SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
lizuws

Layout help needed for odd-shaped kitchen

lizuws
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This forum was so helpful when we renovated a former apartment almost 10 years ago. Now I'm back for ideas on how best to layout a kitchen that is pretty large (by NYC apartment standards at least) but has a number of odd bump-outs that cannot be moved. I've gone through several permutations but nothing is jumping out at me as "the one."

We are combining the laundry room and galley kitchen into one large kitchen and a small office. I'm attaching the original floorplan for the apartment as well as the new kitchen space with one potential layout drawn in.

Here are our constraints:

• The shaded items on the diagram are structural columns or plumbing/gas risers that cannot be moved.
  • The doorways at the right and bottom of the diagram cannot be moved. The doorway at the top of the diagram could be moved to the left a bit or possibly closed up.
  • Windows also cannot be moved, although they can be shortened so putting counters in front of them is not an issue. One of the two bigger windows needs to have a through-wall air conditioner installed below it, although that can fit under a counter.

Wish list:

• seating for at least 4, ideally at table/banquette rather than counter height because we have 2 young kids
  • 30-36" gas range, or open to a gas cooktop and separate wall oven if space allows
  • appropriate vent hood for range
  • built-in or countertop MW set in an upper cabinet, or open to an undercounter MW
  • standard DW
  • we love the idea of a 48" refrigerator, but could probably live with standard size
  • one-bowl sink
  • pull-out trash and recycling
  • pantry cabinet
  • counter space for coffee maker, small toaster oven, panini press
  • need to fit W/D somewhere, although stackable ok, prefer standard size but could go down to 24"
  • space for a small TV
  • small office space for one person (two desktop monitors and 2 CPUs, printer, shredder, some file storage), currently slated for the area near the back door
  • cabinets will likely be custom to maximize our odd-shaped space

About us: We are 2 adults and 2 toddlers, and use the kitchen frequently but mostly for simple cooking. We need space for the kids to help with cooking. We cook more elaborately a few times per month. We will have a separate dining room but prefer to eat almost all meals in the kitchen.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz