SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 10 - 28 - 17

User
6 years ago

Ivan Turgenev Quotes
Russian - Novelist October 28, 1818 - September 3, 1883

We sit in the mud... and reach for the stars.
Ivan Turgenev

Time sometimes flies like a bird, sometimes crawls like a snail; but a man is happiest when he does not even notice whether it passes swiftly or slowly.
Ivan Turgenev

To desire and expect nothing for oneself and to have profound sympathy for others is genuine holiness.
Ivan Turgenev

One may speak about anything on earth with fire, with enthusiasm, with ecstasy, but one only speaks about oneself with avidity.
Ivan Turgenev

A poet must be a psychologist, but a secret one: he should know and feel the roots of phenomena but present only the phenomena themselves in full bloom or as they fade away.
Ivan Turgenev

Who among us has the strength to oppose petty egoism, those petty good feelings, pity and remorse?
Ivan Turgenev

Women... can't live with 'em... can't shoot 'em.
Ivan Turgenev

In the end, nature is inexorable: it has no reason to hurry and, sooner or later, it takes what belongs to it. Unconsciously and inflexibly obedient to its own laws, it doesn't know art, just as it doesn't know freedom, just as it doesn't know goodness.
Ivan Turgenev

The word tomorrow was invented for indecisive people and for children.
Ivan Turgenev

Circumstances define us; they force us onto one road or another, and then they punish us for it.
Ivan Turgenev

There are some moments in life, some feelings; one can only point to them and pass by.
Ivan Turgenev

Most people can't understand how others can blow their noses differently than they do.
Ivan Turgenev

However much you knock at nature's door, she will never answer you in comprehensible words.
Ivan Turgenev

People without firmness of character love to make up a fate for themselves; that relieves them of the necessity of having their own will and of taking responsibility for themselves.
Ivan Turgenev

Death's an old joke, but each individual encounters it anew.
Ivan Turgenev

Nature creates while destroying, and doesn't care whether it creates or destroys as long as life isn't extinguished, as long as death doesn't lose its rights.
Ivan Turgenev

In days of doubt, in days of dreary musings on my country's fate, you alone are my comfort and support, oh great, powerful, righteous, and free Russian language!
Ivan Turgenev

Whatever a person may pray for, that person prays for a miracle. Every prayer comes down to this - Almighty God, grant that two times two not equal four.
Ivan Turgenev

I agree with no one's opinion. I have some of my own.
Ivan Turgenev

Edith Head Quotes
American - Designer October 28, 1907 - 1981

Your dresses should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady.
Edith Head

Fashion is a language. Some know it, some learn it, some never will - like an instinct.
Edith Head

What a costume designer does is a cross between magic and camouflage. We create the illusion of changing the actors into what they are not. We ask the public to believe that every time they see a performer on the screen, he's become a different person.
Edith Head

You can have anything you want in life if you dress for it.
Edith Head

My motto is that the audience should notice the actors, not the clothes.
Edith Head

Many women have asked me if it is possible to have a well-built wardrobe on a limited budget. 'Money,' I tell them, 'is no guarantee of taste, and an overstuffed wardrobe is often as bare as a skeleton when it comes to wearable apparel.'
Edith Head

Building a proper wardrobe is like building a home. Indeed, you should think of it like a home, because it is something you're going to live in. It must be comfortable and suit all your needs.
Edith Head

Many faux pas of fashion can be avoided if you curb your instinctive desire to buy things with your heart instead of your head.
Edith Head

Some people need sequins, others don't.
Edith Head

If you hunger for certain types of clothes, for which you have little use, put yourself on a diet. Just as you resist too much whipped cream and French pastry to keep your figure in shape, you can say no to those yearned-for but unneeded purchases that lead to a wardrobe that is shapeless and without form.
Edith Head

As women, we all have certain weaknesses. I know one who can't resist pretty shoes but has nothing suitable to wear with them. Others adore frilly lingerie but never have any money to buy outer clothing.
Edith Head

Couture has copied my things for years, in addition to countless other costume designers, claiming theirs were the original ideas. It's all part of the business, unfortunately.
Edith Head

Before you are interviewed for the job you want, try on the complete outfit you intend to wear.
Edith Head

Growing old gracefully used to begin at about 35, but today women prefer to 'stay young gratefully' with thanks to designers, beauticians and plastic surgeons.
Edith Head

There's no such thing as a standard size movie star, or woman for that matter.
Edith Head

With women, there's a basic female instinct of caring deeply about the way they look; women stars have a narcissist complex.
Edith Head

You can lead a horse to water and you can even make it drink, but you can't make actresses wear what they don't want to wear.
Edith Head

I've dressed thousands of actors, actresses and animals, but whenever I am asked which star is my personal favorite, I answer, 'Grace Kelly.' She is a charming lady, a most gifted actress and, to me, a valued friend.
Edith Head

I have yet to see one completely unspoiled star, except for Lassie.
Edith Head

A designer is only as good as the star who wears her clothes.
Edith Head

I have yet to see one completely unspoiled star, except for the animals - like Lassie.
Edith Head

Even the most beautiful legs - Marlene Dietrich's, for instance - look better when the kneecap is covered.
Edith Head

We don't make glamorous movies today. Everything now is very realistic, artistic - and depressing. When is the last time you you saw a wonderful musical or a fabulous fantasy?
Edith Head

I always wear beige, black or white. For one thing I look good in them. For another, when I'm beside a star at a fitting, and she looks into the mirror, I don't want to be competing in any way.
Edith Head

Every different director has another language - for instance, Hitchcock does not like any bright color ever, unless the story says 'there goes the girl in a red dress.'
Edith Head

Jonas Salk Quotes
American - Scientist October 28, 1914 - June 23, 1995

The reward for work well done is the opportunity to do more.
Jonas Salk

Hope lies in dreams, in imagination, and in the courage of those who dare to make dreams into reality.
Jonas Salk

Intuition will tell the thinking mind where to look next.
Jonas Salk

There is hope in dreams, imagination, and in the courage of those who wish to make those dreams a reality.
Jonas Salk

It is always with excitement that I wake up in the morning wondering what my intuition will toss up to me, like gifts from the sea. I work with it and rely on it. It's my partner.
Jonas Salk

I have had dreams and I have had nightmares, but I have conquered my nightmares because of my dreams.
Jonas Salk

Nothing happens quite by chance. It's a question of accretion of information and experience.
Jonas Salk

The worst tragedy that could have befallen me was my success. I knew right away that I was through - cast out.
Jonas Salk

I pictured myself as a virus or a cancer cell and tried to sense what it would be like.
Jonas Salk

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996
More Discussions