SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mezzsop

Painted Wood Kitchen Cabinets

mezzsop
6 years ago

My designer/supplier says I am doomed if I order painted cabinets. What research I can do on line does seem to say the same. YET - when I look at kitchen photos here on Houzz, there is an overwhelming majority of white (or other color) painted cabinets. Is everyone unhappy after a short period of time? How prevalent is the problem? Does it destroy the complete look of the kitchen?

We have an area that needs brightening; I have been planning for years to have white cupboards in it, pouring over decorating ideas to go with them - and painstakingly came up with a design. This never came up. Now that we can finally do the renovation I am being told the color is out OR, if I should still even consider it, I can only have shaker cabinets. Even if we find a way to choose a different finish, I can not (yes, she says can not! She won't do the design.) have a raised panel, or stiles wider than 2 inches (both to avoid warpage). We do live in a humid area. However, my confidence in the designer is diminishing. I absolutely do WANT solid, knowledgeable information; we don't want to make costly mistakes. But this seems to be going too far. What are people with white painted wood cabinets finding over time? Do they/you wish you had made a different choice? Should a designer dictate to this extent? We are in a small trading area, so it isn't easy to find a good designer. She is well recommended.

These cabinets are going to be costly. We want to make an informed decision. I'm hoping this forum an be of help. Thanks. I appreciate any and all feedback!

Comments (46)

• johnsoro25
    6 years ago

This designer sounds like a nut job, telling you you cannot have what you want. I would run, not walk, to another designer to help you get the kitchen of your dreams. I have and love raised panel white painted cabinets- absolutely no issues and I would never want anything else. Good luck!

mezzsop thanked johnsoro25
  • Related Discussions

Cabinet painting confusion

Q

Comments (9)
    Obrion- You did the right prep and used a good primer! Forget the "Clearcoat" temptation/fallacy... >>> If you put on a clear-coat of some type too soon, you're trapping paint from curing properly, even though it may "feel" dry. This can lead to paint problems underneath. Complete "Cure--THRU"....CAN....take a month. A week is possible IF your home is very dry, with good air-exchange. >>> This is a key point that many people/painters never seem to realize..... As I mentioned previously, you can apply more primer IF....IF...you want to slightly fill in any graining. If you do this, give the prime-coat(s) a day to harden enough to sand slightly with 220-paper. When you're at your SW store, pick up some of XIM's Latex X-tender for your paint. This is a very good "relaxer" for the paints' binder resin, giving you more working-time before it starts to "set". Leveling is therefore enhanced as well. >>> Use good technique AND equipment too!! Faron
    ...See More

period house cabinet hardware

Q

Comments (6)
    We have original cabinet latches from the 1920s on several of our cabinet doors (including the laundry chute doors that are opened frequently). They are a breeze to open -- truly no harder than a knob since they opened with one movement. We are doing latches again in the new kitchen (but not everywhere, to economize).
    ...See More

Cabinet style analysis question:

