SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginnyjj9b

Naval orange growing only side branches not upright!

ginjj
6 years ago

I've successfully grown citrus trees for 25 years. About 5 years ago I replaced a naval I didn't like with a different one. I guess I should have been watching it's growth more closely because as I look at it today I see big problems.
Several inches off the ground it there are 3 large branches growing, there is no one main branch growing up.
Those branches are vigorous and I just realized way too loaded with fruit; enough to break the branch, so I cut just off most of the fruit from them.

Several years ago I asked a master gardener here in Santa Clara Valley, what to do with the branch that was growing sideways and she said to put a branch support under it to straighten it up. Well I failed in that attempt as is exhibited by the fact none of the branches go up, they all are going sideways. I'd think it is only a matter of time before one or more of them they break off down low.

So what to do with this now?
I could cut all but one of the large branches off and stake the one remaining branch to become the leader.

I could cut the 3 branches back quite a bit and stake them all to an upright position.

I could put limb supports under the 3 large side branches and leave the problem alone for now.

What do you suggest?

I know I should be grateful that the tree looks so healthy and vigorous but I know it's out of control and only a matter of time before branches break. I am also not used to a citrus looking like a shrub rather than growing upright.

I never had to prune or stake my satsuma tangerine or my naval both which are/were at least 25 years old.

It's also interesting, and disheartening, that there are some of the long thorns on some of the branches; never happened before.

I assume what I should have done was to be sure the main branches were growing up right, staked them to be upright or cut some off when the tree was in it's first year or two, but I've got to decide what to do now.

Thanks for your help!

Ginny in warm San Jose zone 9B

Comments (8)