SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glibra91

Pendant Lights Above Island with Short Ceiling

Gayle P
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This is a complete kitchen remodel. Ceiling height is 89" from the floor and 54" off the counter. We wired for pendants, but are finding it hard to get any to work. Island is 128" long X 38", we have wired for 3 pendants. We purchased 3 the other day, but I'm not sure if they look right. Pendant measurements from the ceiling to the bottom of the glass with a 6" stem are 20 3/4". It looks a bit funny with such a small stem, but the 12" stem would bring them down to far. We have thought about breaking into the ceiling and doing a tray--but that would only gain us 3 1/2". So not sure if that would allow for a 12" stem or not. It's a lot of work if we still have to go with the 6". What other type of lighting could we do over the island with this ceiling height, even if we did the tray ceiling and gained the 3 1/2"?

Comments (65)

• Gayle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Knowing it's always a personal choice, but has it ever been done to use flush or semi flush over an island?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

i have the same issue w/my large island. and it spans both rooms where the ceiling raises 6". so I have a 3 light in a triangular pattern over the island. One is at 51" (countertop to ceiling) and the other two at 59". I found rod lights, on the smaller size, and they are 33" and 39" from the ceiling. go with smaller type of pendants. Yours are too high in that last pic.

Gayle P thanked Beth H. :
  • Related Discussions

Pendant lights above island in kitchen with 8ft ceilings

Q

Comments (3)
    there is no min for celing height for pendents.....i'd stick to the low volatge pendents they look much better also hang on a thin coax cable as compared to a thick rod or thick wire....check out some of the applacation shots at lbl lighting web site and tech lighting web site.....pm with any questions i'm a lighting designer so can help out.....remember that pendents hang about 2.5 ft off a counter top....just above eye level.
    ...See More

pendant lights above island

Q

Comments (3)
    I saw that, but wasn't sure why it would be an issue. I could understand not using an indoor fixture outside, but any reason I can't use this indoors?
    ...See More

need help in deciding on pendant lights above kitchen center island.

Q

Comments (3)
    You're welcome. :) A few people asked about the ones in this pic but no one answered. I don't know, but I did a google of glass ball pendants, and came up with this. Here's just one place I found some. But clearly there are many. Take your time to find the best one and price!
    ...See More

pendant lighting for 8 ft. island with 9 ft ceilings

Q

Comments (2)
    We're glad you asked! We have advice about this very subject. Pendant size is determined by taking the width (not length) of your island in inches and subtracting 12. The number you get is a good maximum size for a pendant light. We recommend spacing pendants about 2 feet apart, so with your 8 foot island you could definitely go for 3 pendants. If you do choose 3, choose ones that are a bit smaller than the maximum size per pendant as mentioned above. If you go for 2, you could pick out larger pendants (which is a popular look these days), more towards that maximum size per pendant. Please let me know if you have any questions or want me to pick out some item recommendations for you!
    ...See More
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

You can see the electrical cord running the length of the island. It's the white. The only problem is working in the tight space to add lights the ceiling will need some repair as you need a hole large enough to work in.

My personal thought is you are looking at a kitchen that is unfinished. You don't have anything occupying the space except boxes and construction things. No counter tops, no backsplash.........I'd go for it and keep what you have. I think in the long run it will be much better than you think it will today (focusing on the short rod) looking at a construction site. That's my personal opinion on this. The island is very long and I really do not see a problem. If lighting is an issue as I think it might be you might want to make sure they are dimmable (think you said they are) and put in an LED Dimmer (easy switch) or they will flicker and it will give more light than you probably want... the Edison bulbs that are clear vs. yellow tones. In my master I have clear glass conical shaped shades on three sconces and we got, "Edison's" that gives off so much light it's blinding so we put in the LED dimmer and it's adjusted to the light that is perfect so when we hit the wall switch its set to the perfect light we prefer.

If you go this route I can send you the link to the bulbs.

Gayle P thanked Porter Edun
  • Gayle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Beth, your saying a cluster of 3 in the center? The pendants that I have held up seem to high in the photo? Or a flush/semi flush would be to high over an island?

