SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plan2remodel

Need help with windows in hallway bathroom (Updated)

plan2remodel
6 years ago
last modified: 7 months ago

UPDATE: 5 years have passed, and I am finally ready to remodel this bathroom. I am keeping the bathroom window opening the same size, shape, and location. I am keeping the same footprint for the bathroom renovation, swapping tub/shower for a curbed stand-alone shower and reducing the partition to a pony wall.

I will be changing the window from a narrow slider to a double-hung window. I considered a casement window, but it will look out of place on the exterior of the home.

For the double-hung window, should it be clear? opaque? or clear on top and opaque on the bottom?

Clear will let in more light. Privacy is needed only on the bottom half. If clear on top and bottom, I will need to add a shade, at least for the bottom half, but this gives more flexibility. Will it look weird to have the top clear and the bottom opaque?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a window over the toilet in the second floor hallway bathroom that I plan to remodel next year. I need to repair the exterior siding on this side of the house, so will be an opportunity to replace this window with a different size / shape and maybe add a second window on the same wall.

I welcome suggestions on positioning, style, and shape of replacement window, suggestions about adding a second window in the shower, and possibility of adding a fixed window in the wall between the toilet and shower.

The existing window (faces west) is a slider, 21" wide and 41" high. The bottom of the window is 41" off the floor. The ceiling is about 8 feet high. The window "rocks" when opened because it is too narrow for a slider. It is not centered on the wall, nor is it centered over the toilet. The centerline of the toilet is 15" away from the wall on the RHS and 18" away from the wall separating the toilet from the tub / shower combo.

I plan to replace the tub / shower combo (30" wide) with a walk-in shower (36" wide). I plan to keep a full wall between the toilet and shower to allow for a frameless shower enclosure, but I plan to move the wall a few inches away from the toilet, to increase the existing toilet space from 33" to at least 36" wide, possibly 40" wide, depending on length of shower.

I'm planning to center the replacement window over the toilet. I'm thinking about a double-hung window, but may consider an awning or casement window. If I add a second window in the shower, I think it would look best, from the exterior of the house, if the two windows were same size and shape.

Also, I'm thinking about adding a fixed window in the wall between the toilet and shower to make the toilet space feel more spacious, while still allowing for a frameless shower enclosure.

"Before" pictures attached. Second photo is view from window. Followed by "inspiration" photo from Houzz.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County