SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
javiwa

Help with tropical milkweed

javiwa
6 years ago

Hello! Two years ago, a GWer was kind enough to send me a generous supply of tropical milkweed seeds from his yard. A few plants sprouted in the springtime (SW facing bed that receives strong sun from morning til late afternoon). By the time they reached 5-7" tall, they were covered with aphids. I blasted with the garden hose several times for a couple of weeks, but the aphids returned. I left them alone, and the young milkweed plants all eventually died.

This past spring, I was happily surprised to see TWs sprouting yet again! A few of them reached ~ 18" tall, then the decline started. They lose most of their bottom leaves, and the tops slowly die.

Here's a morning shot of one of the older shoots:

(Sorry for the bad glare.)

Here's an afternoon shot:

Here are some of the younger plants. They start off looking green and healthy, but don't say that way long. (You can also see the bare bottoms of two older shoots, leaned over from being top-heavy, apparently.)

Any advice would be appreciated, as I'm really trying to get back into butterfly/monarch gardening . (And, yes, I do realize the TWs need to be cut back every winter -- and plan on diligently doing so if I could ever get them to grow and bloom!)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living