Q

Comments (30)
    I have those in my house, built sometime between 1986 and 1990. In my case the wood itself was a bit darker, not so orangey, and they came with faux-butcherblock countertops and 4" white tile backsplash laid diagonally with wide "dirty" gray-brown grout lines. The 2 problems I see are the cabinets themselves, and the context in which they are used. In all the other modern style cabinets pictured on the thread, the cabinets all have very clean lines and are either solid colored or one solid piece of wood. When it's there the wood is a focal point / design element in itself (as opposed to just the stuff the cabinets are made of) and care is taken with the placement of the grain. I don't care for this style of cabinet, personally, but I can see that they were at least well designed. With the 'bad' cabinets, they combine flat solid color + grainy wood in one item (something none of the good cabinets do). Furthermore, the wood used is orangey oak, which is both very common / ordinary and associated with rustic / country designs, and it has a very curvy profile in contrast to the plain, square doors. So you have these 2 elements that don't really have anything to do with each other to begin with, just tacked together (literally and figuratively) to make the door. And on top of all of that, this cabinet style was a common builder style at one point, so most people see them and think of that and automatically associate them with being cheaply made. They're supposed to be modern cabinets, except they're NOT, they're some sort of weird bastardized modern with a touch of country thing. And then people go and install them in any old room without anything else 'modern' in it. In that first picture, nothing but the cabinets is modern in design. In the 'good' pictures, the entire kitchen's design matches the cabinets. It makes them stand out - in a bad way. I do think the steel pulls look better, I wonder if people shyed away from them because they actually made the cabinets legitimately modern looking and most people didn't like that style to that extent. My house is a pretty standard vaguely colonial-style townhouse of the late 80s/early 90s - nothing modern (in the design sense) in it, except for those cabinets. And they're in about 75% of the townhouses & condos in my immediate area that were built in that time period. I painted them and put steel bar pulls on them and now they look sort of better (and cleaner!), but they still don't go with anything else in the house. What's funny to me is the other day I was outside and I saw my neighbor carrying out the same cabinets that I have from their kitchen, and then later carrying in some of those in stock boxed cabinets you get from the big box stores. And I thought, you do realize you're only replacing what you just tore out with the 2013 version of it, right?
    ...See More

How do I paint dark wood kitchen cabinets? I want a white kitchen

Q

Comments (3)
    Pay money to an electrician first, for better lighting. Then find a pro that uses an Italian 2K coating and be prepared to spend 7-9K for them to refinish the cabinets. Or, join the Kitchen Cabinets Painting Experts group on FB for all of the instructions to DIY. It’ll take a month of effort, and about $500-1K in equipment if you want it as good as the tough factory finish that exists, that the pros could replicate.
    ...See More
  • roarah
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Is your designer saying the paint finish will not holdup? Maybe she can not guarantee a long lasting finish on the style you want. My mom put in very expensive painted white cabinets that chipped horribly in high use areas and crack lines appeared in many seams within a year of her 100k Reno. The cabinet company gave her a touch up pot as compensation...

mezzsop thanked roarah
  • Bunny
    6 years ago

Where does someone you are paying get off saying you cannot have something that is quite reasonable for you to ask for? That's not how it works.

I've had painted white cabinets for over 5 years and I still like them, a lot. The only damage--and it's hard to see unless you know where to look--are some cat claw pinhole punctures on the top edge of a couple of lower cabinet doors. I have a cat with a penchant for opening all cabinets in the house. It's my cross to bear (one of them).

mezzsop thanked Bunny
  • roarah
    6 years ago

I think she is warning you to avoid certain construction for example paint will crack on mitered corners. Large stiles will expand and warp and also then the paint can peel in those areas. Wish my parents' ID had explained these issues prior to charging a lot of money for constructed cabinets not suited for paint.

mezzsop thanked roarah
  • User
    6 years ago

Wood moved with humidity swings. Paint doesn’t. You get hairline cracks at the join. That is normal and to be expected. Mitered doors show that more. Normal.

Hire a different designer.

mezzsop thanked User
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    6 years ago

Sounds like she had a bad experience with paint and is now afraid to sell it on whatever door style you are looking at... or maybe the brand of cabinets she is offering you has had issues... you can't really lump all painted cabinet doors into one pot and pass a judgement. Can you post a picture of the door style you are looking at and the brand you are considering? It will be easier to get the appropriate comments to that.

My experience with paint is that is gets the fissures - constant fluctuating humidity levels make them more apparent - it does not matter how much you spent on the cabinets unless you get doors that are MDF instead of wood. Those types of doors are often shaker style which may be the other reason she was pushing that way.

As long as you know that paint will scratch and can chip think of painted trim on doors - not always so easy to repair ) and you will have the fissues...and none of it is so easily repaired or covered up then go ahead and move forward.

I sell plenty of painted kitchens in many colors and folks are happy.

Good luck in your decision!

mezzsop thanked Debbi Washburn
  • beth09
    6 years ago

roarah, care to name the cabinet company so someone may avoid them?

• roarah
    6 years ago

Beth, they have crystal cabinets. The majority would be along the lines of what Sophie shows but by the pull out garbage and dishwasher panel the paint is gone from chipping. It was all deemed normal one year old wear, tear and expansion by company reps but still not pretty and thus a disappointment after the fact.

mezzsop thanked roarah
  • beth09
    6 years ago

Thanks. Not the first time we've heard negatively about them. So sorry for their outcome. :/

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I don't understand what's her objections? what is that she's concerned about?

if only whether this or that is "in" or "out"-change the designer

if her concerns are about how it will work with other materials/technical concerns-she should be able to explain it to you and give you ideas that will work with both your space and your vision

"prevalent problem"-what is the problem, how she explains it?

(I do have painted cabinets for the first time in my life and my prevalent problem with the finish is my husband lol since he's rough on things. when I'm in the kitchen there are no problems. or if he's in the kitchen-but I catch him on time))

maybe she knows something about that line ..something top-secret she can't share or else she'd be fired?

very confusing situation. can she be more clear?

"doomed". well at least she's funny lol.

• Fori
    6 years ago

I always thought it was part of the look--what Sophie shows is normal and totally inoffensive. I find it appealing.

mezzsop thanked Fori
  • roarah
    6 years ago

Sophie's pictures accurately show what will happen with painted doors with normal expansion and is fine but you can also expect these chips to be considered normal wear and tear after just a year of use at sink doors by manufacturers which is not at all appealing. My parents painted upper middle tier costing cabs had damage similar to this that the rep said was acceptable wear.

mezzsop thanked roarah
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

I don't find the look in Sophie’s pics offensive either. I painted my own cabinets, and they have few seams, more solid sections of wood. But I have seen plenty of cabinets that look like those pics. I wouldn't have any problem with them.

But the picture above looks like crap. No way is that an acceptable piece of work, or even normal wear.

• johnsoro25
    6 years ago

Not sure how a manufacturer would see that as normal wear. That is awful. Here are my sink cabinet and pull out trash cabinet over 2.5 years after installation. Maybe the OPs designer works for the company in roarah’s photo?

No issues with the paint.

mezzsop thanked johnsoro25
  • roarah
    6 years ago

That was the point i was trying to make. The ID may be suggesting some brands behave better than others and is steering the op away from types of cabinets not white ones per say.

mezzsop thanked roarah
  • beth09
    6 years ago

This is not acceptable for normal wear and tear. I don't care who says what.

mezzsop thanked beth09
  • smalloldhouse_gw
    6 years ago

I was trying to avoid painted cabinets in part for the wear-and-tear factor, but at the last minute took the plunge. Four years later there's not a single mark. Our kitchen is a narrow corridor and sees a ton of traffic in a small house. I have 2 very big and rough boys who occasionally take a soccer game into the kitchen. Ours aren't white (taupe/greige) but the point is that the paint has held up to a lot of use.

Ours was not a high-budget reno; the cabinets are Diamond brand, which we got through a cabinet shop but which are also available at Lowes.

mezzsop thanked smalloldhouse_gw
  • roarah
    6 years ago

That is not my parents actual cabinet but their damage is similar, but at this point in time not as extensive. And no I do not feel that it is acceptable either but it does sometimes happen even with higher end cabinets, or maybe only with their brand, and that might be the designer's reasoning for not wanting to work with certain style painted doors and brands.

mezzsop thanked roarah
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Sink cabinets often sustain damage from water, regardless of price point. Manufacturer's warranties don't cover water damage. Water outside of the sink is considered abuse. Some people have 30 year old cabinets without water damage, and some have 3 year old cabinets that have it.

It comes down to usage habits at the sink rather than brand. And sink and faucet choice.

I'm sloppy, sadly. But I try to dry off any spills as quickly as possible. I bought a second set of doors for the sink cabinet as an insurance policy, because I know myself.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Whether you would be "doomed" or not with painted cabinets, depends much on who lives in your house and how you live in it. I've had painted cabinets now for over 33 years. Until a year ago, these were old cabinets that we painted ourselves. We used a high quality, gloss oil-based enamel and we experience no chipping or damage other than were a heavy metal step stool fell against the side of one cabinet with considerable force and made a small dent. My new cabinets have a factory-applied finish. I've only had them 1 year and they look like they did the day they were installed.

BUT...I either have heat or AC going in my house year 'round due to pulmonary problems, so my indoor climate is consistent re temp and humidity.

I've never had a bunch of rowdy, undisciplined children living in my house. I do have two grandsons who are her regularly but they have been trained since they were toddlers that kitchen cabinets are NOT an indoor jungle gym on which they may climb. I've been in many houses where the children were standing on open doors and drawers, swinging from upper doors, and banging metal toys against the cabinets. While nothing can truly take this kind of true ABUSE (which I'm sure their parents considered "normal" wear and tear!), stained wood will take such far better than paint.

I have been in kitchens where I wonder what on earth they did in theirs to cause the damage I've seen. The cabinets around the sink were rotted and badly worn, veneer peeling off. Drawer fronts falling off. Doors hanging by one hinge. But then the rest of the house looked the same - it's as if they invited the Vandals and the Hoardes in for a week of war maneuvers.

If your designer has seen the results of such conduct in your house, then she's correct - you are doomed with painted kitchen cabinets. If her statement is based on the poor quality she sells, that is an entirely separate matter.

mezzsop thanked Anglophilia
  • mezzsop
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone! - I appreciate the information and conversation. I may not mention everyone's name, but please know I have read and am grateful for all comments. I particularly appreciated the photos of "normal" cracking. What was being implied to me was random cracking throughout surface areas was to be expected. And if that were true, I couldn't see how anyone was enjoying their painted cabinetry. It didn't add up!

fori and Chess - The cracking in sophie's pics are completely fine with me, too. :) Our kitchen is not intended to have a formal look; We want it to be breezy, fresh and casual. Those cracks are more charming than disfiguring to me.

smalloldhouse - thanks. We don't have that kind of action in our home at all; if your situation is the norm, we should be more than fine.

roarah - that chipping is terrible. Of course your mom is disappointed. Were the cabinets inset? Your initial response to my post was exactly what I was starting to fear, a big dollar spent and very unhappy results. It was why I posted. I've waited a long time for this kitchen. The ID did want me to get Crystal cabinets, interestingly enough.

Debbi - I had wanted Canyon Creek (a recommend brand here) Windsor or Canterbury, but l can easily go recessed with the Concord or Quincy. I'm flexible. I do like mitered corners - something the ID said no to as well. What do you think? She says only Normandy style - and it is just too bare for me. As I mentioned, we have high humidity, so I can appreciate that the raised panel is best not considered. I want what will work.

If the chipping is not wide-spread and I am comfortable with the kind of cracking I can expect (and which is in other finishes but simply doesn't show), I am a lot more comfortable now with paint. You know, I had told her that if she could show me something in a wood finish that would work in the space and give it the feel we want, we would be happy to look at it. She hasn't brought one idea to the table. Just tells me what I can't have. This makes her sound terrible, I know - and she isn't. I'm sure. I think she had some serious trouble with an unhappy client and won't go there again. It is all just so frustrating - so I came here!

FYI - I have a different designer coming in this weekend. With what has been said here, I can have a much better conversation with him, I'm sure. My perspective is much broader.

• mezzsop
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anglophillia - sorry I missed your post while doing mine. From what you say, you and I have a lot in common - I am very careful of my home. This IS a separate matter.

• beth09
    6 years ago

Water outside of the sink is considered abuse.

The first time I heard the word abuse in regards to water in a kitchen, especially around a sink, I thought, The world has truly gone mad. So, we're supposed to keep water from ever splashing outside the sink? And if we fail, no matter what we have to drop what we're doing right then and there and dry it off (cuz we can't risk forgetting about it, right)? Does anybody else think this sounds like an excuse for a product that doesn't want to be held accountable to the rigors of everyday normal kitchen living?

Abuse. What, am I gonna get turned in to the Kitchen Authorities? Locked up in a pantry? Handcuffed to a Kitchen Aid mixer??

