SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lissapsu38

Conflicting answers re: chandelier vs. table size vs. room size

lissapsu38
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'd appreciate some help regarding the size of a chandelier. There are similar advice threads all over, and I've tried to do my research without bothering people, haha, but the threads are giving me conflicting advice re: measuring the chandelier to the size of a room vs. the size of the table.

I have a living and dining area in an L shape. The living room portion is about 14 feet by 15 feet. The dining area portion is about 9 by 9, not including the additional open walkway to the side of it (I guess about 3 feet wide), but the living/dining obviously flow into one another - they are very open to each other.

The "room size proponents" say that the 9 by 9 measurement would require an approx. 18 inch chandelier above the table, and with the walkway added in (9 by 12), would require approx. 21 inches. However, the table we have is a 54" round, which the "table size proponents" say should have between a 36 and 42 inch chandelier. Obviously the difference is extreme between the two schools of thought. We have an 8 foot ceiling.

I'm uploading three pictures. The first two are the table and chairs that we have just purchased. We will probably be adding a 5th chair around the table. The rug is just there until we get one that fits the space and table, and the little pantry will be gone as we are redoing our kitchen, so ignore them please :) the current chandelier was the one installed by the old homeowners when they moved out.
No idea of the size offhand. The third pic is old and dark but you can see the area where the table goes on the left, and the L shape of the room, along with the walkway I'm talking about (and my little pup).

The chandelier we are looking at is a 32" round orb. Do you think this is too large? Too small? Too tall? (Please say no because I love it haha) Thanks so much!!!

Comments (3)