SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
headmotty

From pot to ground questions

headmotty
6 years ago

Just got two #3 size hydrangeas (Nikko Blue and Glowing Embers) and want to get them in the ground before too cold. Don't have any special knowledge of hydrangeas, so have a couple questions. But first I'm assuming that they are just starting to head into dormancy, as they are starting to drop leaves, and I'm assuming this is a good time (northern Virginia) to put in ground.

When I dig the hole, should I put anything in the hole/amend the soil before backfilling? I see advice to do so (e.g., compost), but also am aware of opinions that if you make the soil in the hole better than the surrounding native soil, the roots will tend to stay in the hole and not branch out.

Should I break up the root ball at all, or just leave as is before dropping into the hole?

Will they be ok this first winter out in the open, or will I really need to cover them with leaves or something? Winters are typically not too severe in northern Virginia, but some years can have short stretches of subfreezing weather, followed by daytime temps above freezing, but not warm enough to thaw the ground, so the ground can stay frozen for quite a while.

Anything else that anyone can add to make this a success would be appreciated. I'd hate for spring to roll around and find out they didn't make it through the winter.

Comments (2)