Please, no need to school me on the "abuse" thing, I already know the drill. I just find it utterly ridiculous. :)

• janedoe2012
    6 years ago
    Mezzsop,

Maybe consider posting a photo or two of what you had in mind and what you current kitchen looks like? The designer’ attitude sounds so odd, I’m wondering if there is something very unique about your choices or how you use you kitchen. It doesn’t sound like it, though.
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Well, I'm a clean-up as one goes along kind of gal. Yes, if water splashed all over the fronts of my cabinets and on my hardwood floor in front, I WOULD wipe it up immediately! It really depends on how one uses ones kitchen sink. I had a dog hygiene situation this AM, and with her squirming, water did splash on the cabinet doors. As soon as I got her out of the sink and towel dried, I cleaned up the water.

But I no longer have my yard man polish my silver in the kitchen sink - just way too many splashes and silver polish going everywhere. I have him use the big old cast concrete laundry tubs in the basement.

What is one person's acceptable standard may well not be another's. It's your house and you can live in it as you please.

• roarah
    6 years ago

The paint on my parents cabinets was applied too thinly during production and comes of if you use the green side of the sponge in areas and has nothing to do with how they live. They are retired, no pets and not huge cooks and clean as they go. Their contractor sanded and repainted the worst areas with the supplied touch up paint kits and now that it is properly painted with enough paint that area is holding up better but the finish on their cabinets was faulty from the get go. They may have got unlucky for the brand is well respected in the industry and it is not indicative of all painted cabinet experiences but it can and does occur often enough to people who did nothing wrong.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

The green side of a sponge is a SCRUBBER. It is highly abrasive. Not a good choice to use on cabinets of ANY finish. It's made to be used on pots and pans with burned on food.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Whoa I missed the green scrubber thing. Agree with that^^ completely. Using such a scrubber on wood will absolutely damage the finish, no matter what it is. It's a SCOURING pad. You don't "scour" wood, unless you are trying to remove the finish.

• rantontoo
    6 years ago

Green scrubby....shouldn’t be used on stained cabs either! Oh my!

• User
    6 years ago

Cabinets should be dry dusted. That’s it.

If something is spilled on them, a dampened microfiber cloth is all that is needed to wipe it off. Maybe a bit of Dawn. Water should not pour down their fronts. Gallons of water shouldn’t be swished across the floor to mop. And they should never ever be scrubbed with anything abrasive. Not even a Mr Clean eraser.

That would all be abuse.

Allowing food residue to harden on a cabinet long enough to need vigorous rubbing is borderline abuse. Who lives like that? Are people doing anthropological studies of wild animals rather than rearing well behaved members of society? And do they think that abuse and vandalism is normal?

• stillpitpat
    6 years ago

I am happier and happier that we are only doing painted uppers.....

• sherri1058
    6 years ago

I am happier and happier that we are only doing painted uppers.....

Just curious, why is that? My last kitchen had painted cabinets and a stained island. When we redid the kitchen after 13 years, it was the stained cabs that showed more wear and tear.

• stillpitpat
    6 years ago

Just from reading this thread. I got the impression that painted cabs (and ours will be white) show more wear than stained/natural.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

If your cabinets are properly painted, everything wipes up easily with a damp microfiber- no elbow grease needed. Properly painted cabinets do not show wear easily. This thread is about poorly painted cabinets.

• stillpitpat
    6 years ago

Well, in our case, we will probably have water splashing on our lowers and bits of food smeared on both lowers and uppers, due to our son's motor issues, so we may have more stuff to deal with than your average bear. Lots of wiping in the new kitchen. I'll make sure we have the right cloths around for that.

• User
    6 years ago

For hard use situations, look at cabinets rated for exterior or commercial use. They make them out of resins or stainless, or some in specially processed wood. They aren’t completely impervious, but they will withstand a lot more than interior residential cabinets will.

• freeoscar
    6 years ago

you can have bad staining jobs which don't hold up and great paint jobs that hold up very well, but the likelihood of the former is lower than the likelihood of the latter.

