SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rsturpin27

Placement of ceiling beams vis-a-vis fireplace

Sue & Rob Turpin
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

In our original floor plan design, the ceiling beams were to be positioned symmetrically within the width dimension of the kitchen/family room. In reality, our fireplace will be larger than the original design and will be playing a more prominent visual role than originally planned. Here's my question: Seeing that the fireplace's design will be symmetrical but its position won't be centred in the room, should I :

1) position the parallel decorative ceiling beams (those shown vertical in the attached pic) symmetrically vis-a-vis the fireplace, in other words, should the placement of the beams be equidistant from the center of the fireplace?

or

2) position the ceiling beams equidistant from the outer walls, in other words, width of the entire space?

What would make more visual and congruent sense when you imagine yourself living in that space?

Please note, I've attempted to draw the revised "larger" fireplace to scale on the design plan. There will be a TV placed above the fireplace mantel. A sectional sofa in the upper left corner (but not the stairs) of this pic. The fireplace is an island, so to speak, such that you can walk all the way around it.

Thanks for your input, insight and ideas!

Comments (3)