SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nlmackay

BM Pelican Gray -- PURPLE?!? BLUE?!?! Anyone use this color?

nlmackay
6 years ago

We had painters at our house Friday and they did a single coat of BM Pelican Gray on my bedroom walls. Its over our original greige. It looks sometimes purple, sometimes blue, sometimes a tad gray. They are coming back tomorrow to do a second coat. I picked Pelican Gray to complement the Gray Tint going in the master bath. They are painting that tomorrow, too. Now I'm worried that color could turn purple!!! I am SO torn....do I have them continue hoping that the Pelican Gray looks better with the 2nd coat. Do I change the color completely?

We painted the main part of the house Collingwood and I LOOOOOVE it! I would normally pick something like Classic Gray for the master bedroom but my husband prefers "color". I don't know what to do. Anyone use Pelican Gray in their home?

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I don’t see any purple in it but to be honest without seeing what else you have in the space hard to tell . Is this a color from your bedding or are you going to buy bedding later.I actually have a gray with purple undertones in my MBR I love it but I had it custom mixed . I usuallt choose wall color after bedding to get a nice cohesive look.

nlmackay thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • lynartist
    6 years ago
    You mention that you have Collingwood in the main part of your house. As this is a greige it may be that the comparison is throwing you off. Pelican gray may go a bit on the purple side in certain light but is a very lovely light gray that should go well with your Collingwood. I think white bedding would look beautiful with this color and be very soft and serene. A slight blue or purple undertone in the bedroom is very pretty I think! I am sure you will like it when everything goes back in.
    nlmackay thanked lynartist
  • Related Discussions

Anyone Use BM Aura Solitude? A Mellow Blue-Gray

Q

Comments (1)
    My neighbor used it in her newly remodel bathroom. It's very pretty. Sorry, no photo.
    ...See More

Anyone have BM's Sidewalk Gray?

Q

Comments (11)
    I used it in my powder room. It's a nice color, it just wasn't what I wanted. I wanted a gray with no blue. How I ended up with that color, I cannot explain. It is a very soft blue-gray. Not bright at all. My powder room also has east facing window. It never looks gray, even at night. Still looks blue. The trim and cabinets in there are the stock BM white. The one you buy off the shelf, no mixing required. Cannot remember the name right now. If you want a blue-gray, it will probably work for you.
    ...See More

Anyone use these BM pale blue shades? Need to choose fast

Q

Comments (8)
    We ended up with Blue Angel (2058-70), which is a much warmer blue, and paired it with Ocean Breeze in an adjacent room. Both were a big change from the cool glamour I had in mind with blue-gray but they work better with our woodwork and my low-light house looks much better with them on the walls. Hope this helps!
    ...See More

Has anyone used BM Grey Cashmere?

Q

Comments (13)
    Edgecomb has NO blue. If anything it veers tan. In our light (NorthEast) Grey Cashmere runs very greeny blue. You could definitely try Horizon OC 53 which tends to run blue. Could also try Moonshine which would be slightly greyer and quite a bit warmer/greener IMO. My friend swears by paper white and paper white 50% intensity which is a very neutral, bluish, very light grey (one step up from Sterling).
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Pelican Gray 1612 (hue angle 233°) is blue. Like in the middle-ish zone of the blue hue family. That's for sure blue. Perceptually over closer to the purple-blue hue family than blue-green. Which is why there may be moments of purple overtones too.

Graytint 1611 (hue angle 162°) belongs to the green hue family.

Using the hue angle ° and this color wheel you can see where they "live" in color world.

I personally would not put these two colors, Pelican Gray and Graytint, together. And, yes, I know they are on the same strip in the fandeck.

This is a lesson many people learn the hard way. Just because colors are on the same strip doesn't mean they 'go together', doesn't mean they are from the same hue family, it doesn't mean anything. So when someone tells you to look at the darkest color on the strip at the bottom to see what "undertones" all the other colors on the strip have, you know they're full of beans and you should NOT listen to their advice about anything color.

Will it look "okay". Odds are it will because their hue families, green and blue, "live" next to each other in color world. A lot will depend on the light too.

What I would have done differently is chosen two near neutral grays from the same hue family - either blue or green. And that's a smidge more work vs. choosing two colors from the same chip strip.

• nlmackay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We painted our entire house and I have been struggling with paint choices. What's left is my master bedroom and bath, which will be completed tomorrow (so I need to make choices asap today). Here's the original post I wrote, but didn't get any replies. Here you can see pics of the master bathroom renovation. Lori A. Sawaya - do you think Gray Tint works in there? Should I paint my master bedroom Gray Tint as well? http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4953951/bm-gray-tint-1611-what-coordinates

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

Is there a reason you did not want to do Graytint in the MB too?

• nlmackay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Lori - do you think Gray Tint works in the master bath (link to pics above)? Will it look gray, or could it turn on me? My husband wanted a little more "color" in the bedroom and I thought by going 1 down on the strip it would coordinate. My bad! I prefer neutrals and light colors, so I wouldn't mind Gray Tint in the master bedroom (I would hope the painters could cover Pelican Gray in 1 coat so I wouldn't have to pay extra for their work, but not sure if it would cover!) I also wouldn't mind continuing Collingwood or even going lighter with Classic Gray....but not sure if those work with Gray Tint. What color would you suggest?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

Graytint could shift bluish - depends on the light. Could look "just gray".