• M Miller
    6 years ago

I think that the reveal about using a green scrubbie on the painted cabinets changed the entire discussion. I don't even use a green scrubbie on my granite, i.e. on a rock, much less on a painted cabinet. Is this thread now about whether painted cabinets hold up, or is it more about what to do and not do so that your cabinets look good over the long term?

• Chessie
    6 years ago

stillpitpat

Just from reading this thread. I got the impression that painted cabs (and ours will be white) show more wear than stained/natural.

I agree that painted cabinets will show wear more easily than stained. My knotty pine cabinets hid so much grime that I was a bit appalled when I took them off to prep them for painting. The edges were very hard to clean as they were not smooth - all the dust and grease just settled into all the ridges. I could smack the cabinet with a stepstool and not even flinch, because you really couldn't notice the dings unless you got up close. This was one of the lower doors, before cleaning.

This was after cleaning - and it was a JOB.

They looked so much better, that had I not already decided to paint, I might have been fine with keeping them LOL!! (So glad I didn't though.) The cleaning of these was just too difficult a task. And honestly, I don't WANT a surface that hides dirt so much that I wind up with truly dirty surfaces. My painted cabinets are far easier to clean, as they have such a smooth surface now, and yes, I can SEE the dirt, but for me that means I can keep them clean a helluva lot easier.

Again, depends on the type of wood surface you have, but mine were just not the best for staying clean, with little effort. I am much happier knowing that my cabinets are truly clean, with not a whole lot of work.

• roarah
    6 years ago

For the record I use a sponge with a green side on all my painted wood work and cabinets in my house and on my stained wood and marble sometimes gingerly and sometimes with a bit of elbow with nay a chip any where....

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Unfortunately, I think that for many families today, "abuse and vandalism" may well be the norm. Just look at how many children behave in public. If that's what they are like in public, just imagine what they are like at home!

A couple of year ago, a cousin, his wife, their grown daughter and 4 yr old grandson were passing through. Cousin asked if they could stay with me - they had in the past, but when it was just cousin and wife. I said no as my house isn"t set up for a 4 yr old. Cousin said it was probably a good choice, as the child was "a bit of a handful". We agree to meet and visit in the lobby of the hotel where they were staying. OMG! Thank heavens I never allowed that child in my house! He was EVERYWHERE! He stood on the end table with lamps and jumped off. No one said a word. He climbed on all the furniture. He finally succeeded in knocking a large lamp off one of the tables. His mother just put it back but left the shade askew. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Then I remember that when DD had gotten married 18 years before, cousin and wife bought their two daughter and a son to the lovely cocktail buffet party my neighbor gave for all the out of town guests while the rehearsal dinner was taking place (had to be limited to 32 people due to space). My neighbor later told me that she heard a racket upstairs and went up to find that the tree children had gone upstairs (without permission), had taken all the decorative pillows off her bed, and were jumping on it like it was a trampoline! I can assure you my cousin was NOT raised to behave like that! Who considers this acceptable?

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Anglo, I guess that your story is good news for stores like IKEA. People will just buy junk, destroy it and then replenish and start all over again. No one will be troubled with what to do with granny's brown furniture anymore. Wow. I grew up in a family that expected practically every purchase to last a lifetime in both function and style.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

"Who considers this acceptable?"

Apparently many do. I sometimes think I was very lucky to have a kid that knew what “no” meant. Of course he made up for all that when he was 16 and older LOL. But honestly, my sister had two kids, and made nothing but quality furniture purchases from the very start of their household. Nothing was trashed, nothing needed to be thrown out due to abuse and carelessness. I think it’s just a difference in the way people are raised. Different priorities. A different mindset entirely.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    6 years ago

Messzop - the mitre corner doors show that joint line much more readily. Whether you do a raised panel or flat panel really makes no difference if you can get it as an mdf panel. A solid wood center panel is paintable but it " moves" more so you might get a halo effect when it gets dry ( this can happen with stained cabinets as well ).

• User
    6 years ago

Halo effect.

Which is why many of the makers have taken to finishing the door parts before assembly.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz