SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roseanna_prkr

Help! Sheer blinds (Pirouette), wood blinds, or shutters??

Roseanna Prkr
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I absolutely can't decide between sheer blinds, wood blinds, or shutters for my living and dining rooms, which are both painted Ben Moore's Gray Owl walls and White Dove trim. My decor is eclectic mid-century modern. I prefer minimalist window treatments. I know I can add curtains to my options, but I'd rather not. I don't want roman shades, roller shades, or woven woods because I want a single window treatment that has whole-window adjustable privacy and lighting, which the aforementioned do not.

I think I'm leaning towards wood blinds or Pirouettes, but I'd love to hear your recommendations. I need help deciding!

Windows measurements: Street (Front) Facing (south-facing -- lots of direct afternoon sun): 55" tall x 74" wide, 55" tall x 50" wide Side Facing (east-facing): 46" tall x 50" wide All windows are clearly visible in both dining and living rooms so I think all 3 windows should have same treatments (?). Both rooms are small and have 8' walls.

Pros and Cons

Hunter Douglas Pirouette

Cons:

1. The only color that works well and is most flexible is white. White sheer blinds, however, look drab gray in low lighting so they look HIDEOUS at dusk and at night. I know because I currently have white Silhouettes. I've thought of adding curtains to Silhouettes but I would need to close them in low light to not see the drab gray.

2. Shades of blue or gray with blue or blue/green undertones look great but are too limiting. Neutral gray looks dirty. Yellow undertones do not work either. I plan on buying a navy blue velvet sofa in the near future but I don't want my window treatments dictating my choice if I want to change sofa or wall color in the future.

3. Expensive.

4. Outside mount only, so open vanes would not look as clean as inside mount.

Pros:

1. I think white Pirouettes *might* off-set the drabness of white (but not sure) because they have a nice fabric texture and faux hobbling

2. I love that the vanes look like shutters from the outside.

3. LOVE that I can control degree of privacy and light AND attached sheer blurs views to the inside of house.

4. They're elegant looking.

5. Easy to clean. My Silhouettes stayed remarkably clean for 10 years with occasional vacuuming!

White Wood Composite 2" Horizontal Blinds

Cons:

1. If I use wood blinds, I think I *might* need to add curtains because the windows might look "unfinished." One window is on CONCRETE wall so putting up curtain (rod) is a challenge but not impossible.

2. I don't like the rout holes because they let in unfiltered light. Rout-less is not an option

3. There is no privacy sheer to blur views to the inside when slats are open

4. Outside mount only.

Pros:

1. Inexpensive.

2. LOVE that I can control degree of privacy and light

3. The white blinds stand up better to low light. They don't look as drab as white sheer blinds. They look like the same as wood trim on windows and baseboards.

4. I have wood blinds on all other house windows and LOVE them.

5. Easy to clean

White Shutters

Cons:

1. They need to be outside mounted so they would look heavy and thick (I think)

2. The framing reduces window size and incoming light.

3. They're expensive.

4. No sheers to blur views to the inside when in open position

Pros:

1. Add value to house

2. Adjustable privacy and light.

3. I do like the how they look, but I don't think they fit my decor.

4. Blend well with wood blinds

5. Easy to clean

Comment (1)