• Gayle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@porter, Yes that makes sense. We only have the cabinets, fridge and a bunch of clutter with the other appliances hanging out in boxes. The ceiling still needs a last coat of paint and we just ordered the sink. So it is going to be a little bit yet. Could you send me the link to the clear Edison bulbs? I thought they only came yellow, which I don't like. I think the switch is already an LED dimmer as the recessed lights are LED and they are in the same box. I will talk to my other half about keeping what we have--a lot less hassle. Worse case, down the road we don't like them and swap them out then. Although if we cut the wire to only use a 6" rod, they will be useless to anyone else probably for a resale.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I think that's what Beth is saying......

Beth, not certain why 33" is too high from the counter top to the bottom of the shade????

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Yes, let me look them up. I got them on Amazon...

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

This is a photo of what they look like on.... we are just finishing our reno. They aren't nice looking on the web, but better in person!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

CRLight

CRLight LED Edison Bulb 8W Dimmable 4000K Daylight (Neutral White) 800LM, 80W Equivalent E26 Medium Base, ST21(ST64) Vintage LED Filament Bulbs, 360 Degrees Beam Angle, Pack of 3

4.3 out of 5 stars 149 customer reviews

| 45 answered questions

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I purchased the neutral not the warm.... there is one that is not dimmable of the options they offer.

I do think that may be your best option to go with them and get the kitchen finished. I think in the long run you might not feel disappointed. Could it have been tweaked a bit? Maybe, but you don't know until you have the whole kitchen finished as this is your focus other than construction and you are focusing on a skinny rod on a larger shade. 33" is not terribly high and given going with LED it can be bright so if you are taller people.....

• Gayle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Those are real nice. Thank you for taking the time to look them up. You can send in a private message or here, it doesn't matter.

We are seeing if we can put them up without cutting all the wires temporarily, to get a better visual.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

I think the pendants look fine. You're overthinking this. I would not get pendants that are any smaller because they will be dwarfed by your 10+' island. And I would not get flush mounts; they'll be too high.

Pot lights are the same thing as can lights, recessed lights, high hats...there are probably other names I've forgotten.

Gayle P thanked groveraxle
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/CRLight-Dimmable-Daylight-Equivalent-Filament/dp/B01DU9XU8G

Above is the link to the Amazon bulbs. Just check your wattage. I got equivalent of 80 watts and my lights would take 100 watts and it is VERY bright!!!!

I think you should stick with your original plan as I said in the end. I think you will be pleasantly surprised when your kitchen is completed and not a construction site. I'm happy to see groveraxle agrees as she's very knowledgeable as well as the other Houzzer's that chimed in....

• Gayle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you groveraxle, This remodel has been in the works for yrs. and has been a little stressful. So I tend to analyze everything at this stage. lol You would think I would just put anything up and say be done.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Gayle, mine are 3 separate. because of the lower kitchen side, I have this offset right in the middle of where I hang them. I'm looking for newer type of pendants. these are about 5 years old. but they are 100w each and give off great light. I just thought the pic that Porter posted w/those two white ones were too high. There's about 20" or so from counter to light?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Love your Fiddle Fig Beth... Yes, they were a bit high and clear glass, but they didn't transpose as such... I was just showing the different in size to 7" lights.

You got knew counters? I love them!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

that fig is ridiculous. I just chopped off 15 lower leafs . I have another one in the bedroom. (excuse my mess,,,i'm redoing my pillow covers and have cat trees all over the place)

same counters. I'm really tired of them and my kitchen. I can't decide if I should keep or paint or reface! haha. the granite is very nice, but it's very busy, and very "not colors I want anymore". it's hard to justify ripping them out though. I'll prob paint the island and redo the backsplash but I know it's not enough.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Well, great you can grow it! I killed 3 and got a giant fake for the master bath in the corner where there are two larger windows?? Here you on the cat trees... we are indoctrinated cat ladies for sure...

Though you had Giallo for what ever reason on your counters???? Either way, looks great. I'm going to paint my island again... yet, with the 3 felines I keep on putting it off!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Hey, be happy you Fig is either happy or you have a green thumb!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Porter----3cats? rookie. my husband just brought home a 6th. a kitten he found on the street at work. yeah I know. I've officially crossed over into crazy town.

mine isn't Giallo. the veining is more exotic? the island has a huge white quartzite deposit that I love, mixed w/some black. I'm just tired of the warm golds. for sure that splash is going. that is going on 18 years?? just can't decide what to do. I can help others but for me I can never decide! lol (PM me w/any ideas!)

why do your trees die? I water them when they're dry and give them a bright window.

Gayle,,,sorry for hijacking!

• chickadee70
    6 years ago

I believe that your glass shade pendants now are not "heavy" enough visually. They are above the island, that is a prominent place, they can call attention to themselves visually, the light weight looking glass and how far apart they are wired is not weighty enough. The three photos Susan posted are good examples. #1 is a weightier milk glass, not clear, two together. #2 are weighter looking glass and a bigger pendant and much closer together than yours are. #3 are peripheral task lights not in the island prominence. I would see about trying out different pendants, I think you have a good eye and that's why you haven't installed them yet, go with that, try out different ones by holding them up too. I don't think the height is an issue.

Gayle P thanked chickadee70
  • Gayle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@chickadee70, so you think a colored or metal rimmed would look more proportionate within the same size?

• Gayle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@beth, No worries at all for hijacking. : )

• chickadee70
    6 years ago

Here's some photos of some I found. The first and last pictures, those pendants have hyalophane glass I believe it's called, that's a real nice glass for visual weight. You can manipulate with shape also, like the drum will add width. A couple of these were 18" wide shades, if you measure, you can see how close together they will be and how that looks. Your large island will benefit from larger, bolder pendants. Yes. I think some metal trim is needed. Thanks for your question. I hope this helps.

• Gayle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Chickadee, I will look into these.

• PRO
    Galilee Lighting
    6 years ago

In Galilee lighting you can choose the length for any pendant, and how many pendants will be on one canopy in any length.

If you are looking for unique lighting ideas, in Galilee lighting we make unique lighting made of hand blown glass in beautiful styles. We specialize in custom lighting.

We invite you to visit our website to view our unique lighting collections.

If you would like to receive our catalog by email and get more ideas, contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com or
    visit www.GalileeLighting.com

We offer free design consultation, to design the perfect size of chandelier for your space. Call us
    at 305-807-8711

Gayle P thanked Galilee Lighting
  • chickadee70
    6 years ago

Gayle-Here's a couple photos of our pendants over the island. We have 8' ceilings. Our island is 8' 6" long. Our pendants are 13" width and hang 31" above our counter. We're at the end of our kitchen remodel, just have to put some trim around window and slider. I like your cabinets. Your kitchen looks like it's going to be very nice! Will you post again when you've gotten your kitchen pendants up?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

chickadee,,,nice pendants. where did you find those?

• chickadee70
    6 years ago

Build.com. Hudson Valley Lighting brand.

• chickadee70
    6 years ago

Thank you for the compliment. I really like the hyalophane glass on the bottoms.

• Gayle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you chickadee, those are nice. You have them on a 12" rod? I see the little one in the back. is that the same size pendant on a shorter stem or the light is smaller also? The electrician came to install the oven yesterday and installed one pendant so we could see it with the light on. What do you think of it now?

• chickadee70
    6 years ago

Each of our pendants came with three rods (4, 8 and 12"). Yes, the pendant above the sink is a smaller pendant than the other two- 10" diameter. The island ones have the 12" rod, the one over the sink has no rod, just the stem that is part of the pendant. What do you think of your pendant now seeing it installed?

• Gayle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I don't think they look as bad as originally thought, but still out of proportion a bit. I have spoke with the store I purchased from and she is having a hard time finding a replacement at a better size.

what do you think?
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I think it's absolutely fine as stated way above. Once your counters, backsplash, etc are in and you have your kitchen done I think you will be pretty darn pleased vs. spending a lot more money and eating the cost of these lights. You mentioned they sit 31" above the counter to the bottom of the glass?

Feel you will be 99.9% satisfied in the end.... just MO on this from the start.

Good luck!

• Gayle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Porter, we are going to put one more coat on the ceiling and them put them up. I will post more picks when things are closer to completion.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Your welcome, I think it's hard at times to visualize. Then you get stuck in a huge cycle of questioning yourself. Your ceiling is low and they work well in the space. I actually like that they are clean looking so it really takes attention away vs. being metal or banded with metal and they will give off the light you need. I do understand it's hard to visualize in a kitchen where right now the light is the sole focus as the rest is construction.

Post when you get the other up! If they are 31" from the counter to the bottom of the shade and it works for your island/your height(s) and workspace it's a good height from the counter top!

• chickadee70
    6 years ago

You can install all of them, and finish your kitchen and post again for opinions. I think your initial post and question of proportion has not changed. You might have to look at them for awhile before you know for sure, take your time. At least they are lights and can easily be changed out.

• daisychain Zn3b
    6 years ago

I know they might look different in real life, but in the pics they look great. I really like them for your kitchen and can't think of anything that would look better.

Gayle P thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • Gayle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is an update with the 3 pendants and fixture with fan to adjoining room.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I think it is absolutely fine given the rod issue. Once you have a kitchen that is done and not a construction zone you'll see it works well. Right now the lights are your focus and the issues you've had since purchasing. Did you get the LED Edison lights? At any rate....get the kitchen done and see it all. I think you will be pretty darn happy.

I need to ask what is the light on the far end of the second to last photo close to the ceiling? I guess what I should say is what will go under it? That I see as an issue if it's going to be a table, not the island by any means.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

what is the measurement from counter to bottom of lights? they look so high to me in the pics.

• Gayle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Porter, I didn't get the LED Edison bulbs yet-the store where we got the pendants gave me 3 halogen bulbs to see if it was better for me as I didn't like the yellow light at all. I am still going to order them when I do a Prime order to see the difference.

That fixture is in a nook--off centered from the pendants--it comes with a chain ;however I am undecided if a table is going to go there or it will stay open, so had it semi-flush mounted. Does it look odd or out of place?

@Beth, Right now they are 34" so when the quartz is installed, it should be about 32 33" from counter to bottom of lights. They seem high, but any lower they are going to be in our eyes.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Beth, this is what I've gone with from the above:

"Our pendants are 13" width and hang 31" above our counter".

However, I do think that once the kitchen is done since the lights have been purchased and are in the kitchen it should be completed before making any decisions so they can see them and make a better decision. Just my thoughts on this as I know it's been a big stressor. If they don't look right then, no issues saying so on my part. Yet, my thought is to wait and see as it may be fine.

Was going to PM you, but..........

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Gayle, no worries on the bulbs.. was just curious as it didn't look like the Edison, "like" bulbs that are LED. Just know you need the LED switch on the wall or they will flicker if you go LED.

As for the light that is high to the ceiling. If you put a table there it needs to be lowered and I'm sure you saved the chain so no issue. Doesn't matter that it is off center from the island lights. Would need to be centered over a table most importantly IMO.

• Gayle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

These pendants are 10.5"W, so it may be close to what Porter did at the 32-33" from counter. Our ceiling is not 8' but only 89". Yes this has been stressful and there are a lot of things I would like to change--but the design is done and money won't really allow me to make changes I see now. I am just trying to get the best look possible with what I have. I am SO open to any ideas that may help things flow better.

• Gayle P
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Porter, Yes we saved the chain in case we decide on a table. I believe we have a LED switch there anyways for the bulbs. Do you think the LED bulbs will look different than the Halogen? If so, How?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

no problem. I was just curious. it's prob just the photo and the construction zone. I'm sure they will be fine. I love the lights.

they will prob look like this when finished, only with shorter rods.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

LED will be much brighter. That's the one reason I mentioned you might have them on a LED dimmer. I recommended them because they are the only ones I know of that offer the, "Edison" look without the yellow which the true Edison does that casts low light as well as yellow light.

Watts do not tell you how bright the bulb is, lumens do. It is easy to estimate how bright an incandescent bulb is; the higher the wattage rating, the more light emitted. ... You can't easily compare a 60W incandescent with a 9W LED with a 12W halogen and know which one will be brighter. Essentially, it puts off a lot of light, the bulbs last a very long time.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I sent you the link prior if you wanted me to send it again that's fine I can look it up again. We have the Neutral and they are, BRIGHT yet we are using them in a master for the, "Edison" look so we have the dimmer set to have them when we hit the switch to go on only at just shy of half their power.

I hope that helped?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Gayle, don't worry about the other room right now... just get the kitchen finished. I should not have asked and I apologize if I added to your stressors. You can work on that room at another time and yes, you have the chain so that's great.