SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Breville Sous Chef Peel and Dice processor-Best thing in my kitchen!

Peke
6 years ago

I just bought the new Breville Sous Chef Peel and Dice that really does peel potatoes and dice them. This is now the favorite thing in my kitchen. It does everything a mixer does except for large amounts of heavy bread dough. I am planning on buying an Ankarsrum mixer for bread dough mixing though.

The Breville states that it peels round potatoes, but I only had oblong russet potatoes. It peeled 6 potatoes in 25 seconds. All I had to do was remove any eyes or missed spots that were in a crevice of the potato. It took about a minute to wash them and remove eyes and leftover skins. It didn't waste any of the potatoes. The peels were so thin you could see through them. A hand held peeler certainly wastes a huge amount compared to this food processor. I am absolutely in love with this appliance. My daughter put a video of peeling the potatoes on her Facebook foodie group. The next time I grocery shopped I bought Yukon Gold round-ish potatoes. It took 15 seconds to peel them.

I also diced potatoes and carrots. They were diced into 12 mm perfect cubes which is less than a half inch cube (0.47244094 inch cube). To dice the six potatoes took 1 second per potato! It also has an adjustable slicer. The slicer adjusts from 0.3 mm (0.01181102 inch) to 8 mm (0.31496063 inch) with 24 settings total. It took 2 seconds to slice a large baking potato. It has a julienne disc and a french fry disc. I haven't used the julienne disc, but the french fry disc took 1 second to cut 1 potato into french fries.

It has a smaller inside bowl for egg whites and other small amounts. The small inside bowl is removed for larger jobs like slicing, peeling, and dicing. It comes with a huge box of attachments that DO NOT cost extra. It also has a large S blade, a mini S blade, a dough blade, a shredding blade and a whisking/emulsion disc. All of the attachments come in a large plastic box which almost takes up as much room as the food processor!

This thing cuts so fast I didn't even use the ON button. I only used the pulse button to dice, slice and peel. I made a yeast roll dough using the on button. I can see that heavy doughs would not be good in it, plus there is only 1 speed. It does come with a pizza dough recipe so it must do pizza dough fairly well. I haven't tried it yet.

Today I am going to see how well it can grind beef into hamburger meat.

Comments (55)

• Peke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am so glad you asked that question. I looked to see if Sur la Table still have them. They now have a bonus gift worth 129.00. I sent them an email asking if I get one. I would have never known about it.

LIMITED TIME.

Bonus dicing kit 8mm (0.315 ") and 16 mm (0.630"). $129.00 value.

It comes with a 12 mm dicing blade (0.472).

I have decided that since I hit 60, that I have deserved this time saver in the kitchen.

• Peke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

yay! All I had to do was register my Breville so I could get the dicing kit.

• Related Discussions

Food processor - what to look for?

Q

Comments (26)
    I have had a food process for 35 years or more. So, I have used it from the time I had babies to the present time when my nest consists of my husband, his 85 year old mother, and me. When I was cooking big meals, the time saved chopping onions, celery, etc. was far more than the time spent washing the food processor, bowl, lid, and blades. (Yes, you can put all those things in the dishwasher, but boy do they ever fill up the top of the dishwasher fast.) Now, not so much. I can get out a paring knife or chef's knife and chop my one onion, one stalk of celery, and wash that knife in very little more time than it takes to put the processor together, much less wash and dry it all. That being said, when I am doing big cooking, like at the holidays, I am very glad to still have a food processor. On those days, when I am chopping pounds of onions and whole stalks of celery, pounds of nuts, etc., it's more than worth having. I have let the blender go by the wayside over the years. The food processor does everything it can do and more. I do like my little immersion blender from time to time. I do not use my FP for making bread. I have a Zoji bread machine for that, and I will never want to be without that. I make pie crust by hand with a steel pastry cutter. It makes a bit bigger mess, but the quality of the crust is far better than any I was ever able to make in the FP. I have a Victorio Food Mill, so I don't use my Food Processor in canning, except if I am making relishes with onions and garlic. I probably don't even need to use it then, but I don't want the allium smells in the Victorio's parts. I confess that I have grown lazy and buy most cheese already shredded now. But when I was cooking for a crowd, I used my FP shredder blade a lot. It saves money and time without a doubt. I have had Cuisinart, KitchenAid, and an inexpensive one that came from WalMart years ago. You know what? They have all performed basically the same, though the inexpensive one was louder. The Cuisinart and Kitchen Aid lasted longer, but probably not enough to justify the extra expense. Nevertheless, I have a KitchenAid right now and I really do like it. I would hate to be without, but the day may come when I need the counter space more. Our needs do change as time passes.
    ...See More

