SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Finished! Minimalist with MCM roots

Pipdog
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We're almost done with the remodel of our mid century modern post and beam home. We are still waiting a few cabinets and details, but we've been using the kitchen for a week or so now so I thought I'd share my reveal.

The original kitchen (so much brown!):

After a 3 month clean up, we lived there for almost 4 years before starting a major remodel and addition. Initially, we were just going to update the cabinets and replace the appliances/counters, but after working in the kitchen for a few months, we realized the layout did not work for a family. There was no storage/pantry, little counter work space, and the only window faced the garage. We decided to swap the spaces and make the original kitchen a family room:

Construction phase:

While the home is undeniably MCM, the new kitchen leans minimalist in style. The goal was a symmetrical and monochromatic space with a simple layout. We wanted the focus to be on the views and wanted the kitchen to be a calm, quiet space with some texture for visual interest.

We blew out the walls and demolished a not-to-code fireplace and installed a wall of glass that extends the 60 feet across the back of the house. The kitchen is to the right in this image - the dining room and living room are all open to the kitchen.

Some of you may remember the difficulties with the stain color of the cabinets - it took our cabinet maker 3 months and several attempts at re-staining to achieve the driftwood color. We considered switching out the doors for walnut, but I'm glad I stuck with the ribbed cabinets.

I'm grateful for the community and the collective wisdom here, especially those that encouraged me to keep these cabinets, even though wasn't sure about them at first. Thanks GW/Houzz for being such a great resource!

Details:

Cabinets: custom routed with a grey/driftwood stain/wash and lacquer; custom stainless steel cabinets on back of island (still not installed), local cabinet maker

Counters/Backsplash: Neolith Calacatta, Satin finish

Sink: Kraus 36' (thanks GW for recommending this -- what a find!)

Pulls: Atlas Homeware Successi "It" Pull; Mockett edge pulls on uppers and cabinets under island; fridge and pantry pull from Atlas Homeware

Faucet: MGS HD Spin pull out

Floors: Imola Micron 4 ft x 4ft in white

Fridge: SubZero 736TCI

Wine fridge: U-Line 18 inch undercabinet fridge

Double Ovens: Bosch 800 series, 30" combo speed oven

Cooktop: Bosch 800 series, 36" 5 burner

Dishwasher: Fisher Paykel double tall drawers, DD24DTI7

Hood: Miele integrated hood (hidden in soffit)

Undercounter lights: Alloy LED light strips (housed in track)

Pendants: Niche Modern "Solitaire"

Chandelier: Arteriors Zanadoo, brass

Mono point lights: Tech Lighting

Barstools: Midj

Comments (115)