I love orange! And rust and all similar warm colors in fabric. Great idea to post the green fabric on CL; and I don't do Facebook, either. :-)