x-post KA pro-line food processor. Anyone own this?

Q

Comments (5)
    Well, I checked and they never tested the model you are considering. The most expensive currently available model is the Breville Sous Chef at 399.99. They liked that except for the fact that it chopped so fast that it was hard to stop in time when dicing food and they sometimes got mush. They liked a discontinued model of Kitchenaid ((the old 12 cup processor) the best of any they tested. Of current models thay liked the Cuisenart Custom 14 cup best. But it didn't handle dough as well as some and had a short feed tube. The latest Kitchenaid they evaluated was the 299.95 13 Cup with ExactSlice system. It was slow at most tasks and hard to clean up. Sorry, but that's all the help I have.
    ...See More

Can food processors really dice veggies?

Q

Comments (23)
    You know, I spent a lot of money on a Cuisinart food processor- its an 11 cup, so decent capacity. I'm a bachelor, so when I cook, I make REALLY BIG batches, and it entails A LOT of veg prep. I typically make 10-11 quart batches of soup, chili, etc. At first, I was severely disappointed with the peppers/onion chopping. I mistakenly used the S- blade for things I shouldn't. Somebody on this site said that "it takes practice". So true. I am now chopping with my food processor with decent results; I would dare say almost presentable where it matters. I basically use the disc (round) slicing blade (not the shredding blade), and I sort of crowd the small round feed tube on top of the lid to keep the vegetables together and unable to move around. For example, I put half a small bell pepper cut into four pieces plus half of the top, pushed it down quickly, and got a nice chop. So, it's possible to cut down (haha) prep time with decent results. If it works, I am attaching a pic of a chop I just did. I am making chicken, peppers, onion, and black beans with cilantro lime rice (basically Chipotle at home). YUM! :) So yes, food processor is your friend. Happy cooking all!
    ...See More

Food Processor

Q

Comments (19)
    I have the same experience as Olychick regarding Cusinart made after 2005. Bought a Cusinart food processor after 2005 and it broke within 3 months while making pesto. Agree with what Olychick wrote: "I don't remember the Model #. It lasted until about 2007 or so. The shaft finally gave way or something...I can't really remember but it wasn't repairable. I bought a new one, also the largest available...it lasted a couple of years of very light use....I never make bread anymore, but still chop/slice/grate everything in it or in my mini. It quit working and I sent it in for warranty repairs which took 3 months or some gawd-awful length of time. Got it back, it lasted less than a year. From Straw: I still have my KitchenAid heavy-duty food processor for 15 years, works great in grinding meat. Kneading bread didn't work though. I need to shop for a smaller one to grind a smaller amount of meat or pesto, with less cleaning.
    ...See More
  • plllog
    6 years ago

Dang! I want it! Thank-you!

• plllog
    6 years ago

Okay, I've ordered mine. :) Thank-you so much, Psyohe! So good to hear that you got the offer so easily even though it came after you bought yours. I was thinking that they'd come out with other dice sizes, but having them come at once is much better. :) I can retire the poor old dead FP. :) And this one dices!!!!

Giddy.

