SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hc528

Bit off more than I can chew! An out of control Echeveria!

hc528
6 years ago

Found myself at not the best nursery, I was there to buy rocks in bulk. Saw this gorgeous/horrifying succulent which I later identified as Echeveria Peacockii (I think). It had stems that we’re gnarled, twisted, weighed a ton, and completely draped over. The stems were almost 18 inches long. It had these gorgeous tips with beautiful blooms. I took it as it was this sad plants’ last ditch effort at survival. I couldn’t leave it behind.

Turns out that it had tons of mealybugs. I beheaded everything and did a serious spray, waited for it to all die, and then I rinsed all the heads under water. Took a magnifying glass, qtips, paper clip and scraped every crevice. I pulled well over 100 leaves, and am waiting for it to dry.

Two questions:

1. Any way this mealybug is coming back? No chance it would lay eggs in the crown of the plant, right?

2. I know alcohol doesn’t hurt the plant but do you think it’ll keep it from forming roots? I wiped every single Loose leaf cutting with alcohol. I just hope it still grows roots for me.

Thanks!

Carol

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations