ctaron

Help decorating master bedroom

ctaron
6 years ago

Comments (23)

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm not quite sure how to tie in color here. Our home is pretty small so we can't add to much more.

• jck910
    6 years ago

Take a color or 2 from the art. Throw a "throw" (lol) over the end of the bed, add a couple of large square pillows behind the lumbar one and add panels to the windows. Lower the art

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

I would begin with a colorful quilt or bedspread that reaches the floor to hide the legs of the bed and curtain panels on the windows. They can be in soft colors, but the stark white makes the room look very stark. The paintings over the dresser look very severe and are also hung much too high. I would find something softer and more colorful to hang there. I'm sorry, but the large collection of photos on the dresser also does nothing for the room. A table lamp and a few pretty decorative objects could be added with a much smaller collection of pictures in pretty metal frames.

• jck910
    6 years ago

Pottery Barn Throws

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

jck910 - does the art work with the room? I have read so much about having color flow through the entire house. Is this really that important?

• er612
    6 years ago

Is paint an option? Lower the art regardless.

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I don't want to paint the walls. We just painted everything white from yellow and green, and eventually would like to sell the home.

• PRO
    Bakker Construction
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

A few suggestions- Mount the tv (attempt to hide the cables in the process), replace the dresser with something shorter and wider, and replace the ceiling fan with something more modern. I agree with Ingrid a few comments above- consider replacing the small photos you placed on the smaller dresser with larger pieces. You're on the right track, keep up the good work!

ctaron thanked Bakker Construction
  • eastautumn
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Maybe you could swap the tall dresser with the shorter, wider chest of drawers so the TV could rest on it without being so high up. I'm still learning what works myself through trial and error, but recently found that switching 2 pieces of furniture in our master bedroom made a huge, positive difference in the feel of our room.

If you love the art, I wouldn't worry about it not "working" in your room or going with your house. The color looks pretty subtle (I see mostly black and white) anyway. If you don't love it, replacing it with art you DO love could be a great way to bring color in the room. Also, bedding-- either new bedding or a throw as suggested above-- could bring in some of the color you're seeking.

I agree with the other posters that the photo arrangement isn't something that adds to the room from a decor standpoint, but it's your bedroom (not a public space in your home), so I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect if the pictures make you smile when you see them. You can always store them when you're ready to sell. Of course, if they've been there so long that you're no longer even "seeing" them, then definitely consider making a change. Our night stands are usually covered in an ever-evolving mix of crafty offerings from our kids (origami flowers, Lego creations, crocheted trinkets, etc.) that do nothing for the decor but do a lot for my soul.

ctaron thanked eastautumn
  • Paddy
    6 years ago

Definitely swap the dressers - the TV is too high, so it would be better on the lower dresser. TVs should be at head height for comfortable viewing. Put a simple tailored bedskirt (white?) on the bed and then pick a new duvet cover and bedding that pulls some of the brown tones from the carpet and the walnut-stained furniture and another colour or two that you like. A soft blue would be one option. As for the art work - I don't think red and black is where you want to go with this room, not with a brown carpet and walnut dressers. Also - I can't tell from the photos, but do you have bedside tables? I have no idea of your taste in colours or patterns, but here's just one option for a duvet cover...http://www.vikingwaterford.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/costello-group-inc-duvet-covers-bed-bath-beyond-brown-blue-plaid-euro-sham-cover-white-leaves-teal-comforter-set-black-wooden-headboard-grey-wall-painting.jpg

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

Personally, I like white bedrooms. I have one myself and don't find it stark at all. To make them work, try to add some texture in other whites and the color of the carpet, also some brass in accessories, or black, maybe a lambskin on the floor, plants.

What does your headboard or nightstands/side tables look like?

Add some plug in sconces instead of the floor lamp.

You can put a lamp shade over the ceiling lights.

Would you be open to adding a curtain rod and curtains?

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Unfortunately, I need to leave the tv where it is because of how the tv is hooked up.

• Paddy
    6 years ago

I'm not suggesting you change the location of the tv - just put it on the lower dresser in that location. Unless it's attached to the wall, which it doesn't seem to be (and cable and electrical outlets are typically low on the wall) then this should work. Where are the cable and electrical outlets?

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I don't think there is enough space to switch both dressers. What do you think about putting the bed under the window?

• Paddy
    6 years ago

How wide is each of the dressers, and how wide is the space (space clear of doors) where they can go? Measure. Let us know. And do you have a headboard on that bed? The window looks pretty low - but again, without measurements, we can't tell. Also, you'd want to center the bed on the window, and from the looks of things, you have a closet (?) between the tall dresser and the window wall, which would make things all very awkward. Maybe a quick sketch with the floor plan and measurements would help here? If you do it on graph paper to scale, then you can also cut out your furniture shapes and move them around, which is easier than moving things around in real life. ;)

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I moved the television to the shorter dresser and I got a lamp for it too. I know many of you said you didn't like the art work but I kinda like it now with the tv. What do you think?

• ctaron
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I also moved the bed under the window. Does anyone like this? I don't have any side tables because the room is too small.

• always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

Bed looks good centered, but it looks like you still have space for side tables. Something slim, unless you don't need them. I like the white walls and I think you can easily add a little color even if it's a throw/blanket for the end of the bed and an accent pillow.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

I prefer the bed on the solid wall. I think you could move the art to over your bed and add a bit larger lamp to the dresser. Something in a metallic finish would be pretty. Then add a throw to your bed as suggested and some curtain panels. They don't have to be functional, they should just brush the edges of the window. The art should be hung about 5-6 inches over the top of the pillows and about 1 1/2 inches apart. What colors do you like?

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

I'd go to IKEA and get a bunch of their inexpensive linen-look curtains.

• Paddy
    6 years ago

Art over the TV is still too high. Artwork should be at eye height - so the centre of the artwork should be approximately 58" from the floor. I don't think you want art above the TV. The lamp is too small proportionally, but if you got a bigger one, I think you'd be on the right track.

I'm not a huge fan of the bed under the window - but I read in bed and don't like leaning up against a window/curtains etc. (especially when the grand-cat thinks it's fun to attack my head from behind the curtains - the bed we use at the house in the city, now occupied by our kids, happens to be under a window). I also like to open windows at night and don't like cold air blowing on my head. But those are my issues - visually, I think it needs bedside tables - and functionally, for me, they're a must. (see: reading in bed...not to mention a lamp or clock radio or cell phone or reading material or glasses etc.) Small bedside tables are available - something like this would go with your dressers and is only 17"X14":

https://www.houzz.com/products/night-owl-night-stand-in-warm-brown-finish-prvw-vr~28098748

That's just one of many options...

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 years ago

Collage frames are a nice way of displaying a collection of family photos...