I'm actually giddy about a food processor. :)

• Peke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I looked at My Account to see my order, and the free dicing kit was on there. I guess it was added when I ordered, but it wasn't on the item webpage when I first looked at it. Sur la Table must have forgotten to put it on their webpage. Breville is doing the offer, but they don't show it on their webpage either. Go to dicingkit.brevilleusa.com to order your free kit and register. When you get your unit, turn the base upside down. Look for the label. Breville wants a Batch Code, but it doesn't actually say "batch code" on the label. Look for a 4 digit number on the middle of the label.

https://www.surlatable.com/images/pdfs/Breville_Dicing_Kit.pdf

Wait until you see the electrical plug. Such a great idea!

I didn't notice the directions saying the long cord stores inside the base, but it does. I just pushed it in, and it stayed. I don't know if I was supposed to or not, but it fit. I will ask Breville.

I put 3 processors in the trash! Each one had something wrong. 1 only grated/sliced because my chopping blade was losing pieces of plastic. Not good. 2 only chopped because the slicing/grating blades were broken. (1 extra small processor and 1 large.)

I thought I would always need a small processor for small jobs, but I don't miss my little one. The Breville is very heavy, and large, but it is a breeze to clean. I haven't found any places where the food gets stuck either on the plastic bowl or the blades.

I don't know where I am going to put another box of blades!

• Peke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The peeling aspect is my favorite part!

• Peke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This comment was on the previous mdel.

"Hideaway cord tucks up inside the base to keep countertops clutter free."

On the new version it just says...

"Cord storage feature keeps the countertop tidy".

• plllog
    6 years ago

Thanks for all the further info! I did see the info about the dicing kit and even the cord storage on the SLT site, but I appreciate all the extra info, and I'm sure others do too. I even opened the registration page. :)

My feeling is it's probably not possible to make a device meant for peeling potatoes to do celery roots, but I imagine even there, once one has pared off the fur, the machine might clean it up. :) I'm thinking mostly, however, of the potential of going into a feast not exhausted from dicing!

• Kristin S
    6 years ago

If it could peel a butternut squash for me, I'd probably just order it. I hate that job (but love butternut squash soup) enough to throw sensible, cautious budgeting to the wind. I suspect that's beyond it's capabilities, though.

• plllog
    6 years ago

I doubt the butternut, but you'd still have to cut it up anyway, which is the hard part.

• Kristin S
    6 years ago

Mostly I just want to not end the endeavor with bright orange hands. :-)

• Peke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LOL I know it peels better with more round vegies. So carrots have to cut into chunks to peel. It would peel the entire carrot chunk not just the outer peel. It would waste some of the cut part that doesn't need peeled. I would guess it could peel the squash, but some would be wasted. A kiwi is roundish...I wonder if it will peel a kiwi. I need to go to the store to get produce.

• plllog
    6 years ago

Kristin, the hands part is easy. Go to a catering or restaurant supply store and get a big box of disposable food service gloves. I have both the clear baggie type, which is great for messy things when you want to pop the gloves on and off, and the latex ones (or faux latex? Food safe anyway, and none of my people have latex allergies) for things like mixing meatballs with one's hands. The latter kind can be washed on your hands while you're working if you're not ready to take them off. Yeah, they help contain cross contamination, but they also keep your hands from acquiring nasty colors and smells, and keep them warm, too (I hate handling all that cold barehanded). I don't go through enough to feel wasteful.

Psyohe, I just picked up a couple of bags of round potatoes (golds and russets). The small ones I usually avoid as much as possible if they're going to need peeling. I see latke making in my near future!

• Peke
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Peeling 7 potatoes.

Making french fries. Short french fries since the potatoes are almost round.

• Peke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Check amazon for food quality gloves too.

• Kristin S
    6 years ago

Thanks to you both for the suggestion - I don't know why I never thought of that!

• plllog
    6 years ago

You're welcome. You probably didn't think of it because there's so much information in the world, we tend to categorize it as given. A baseball mitt is right or left handed, fielder's, first baseman's or catcher's, natural or dyed leather, and we don't think of a catcher's mitt as a great holder for a bowling ball. Who uses a baseball mitt while bowling?

