please name this perennial plant.

This is a perennial plant blooming now, it didn't bloom whole summer. thanks

Comments (20)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

It is a Chrysanthemum.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

you should be seeing fall flowering mums everywhere.. this time of year .. mostly in yellows.. reds ... etc

it should be easily moved out of that grass ... spring might be a better time .. since there isnt a lot of time left with warm soil ....

ken

• windberry zone5a BCCanada
    6 years ago

Why would you like to move it out of the grass Ken? It looks quite happy to be there.

• Abid Raza Toronto Canada
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes it can survive the winter in contrast to garden mums which I think can't survive the winter.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

may I ask--does it get plenty of sun and regular water? If so, it will continue to grow and each fall you'll have a wonderful bouquet of blooms as other flowers are shutting down.

When folk refer to Chrysanthemums around here it usually means the long-stemmed flowers we give and get for Valentine's Day and Mother's Day. I can't grow those here in zone 5. Only the fall-blooming garden mums.

Heidi

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

There's a bit of confusion creeping in here. Chrysanthemum is a genus. All the various highly bred florists flowers, the light manipulated and chemically dwarfed pot plants and the simple sturdy outdoor versions are all the same plant, botanically speaking. 'Garden chrysanthemum' doesn't really mean anything since whether or not a particular chrysanthemum can be grown in a garden is entirely down to the climate of that garden, not to anything inherent in the plant.

Abid's plant is simply a Chrysanthemum variety hardy enough to survive in his/her climate.

The recommendation to clear away the grass is just standard good gardening practice to eliminate competition for water, light and nutrients. The plant in the picture is not a particularly happy looking specimen imo. It's flowering prettily, yes, but the plant itself could be much sturdier and healthy looking if better cared for.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

i would move it out of the grass ... because the idiot on the riding lawnmower would.. sooner or later.. loose concentration and run it over all summer long ...

and you know who that idiot is.. in my yard .. lol ...

that said.. lol .. its a rather shallow rooted plant ... usually right in the same soil zone where the grass roots are ... so if you got into say.. a drought.. im going to bet the most invasive weed on the surface of the earth .. grass ... will out compete the foo foo flower.. for water.. and eventually nutrients ... [what flora said]

plus.. if you happen to be a lawn warrior.. and use such things as weed and feed ... well this plant is a weed in a perfect grass lawn ...

so i guess it all boils down to.. move it because i said so ... rotflmbo ...

ken

6 years ago

Well, I love nature and in nature flowers grow together with grasses and other plants. I know, it is much easier to grow them separately, but there are many more ambitious gardeners who make efforts to naturalize their flowers.

To my eye, that mum in the grass in the Abid Raza's pic looks healthy and well, much better than I have seen them growing in some people flower beds, better than plants in xsiangirl's pic, if we took a closer look at each one of them. And it is beautiful. Evidently it is also sufficiently cared for.

If someone doesn't likes naturalized gardens, well, they don't have to have them that way, but, please, let others do gardening their own way.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Chrysanthemums are not remotely 'natural'. They have been bred for centuries in gardens. They do not thrive in natural conditions. We all love nature, but trying to grow highly bred garden varieties as if they were hardy natives is not going to succeed if you want them to perform their best. It's like expecting pets to thrive if you turn them loose in the wild. By all means have a wild garden but use suitable plants. Leaving sad scrawny specimens of garden hybrids to struggle among the weeds isn't wild gardening.

• Embothrium
    6 years ago

Grasses often use chemical warfare to suppress competing plants. Various other types including certain trees and shrubs do this also. As mentioned previously there are particular kinds of perennials and bulbs that are suitable for planting in lawns or meadows. Many others may become inhibited by the presence of a strong growth of grass.

Chrysanthemums are divided into two basic groups, garden hardy and exhibition. Garden hardy mums are new perennials capable of wintering in most northern latitudes. Exhibition varieties are not usually as sturdy. Garden hardies are defined by their ability to produce an abundance of small blooms with little if any mechanical assistance, such as staking, and withstanding wind and rain. Exhibition varieties, though, require staking, overwintering in a relatively dry, cool environment, and sometimes the addition of night lights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysanthemum

6 years ago

"Leaving sad scrawny specimens of garden hybrids to struggle among the weeds isn't wild gardening." Well, I don't see any of that in the OP's picture.

Naturalizing is not about native plants. The word means "establish (a plant or animal) so that it lives wild in a region where it is not indigenous." https://www.google.ca/search?q=define+naturalize.

Also, the plant on OP's pic is not an exhibition variety.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

Windberry, you misunderstood me. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Although I said 'as if they were hardy native plants' I did not say only native plants could be naturalised. I said 'suitable plants'. Not the same thing at all. Of course the OPs plant isn't an exhibition variety. No one said it was but neither is it a tough original species. It's a refined hybrid.

I am well aware of what 'naturalising' means both in ecological and horticultural terms. In my view Chrysanthemums of whatever type, are not 'suitable plants' for wild gardening, which is a far more complex activity than simply leaving a bunch of plants to fight it out. That is neglect rather than gardening. There is a reason Chrysanthemums are not seen dotting our roadsides. They simply can't survive outside a setting in which they are protected from competition. While the flowers of the OP's specimen are pretty enough, the blooms could be more prolific and the plant could be larger and healthier without the competition. I would be prepared to bet that if not given some care it will dwindle to nothing in a year or two.

Anyhow, Abid hasn't returned to tell us what style of gardening he prefers, so we don't know whether he is looking to grow this plant as well as possible or simply wants a pretty spot of pink in the yard for a couple of seasons.

6 years ago

I always wonder how much some people want to convert everybody else to their own religion.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

I knew it was a metaphor, Windberry, though rather an acerbic one, and didn't take you literally for a minute. And I understand how passionate you are about nature. It may surprise you to know that I am too. But I still see a rather small, straggly, struggling specimen there which with a little basic care, using accepted gardening techniques and science, rather than a gardening philosophy, could be much more vigorous, floriferous and healthy and live for much longer than if left as it is.

But it's Abid's choice of how he wants to garden. I was just offering advice.

• Ginny
    6 years ago

The Sheffield pink is beautiful

• whatis123 Mo.(6)
    6 years ago

Carol, when I went to buy seeds like at Burpees, they looked really pink in the picture but yours look beautifully white. Is this the same called Sheffield pink even though it looks white on your second picture ? Just curious, thanks.

Carolyn

• carol23_gw
    6 years ago

It is not white, but a soft pink. Look at Rob's plants... and the last two pictures on the left at the bottom of the page. It's accurate... perhaps some sites photo shop....

http://www.robsplants.com/plants/ChrysSheff

• whatis123 Mo.(6)
    6 years ago

I hear you Carol and know what you're saying. They are so delicate and beautiful I'm going to get the seeds. Thank you.

• carol23_gw
    6 years ago

It is a very vigorous plant. The neighbors to whom I gave divisions now have a large patch ! Unfortunately we had six inches of rain in about eighteen hours time between Sunday night late and mid-afternoon Monday.. so they look battered.

I have one seedling of it, paler than Sheffield but not white... while Rob's site shows a darker seedling. It is fragrant. I see that some sites deem it an " apricot pink ". The color blends well with almost any other....

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus