SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Questions About Preparing Ground For Iris

I am getting ready to prepare ground for Iris since my iris have stopped blooming well. One bed never really bloomed well. I think they are too shady where they are. Trees have grown bigger and all that. I am thinking that I will bring in two yards of garden soil and dump it down in an area that gets light and some shade but it gets lots of light in September unfortunately when it is hot, but it gets light in spring. It is flat there and the water comes down from the hill above. I choose this sight because of the water and the soil is a little deeper. I could push it back a bit and get more shade That would come in the afternoon and morning but still a noonday light..

MY question, is how do you prepare for iris? What do you look for in siting? What amendments and minerals do you include. I was thinking of including bonemeal for root development. Would you also include decomposed granite and compost? My original soil is caliche/limestone base with a cedar duff over it. "Hill Country cr@p". Could you mention the type of soil you have so I can make adjustments in using your advise.

I DID FIND THIS LINK from Tx Agrilife

I also found this video from the New Mexico (Roswell area). They mentioned clay. But they mentioned the amendments Alafa pellets, sand, humus, manure, cotton bur compost and gypsum....no bonemeal

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living