SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
portlandmysteryrose

A List: Roses We Know are Incorrectly or Correctly Labeled

Inspired by a few threads of late, it occurred to me that it might be helpful to start a list of roses that we know are either correctly or incorrectly labeled at particular nurseries. Some "not cultivars" have been mislabeled and sold for years, and forum members have spent countless hours, our last dregs of energy and precious resources procuring and nurturing tiny bands of green only to discover that the prized rarities are actually Dr. Huey or roses which are identical to our last 25 mislabeled purchases.

I'll start off the seasonal naughty and nice list with Reine des Violettes. Some roses, like this one, are surrounded by a common imposter. "Not RdV" is thorny, stingy of bloom and offers lovely deep pink, but not mauve-purple, blossoms. Independent Oregon nursery Joy Creek offers the real deal. Which nurseries do you know that sell "Not RdV" and the real deal?

Pasting from another thread and conversation with Vapovac: One incorrectly labeled plant that Heirloom (or to quote Paul Barden, Errloom) has grown for decades is La Ville de Bruxelles. I think the plant might be, in reality, Comte de Chambord. Plus it looks like Heirloom shared its stock and its error with High Country. HC's website photo images are a match. Has anyone ordered HC's LVdB to confirm? You can get the real deal at Rogue Valley Roses or Palatine Roses.

Thank you all for chiming in and compiling a forum nursery list of real deal and not-so-much. Maybe we can save each other a bit of expense and grief!

Carol

Comments (57)