SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gm_tx

Utility/pantry flooring and transition? Help please!

gm_tx
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are in the process of drywalling in about 6.5ft of our attached garage to create an enclosed utility room and walk-in pantry storage.

The walls are going up, along with added electrical, lighting, etc., but I'm stumped about what to do for flooring in this room.

Basically, there is an existing doorway, that is currently an exterior door leading to the garage. This door will be replaced with a 3-lite frosted glass interior door, so we would eliminate the existing metal threshold. In a perfect world, we'd use the same flooring from inside the house currently, and just continue that seamlessly into the new utility room.

However, that current flooring is beige porcelain tile (16-inch) that is 13 years old, so we likely would not have a perfect match. In addition, it's looking dated, and I'd like to replace it in the next 5 years. So, don't really want to spend money now putting down something that I don't even like and will be a pain to remove.

(Disclaimer: My husband picked out this flooring at HD before we were together! I did not pick it. ;)

I'm wondering if VCT tile might be a good option. I was thinking two colors, (similar neutrals to current flooring) done in a checkerboard pattern. (tone-on-tone, lighter/darker greige, I think). Would this be similar enough to what we have, but more importantly, DIFFERENT enough?

If we do VCT tile, how would we transition from one flooring to the other? We have maybe a dozen extra porcelain tiles, so maybe we could use those to cut a sort of transition strip?

Thoughts?

Some photos of the connecting space, for reference:

In this pic, you can see the door on the left that leads to garage, currently:

Our house is a limestone 70's ranch. Our decor style is kind of eclectic ... Some midcentury pieces, with some light industrial touches, and some family antiques peppered in.

I made my idea books public, if you want to take a look.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments (10)