SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ozziecookie

Guidance re: replacing sliding patio doors

ozziecookie
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello, We are replacing 7 (3 panel) sets of sliding glass doors and I would like to educate myself as much as possible before speaking with sales reps and installers. I would like suggestions about brand and materials and about who to hire and how to hire installers. We live in the Atlanta area. We have to replace the old doors because their wood frames are rotting after more than 40 years. The wood clad option sounds good because then the exterior is easier to maintain. But, I am open to other views! Is there a reason to go with all fiberglass/aluminum instead of wood in terms of function? Also, there are some "technical" things I have read here that make me worry that I won't ask all the right questions when choosing a brand or material. For example, there was a comment that "anderson either uses vinyl or a roll form aluminum that conducts moisture to the interior thereby promoting rot" (is this an issue?)... and another said that glass should contain argon (are there different choices on glass?). Thank you for any guidance!

Comments (12)