SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tandog

Calathea yellow leaves and tips

tandog
6 years ago

Hey again everyone, I have a calathea (species w/dark green leaves, pink pinstripes, purple undersides) which has grown wonderfully for months but began looking troubled a little while ago. Young leaves turn mostly yellow as shown, I have pulled previous cases but they come back. The larger leaves look fine besides tiny yellow tips on some and a crispy yellow spot on one.

It gets a pretty Goldilocks amount of light, no direct, and room isn't too warm. I test soil for thorough dryness w/wood kabob stick before watering, wrinkled leaves give me the cue to do this (correct?). Recently I started giving super dilluted foliage pro with waterings in response to the yellowing, doesn't seem to have bettered or worsened. Soil is IKEA's standard mix their plants come in which I know is not ideal but it dries quickly enough and is lightweight and not too compacted currently. (Much better stuff than lowes/hd plants come in by far)

Spaking of soil is standard gritty appropriate for these guys? And would I be ok repotting now, very mild temps here lately?

Finally of course looking for the cause of the yellow and how best to approach pulling leaves and trimming tips. I have trimmed them before but they went yellow again. Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH