SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meredith_morgan60

Drying outer leaves of new bromeliad (my first)

Meredith Morgan
6 years ago

Hi there! I recently got this rare bromeliad a couple months ago, and the outer leaves are dying back. It starts to dry at the tips and then recedes to the base. I have noticed this kind of behavior with new plants, but they always come back with baby plants from the base. However, this is my first bromeliad plant, so I'm not sure of their habits. It looks like a problem. The first leaf to go already had a bend in it when I brought it home from the nursery, so I assumed that was why it died. The others have shown some light tan, thin, dry spots at the apex of the leaves before the whole leaf dried. Could this be a sunburn? Or is this a sign of root rot? He lives in a West facing window in my bathroom, with window film that diffuses the light, so it's not harsh direct. If it helps, I also have a staghorn fern in this window that is extremely happy and growing like crazy. Let me know what I'm doing wrong before its too late! Thanks in advance! -Meredith

Medium: original nursery soil mix with added bark chips when I got it home.

Container: plastic nursery pot (with holes) inside glazed ceramic cache pot (no holes). The roots of the plant fill less than the top half of the container. I can easily pick the top half up off of the bottom half of soil.

Water: consistent high water, I don't let it get dry between waterings (per nursery instructions, though this seems odd for any plant). Regular tap water.

Light: west facing window with window film to diffuse light.

Humidity: the room gets very humid 1-2 times a day.

Temperature: 73-78 degrees indoors

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH