SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
willima6

Kids off to college - is it time to build our dream home?

Mark Williams
6 years ago

My wife and I have lived in our current home for more than 20 years. When we purchased the house we wanted a house that the kids could grow up in and call home. Along the way we lived well below our means, created great memories with our children and overall our house has served us very well.

Now that our youngest child will be heading off to college next year we are entertaining the idea of building our empty nest dream home. The problem is our empty nest dream home is significantly bigger than our current home - basically we would be going from 3,000 sq ft to over 7,000 sq ft. Side note: it is amazing how fast the square footage adds up when you start dropping in all the rooms and features you think you want.

My wife and I have worked hard throughout our entire career and have been incredibly blessed financially. We have no debt and can afford to pay cash to build our dream home and still have more than enough money to live very comfortably for the rest of our lives. So, to some extent this is not a financial issue for us.

However, I am completely torn. Part of me thinks that life is short and we've worked hard to put ourselves in this position so just go for it. The other part of me thinks we are absolutely crazy for even considering such a big house and we should just build another moderately sized home to live out our days.

What would you do?

Comments (63)