SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jesslake

Silestone Charcoal Soapstone suede finish

jesslake
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi,

After only 6 months I am utterly heartbroken over how much I hate our soapstone counters. They looked so beautiful...for about a nanosecond. I thought I knew what I was getting into - in a previous house I put in oiled cherry butcher block and cut directly on it and looooved the patina that evolved - but this chipping and scratching is out of control. I can deal with the scratches that blend together and gradually disappear but every day there is a new pit (often up to 1.5 cms!) out of an edge or even right smack in the middle of the counter. To top it all off, two white veines have cracked open and had to be repaired which, in one case, required removing the entire piece to glue back together off site. I really need to love my kitchen so I've decided to replace the counters.

Sorry...that's not what this post was supposed to be about. For the replacement, I'm considering Silestone Charcoal Soapstone in the suede finish. I think this is fairly new maybe? I didn't come across it in my original shopping, though admittedly then I was snobby towards granite and quartz so didn't look too closely. Has anyone used this and how do you like it? Pros/cons?

TIA!

Comments (57)