SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrie_andrewes

Need to transplant crabapple tree this weekend

Carebear3117
6 years ago

I need to transplant my gladiator crabapple (to the left of the arbor) that was planted last summer as I have built an arbor and now the tree is too close. The tree gets sun after 11:30 am in the summer but because of the fence/2-story houses) the lower portion of the tree is shaded most of the time. Since my yard is so tiny I only have two spots the tree can go. Both spots have their problems. 1) I can move the tree over 6 feet to the left from where it is now. It will still get sun but have some slight shading especially later in the season as the sun goes lower in the sky. The area is also quite moist as my yard drains that direction. The soil is heavy clay which I plant to amend the whole bed next spring. I also plan to plant the tree in a slightly raised mound to aid in drainage. 2) I can move the tree closer to the deck but it will be shaded until 12:00 pm and the area also receives some of my drainage water. There is landscape fabric and rock under the deck and my patio has compacted road crush under it. It seems neither spot would be ideal for this tree but I already have it and it needs to be moved. Where do you think would be best for the tree? Please excuse my messy yard!

Comment