SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bennyben75

What color should I paint my garage door?

bennyben75
6 years ago

Hi! Need to paint my garage door but having a hard time deciding on colors. I'm currently thinking of painting it a dark brown - almost black. Brick is dark reddish brown and the siding is a beigey - yellow. What do you think? Appreciate any feedback!

Comments (16)

• Rina
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yes to a dark red-brown to blend with the brick. But then you really need to remove the hedge and open up the entrance to your home with cheerful landscaping. Otherwise it looks rather gloomy.

bennyben75 thanked Rina
  • One Devoted Dame
    6 years ago

Dark brown/almost black is a great choice, I think. :-) Or a dark red that blends in with the brick. My house is brick, and I want to paint the garage door a dark color, too, so that it doesn't draw the eye away from the front door.

Do you like the beigey-yellow, or would you be looking to repaint the siding, too, eventually? Are you keeping the white trim?

(I only ask because my trim and garage door are taupe, and I totally want to paint it all a dark coffee/espresso/red color, lol.)

bennyben75 thanked One Devoted Dame
  • bennyben75
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! A very dark brown it will be. The siding will either be replaced or painted a taupe in the spring so the dark brown will work with that too. Designer suggested a dark purple for the garage door for interest but I really want the door to disappear. Thanks again!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

Very dark brown sounds great. And so does making the garage door "disappear".

Out of curiosity, bennyben, why do you need a designer when your own ideas are so sound?

• User
    6 years ago

Since I love color and the way it can really change the way a property looks, I’d like to have some fun and play devils advocate here a little bit. You said your designer suggested purple, but there are a lot of purples to choose from, was the designer more specific about which one?

And you mentioned that there are plans to change the siding to a taupe so I tried to find at least one example of a purple garage with both similar colored brick and taupe siding. I appreciate when I see a house where the owners have dared to be different. I think some of the samples below look pretty nice (and just so you know, I’m not biased as purple is not one of my favorite colors)

So first things first, if this first purple is something like what the designer is suggesting, I agree, maybe not a wise choice, however...

this one below isn’t so out there. I think having the front door painted the same color, gives it continuity and the look is eye catching.

I also like this one, though the tone is a bit intense. I posted it because the siding is taupe and I also wanted to show how the color of the flowers play with the purple. My point is, the door color is only one element and there are other things that will contribute to the look and that could be where the designer was heading with the idea.

And the one below is a brown with a purplish tint. Not as eye catching but also pretty IMO.

I think if your designer has a vision and incorporating the purple will work with the other elements of his/her plan you should go for it with an open mind. Give it a chance and see it through, then if you don’t like it, change it to plan b. It’s only paint and that’s the easiest fix there is.

bennyben75 thanked User
  • kelleg69
    6 years ago

Would you consider painting the whole house--including the brick--all one color? I think it would look great.

bennyben75 thanked kelleg69
  • Lars
    6 years ago

Here's a purple door on your house:

I do not think purple goes with your brick color - the dark red-brown looks much better.

Here's a more subdued purple, and I still do not think it looks as good as red-brown:

bennyben75 thanked Lars
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

I would use gray on the door and the siding to the front door. Then paint the yellow siding white to match your trim and shutters.

bennyben75 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • bennyben75
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks again for all of your input. I think the purple might look okay on another house but not on mine. I do like the look of the grey and the white. I've also thought of putting shingles in the peaks. What do you think of a dark navy? I've seen the dark navy with red brick and I think it does look nice but feel that since this house has a "snout" garage it would be best to try to avoid drawing attention to the garage door.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

feel that since this house is a "snout" garage it would be best to try to avoid drawing attention to the garage door.

Yes, this.

bennyben75 thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Lars
    6 years ago

Here's a navy blue door:

It is definitely an improvement over purple, but it still calls more attention to itself than the brown.

Here's a purple-blue door:

bennyben75 thanked Lars
  • User
    6 years ago

We have a house in our neighborhood that is the same as yours in style, age and both siding and brick colors. Their garage and trim are the brown you’re considering and it doesn’t add anything to it, if anything it looks dated and old. :c(

The reason, the colors in the mock ups Lars did don’t work AT ALL, is because there is nothing else around or on the house in those colors to balance it out. It’s also really impossible to say if they’d look good or bad with the brick from a picture especially when there are so many different shades of a specific color to work with. The only way you’d know for sure what will work and what won’t is to put some samples up with the siding color you’re going to use so you can see it up close and personal. That said, I can see why the purple isn’t something you or most people even would want to do. The gray in Beverly’s mock up looks good because not only does the brick have gray in it’s mix, but she’s also incorporated it elsewhere in the view to balance it out, not to mention that it’s a neutral color that is easy on the eyes.

I’ve never understood the notion of trying to make a garage door less obvious. A garage door that faces the street is a large part of the front, why would anyone want to make it look like there’s a big dark hole in the space instead of using it in a way that helps the overall design? Especially when you already have an area between the house and garage that is also fairly dark. IMO the gray looks really sharp and would be pretty and unexpected with the taupe. It’s a fresh look and both of them are neutral colors that will allow you to add as much color by the way of flower beds and trees as you want.

bennyben75 thanked User
  • Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

Sw urban bronze ?

bennyben75 thanked Elizabeth B
  • Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

Anonymous by sw would be a nice siding color as well just Google younghouselove to see the garage and siding combo. I love their taste :-)

bennyben75 thanked Elizabeth B
  • PRO
    Milano Doors
    6 years ago

Hello. I think, it would be not bad to paint these doors dark color.