SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

Love my grasses this time of year

echolane
6 years ago

I have grasses growing in every section of my garden. Calamagrotis foliosa edges my perennial bed, Carex Cappuccino edges a mixed perennial, rose and conifer bed on one side and Molinia caerulea variegata edges the other side of this bed. And grasses are here and there everywhere, most are putting on a pretty fall show.

Panicum virgatum Heavy Metal

A still small first year Panicum virgatum Northwind just starting to color. It's going to be a wonderful Yellow. Helenium Madrid Gras at its feet and Dahlia True Wild Form on the left. The latter has been so floriferous for months!

A third Panicum Top Hat, a naturally shorter plant started turning red a month ago. It's pretty overwhelmed by its companions but you can't miss its red colors. That's Helenium Mariachi Salsa in bloom in the foreground,

Stipa arundinacea is evergreen and colorful all year, though more so this time of year. It looks nice with its companions Sedum Autumn Joy and Helenium Mariachi Siesta.

Stipa ichu puts in a noticeable show all year. I discovered it with great enthusiasm last fall so I bought five of them but I've been a little disappointed because it tends to flop. What a shame because it is so showy!

Comments (6)