Psyohe, thanks for the additional pictures! That peeling thing is incredible! It looks like it works a lot like commercial peelers, using abrasion, right? So cool.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Thanks for the potato pics, psyohe. Very helpful. Plllog, I hope you'll report on how you like yours. I'd love to get one of these for my SIL, who has developed a depressing tendency to buy mashed potatoes in a tub.

• plllog
    6 years ago

Bwwaaaahhhaaahaaaahhaaaa!

Such a sister-in-law gift. :) I don't actually make mashed potatoes...but the first part of the Andrew Zimmern best ever latkes is basically making mashed potatoes, and I will be doing that soon... :D

If you wanted to be more pointed (and spend less) you could get her theCooking Forum approved ricer. It really is that good, and dead easy to use. I will never be won over to the grated in the FP is fine school of mashed potatoes, but I used the ricer last year on the latkes and it's genius. :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

I can just imagine trying to get her to use a ricer! I was thinking about peeling more than anything, hoping that if she had a machine to peel and dice she might be able to be persuaded away from the potatoes of penance.

• plllog
    6 years ago

ROTFL!! Potatoes of Penance! Of course I didn't really know you could buy mashed potatoes in a tub, but then I figured it must come from a deli or hot counter or something. :) Wouldn't potato flakes better? I use those for cooking, the ones that are just dehydrated potatoes. Nutritionally useless, but then one should leave the skins on if one wants nutrition. But the point of mashed potatoes is creaminess and the nutritious bits are in the way. :) I don't often make mashed potatoes because I'm not a big potato fan altogether, but it's not hard. Especially with the CF approved ricer. :) I've done it with an old style potato masher, still not hard. And I don't grease them up, which makes them even easier to mash. I don't think she'd use the peeling machine. The peels slide off of cooked potatoes, anyway, and she'd have to wash the machine. Much more work than a disposable tub. Maybe you should just mutter "Potatoes of Penance" in her hearing...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Alas, taters-in-a-tub come from the so-called "fresh" section. You know, the one with the "fresh" pasta that has a half-life of about five years in its preservative-gas-filled coffin. She likes the potatoes because if you happen to lose them in the fridge somewhere, it doesn't really matter how long they hide back there--they're just the same when you nuke them as if you bought them yesterday.

And no, I can't say anything. I've often tried offering to do the cooking when I'm over there, but she feels nobody should be subjected to such hard labor.

• plllog
    6 years ago

LOL! No, I don't know about that "fresh" section. I do go into major chain groceries for papergoods, American cheese, diet soda and ketchup. :) I've never lingered to see such things.

If your SIL won't even let you do all the work, a fancy machine isn't going to tempt her, I don't think, unless she has a yen for robots. :)

I appreciate the desire. :)

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Ugh, I have an almost brand new Magimix ... it does not peel potatoes! This is what I get for buying a new FP when I didn't actually need one and then something comes along that I actually need- need in that spoiled first world sense of course. I had no idea this was possible.

• Kristin S
    6 years ago

Perhaps you could introduce her to Trader Joe’s frozen mashed potatoes, which are mostly real food. My husband is a mashed potato fan and I’m not, so this is our usual compromise...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Thanks, Kristin S. I don't know if they have a TJ's near them, but it's a good idea.

• Peke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've seen the fresh and frozen ones too. I always say, "who buys these?" Now I know!

Pillog...did you get it yet?

• plllog
    6 years ago

It came today (!!!) but so far I've only gotten it out of the shipping brown box. It will wait for help. I don't want to wreck it, or me, trying to get the styro out of the display box by myself. I'll keep you posted. :)

• Peke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well I found out that cucumbers CAN be peeled in it, but I made a bunch of 2" cucumber balls. Not what I was aiming for. They also looked a little beat up. Well, duh! I did beat them up.

Pillog, Are we there yet?

