SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lookintomyeyes83

When your appraiser just doesnt *get* your home...

lookintomyeyes83
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Anyone else have this experience? (This is mostly just a rant but...)

We got stuck with a big-name appraiser for our home, who designs for a well known MODERN builder in the 'new money' section of the city. We are building an 'old world traditional' home, VERY similar to those seen in the wealthier OLDER neighborhoods. We have 3-piece baseboards, classic muntined windows with deep sills casings+stool, raised panel kitchen cabs, cast stone fireplace...and he wants to see a linear crushed fireplace, flat-panel or shaker cabs, a blank 'feature wall' with soulless openings for the fireplace and tv, barn doors, and quartz counters.

Eg, this is the big builder he appraises for... notice the love of 'autoroofs' as I call them?

http://www.marichomes.com/71-silverside.html

So he's very vocal during the walkthrough...and sometimes it's really hard not to slap him!

This past walkthrough's comments included:

- using a shallow-depth cabinet against a wall as jetted tub access (and landing spot for my glasses, hairties) instead of a ugly grilled panel was 'kitschy'

- "its good you have a library attached, as your (12'x18') living room is small by today's standards" (Pretty sure in his mind he was knocking down the wall between them! :P )

At least he liked a FEW things

- the stained fiberglass doors and how they recessed into my thick concrete walls

- that my colors "came together in the end"

- we're not a bungalow like all the other rural homes in our area (except the ONE modern home on our street, that of course he appraised)

Just UGH. Wish we'd been able to find someone who actually liked the style of our house!

Comments (15)