The master bath is stunning. If you're good with Graytint juxtaposed to all your tile work in the bath, then an easy solution is to carry it on out to the bedroom; create a lovely, cohesive Master Suite 'envelope' of sorts with wall color.

Then you'll have all kinds of flexibility to experiment adding punches of color to make DH happy. Bedding, art, pillows, upholstered chair/bench, etc.

• nlmackay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m finding I’m horrible with color, My husband jokes that I’m colorblind! So my apologies for all of these follow up questions, I am just so afraid of making the wrong decision. My husband is hating the way Coventry looks in our downstairs powder room, so I want to make sure I get this right because It ends up being an expensive mistake since we are paying painters to do the work. Here are a few pictures of gray tint up against my tile...what do you think?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

A lot can happen to color from your camera to my monitor. But based on these pictures, the last one especially, I think it looks fabulous. I love the idea of the lighter wall contrasting with the tile. Yet it contrasts less and blends more with the floor which will give you a bigger sense of space overall in the bathroom.

• nlmackay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for all of your help, Lori A. Sawaya! I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow morning with the Gray Tint in the bathroom and talk to the painters about doing that color in the master bedroom as well. I hope my husband agrees (I think a little part of him likes the Pelican Gray because he's not loving ALL the neutral...but I hate it!)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

The wall color should really be a supporting actor in the overall design. Let him choose a fun piece of art for the walls instead of putting all the emphasis on the paint color.

nlmackay thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • PRO
    Smith Brothers Decorating Company
    5 years ago

Lori A. Sawaya- you posted a chart above showing three colors and all of their color information (i.e. color family, hue angle). Where do you get that information?

• Elizabeth Urbani Kinard
    5 years ago

I love this color. Love all the colors it brings out.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Wow, this is an older thread, and I'm sure you've gotten this all straightened out, but there are some blues and black in Benjamin Moore that appear bluer or purpler as they're applied than when they dry. I picked the pelican gray for my dad's house and when he started painting, he called me in a panic that it was purple! I assured him it would 'settle' and it did. It's a unique quality of BM paints, but I've never had a problem once they dry!

• nlmackay
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi H. McCall Chase, CKD - I ended up going with Gray Tint in the master bath and Pelican Gray in the Master Bedroom. I'm still in the process of decorating the bedroom....how did your dad decorate w/ that color paint? Did he keep his room neutral? I'm thinking bamboo shades w/ white drapes and white bedding. Maybe a washed out vintage looking rug under the bed w/ some grays to pull out the wall color?

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

We did a lot of neutral with it. He has bamboo floors, and most of his furniture is dark brown leather or wood. We added pops of red all over (pillows, blankets, rugs, some draperies) and it feels very masculine and has a slight nautical style to it. I think your ideas are spot on with how I would use the color in my own bedroom. I'm picturing what you're describing as something very light and clean, with a kind of soft feeling to it. I'm totally into the vintage looking rugs right now. Here's one that I've used recently that has the blue/gray and vintage thing going on: https://www.ethanallen.com/en_US/shop-rugs-traditional-patterned/suzain-rug%2C-blue%2Fgray/041522.html#start=1

nlmackay thanked User
  • ascup
    3 years ago

I know this is an old post but how did you like the Graytint. I am thinking of doing my whole open floor plan downstairs in that color. I have northern and southern exposures so I know it will look somewhat different depending on the light and I like the tones it has. My only concern is that it might be too light and won’t contrast enough with the white moldings.

• HU-828882947
    3 years ago

Hi! I too see that this is an old post, but I'd love help if anyone is still out there. I just painted my kitchen pelican grey. In my house it shows pale blue hues. I love it and now I'm looking for a coordinating color for an accent wall. Any ideas? Also, which white should I use with it?

• Johnna Campbell
    3 years ago

I would love to see a picture of your pelican gray kitchen! I just bought a sample of paint and am thinking of doing my open concept kitchen and livingroom Pelican gray.

• Amanda Bell
    2 years ago

Hi all, I just painted my dining room Pelican Gray. I was going "gray crazy" the other day at the paint store and I decided on Pelican Gray. Well, let me tell you- it has a strong purple undertone. It is very pretty however. Once the window treatments are up and I put a picture on the wall, etc, I think we'll be ok lol! The room gets lots of light, so I look forward to seeing the color at night. First world problems!!!

• Debra Tagg
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have painted my downstairs bathroom Pelican Gray and love it! I am considering my whole foyer and upstairs hall (all open). I need to move from all beige to gray, but what gray? The swatch on wall in the foyer looks so bluish compared to the bathroom. Would anyone share any pictures? Thanks!

• Amanda Bell
    2 years ago

Hi Debra! it’s pretty amazing how different paint looks (especially gray!!) in differnt light. Last night, the Pelican Gray looked quite different in less light- like a putty clay color- but warm. i think that’s what Pelican Gray is- a warm gray. I’ve atrached photos from a few minutes ago this morning. it’s really growing on me. I live in New York City, so you’ll see lots of buildings out the windows of my dining room! Keep me posted on your choice!

• Amanda Bell
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I’ll add one more photo from a different angle.

• jwelch1950
    2 years ago

My bathroom has carrera tile on the floor and shower stall also a chair rail. i would like to use grey tint above the chair rail. any suggestions for a compilmentary color below the chair rail? silent night?