SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leasa_brown

New house yard design advice needed

Leasa Brown
6 years ago

This is a home in a new development. We are trying to get them to come add fill to the front of the house under the window. Once that is done and thus, the drainage is corrected I'd like to make plans for the front and rear beds and most importantly site and plant trees. The trees are for garden structure, to set-off the house and to a lesser extent, provide some backyard shade. The front yard is mostly to look nice, the backyard needs to accommodate a future dinning/grill 12'12 patio.

I've attached pictures of each area but don't know how to draw in features or plans. Back yard photo taken from the deck.

The house faces north/north-east and the lot is wedge shaped with a larger front yard. Our property line begins approximately 15' from the neighbors driveway and runs to the white pole seen in back of the SUV. The back faces a farmers field and drainage pond. If/when additional houses are build, they will be on the opposite side of that pond.

I planned on a tree in the front yard, diagonal to the house's corner. Something that will stay in scale with the home. Any suggestions? The front bed will be extended out to 12-15' and planted with a range of perennials, low grasses. In the back yard I'd like to remove the sod from the back 15-ish foot. I thought to frame the yard with two different, mid-sized trees. There will be small trees/shrubs between them. I was considering a honey-locust variety. Anyone have suggestions for trees/shrub mixed back boarder? I do like to use native species when they are appropriate. Advice and suggestions on design and plant selection are welcome. I'm a plant person, design especially of a blank slate is a challenge for me.

Comments (2)