• plllog
    6 years ago

Sorry! I keep meaning to post and then forget when I'm sitting at my desk. Every attachment has been washed and, just because I had to play, I peeled and diced four small potatoes, which became hash. They were supposed to become (with many of their fellows) latkes, but I just don't have time. Something I knew, and confirmed, is that I don't like diced potatoes for hash. Too many straight lines! Which is immaterial.

WOW!!!!!!!

Better than you said. SOOO well designed, down to the labelling of the storage box. The only thing is that it doesn't have a rasp blade, so I have to keep the old, dying Cuisinart for parmesan. I haven't found a listing for extra blades, but I'll call them when I have a chance... !!!! BUT IT DICES!!!!!! And does just about everything else. Including that variable slicer which is genius.

I was raving about it to someone I work with and she was giving me the pat pat kind of answers usually reserved for lunatics and overtired toddlers. :)

• Peke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Whew!! So glad you like it.....at that price no less. I would feel awful if you hated it.

I used the smallest grater for Parmesano Reggiano and did well. Not powder fine though. Does a rasp blade make it powder fine?

Maybe your co-worker doesn't cook much. My husband says it takes longer to set it up and wash it than it takes to peel and dice potatoes. It does, but not if you count the time to peel by hand and dice by hand. It is so fast to turn cubed potatoes ready to make mashed potatoes.

I have never made latkes, but they sound good.

Have you received your extra dicing blades? I have not.

Let me know if you use it for dough. I used it to mix a cake batter the other day.

• Peke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Cucumber balls! Did not work.

• Peke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The pile on the left was machine diced. The one on the right was diced by hand. This was a Roma tomato which was not very form.

I have not sliced any tomatoes yet since no one eats them sliced.

• plllog
    6 years ago

Cool! Thanks for the comparison shot. :)

I've barely cooked all week, so no, I haven't tried anything. Yes, the rasp blade does the powder fine parm. There are several cheeses I do up that way. I didn't turn up a listing for buying the extra dicing kits (no, I haven't heard a peep on them yet, but figure they may ship them in truck container loads so it may take awhile). That makes me think there may be an accessories repository somewhere which I haven't found yet. If I remember, I'll call the CS line and see if they actually have a rasp somewhere. I don't make paying for it. :)

I'm sorry you were concerned. I'd never blame your enthusiasm for it if I didn't like it, but I've been wanting an automatic dicer for a decade! And this works! Easily and well. I'm ever so thankful that you told me about it!

Latkes were never really my thing until a couple of years ago when circumstances made them a good solution to entertaining difficulties. Everybody loved them, and they're easy to make ahead and freeze. I use big flat containers and put them in layers separated by parchment paper. The whole layer can slide onto a baking sheet for rewarming. I also learned that just about anything can be a latke. Add some eggs and starch and make a pattycake in your hands and it'll stick together well enough to pan fry.

Best ever potato latke recipe ever: Andrew Zimmern Latke Killer

• Kim G
    6 years ago

Pillog - to fine grate parm - put your knife blade in the bowl and start - drop a block of parm down the chute and let the knife blade chop to fine grain. It works great for parm and I would assume any hard cheese. Saw this on my DVR when I got my current cuisinart. Use it this way to chop a large quantity of garlic as well. It bounces around for while but settles down. Hope it works for you.

• plllog
    6 years ago

Kim, thanks for the suggestion but that's still too coarse. What I want is fluffy powder and I don't know any way to get it without a rasp grater (one of which came with my Cuisinart).

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Best ever potato latke recipe ever: Andrew Zimmern Latke Killer

I prefer all my potatoes to be grated. Makes for crunchier latkes.

The great thing about making them ahead and then baking them is it helps to remove excess oil.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

psyohe, now I will be lusting after the Breville Peel and Dice. And I won't be able to to convince DH I need one for two reasons. 1. We only eat home about 2x a week and 2. When our FP died last year, I got the large Cuisanart. Oh well.

• plllog
    6 years ago

Cpartist. I only ever made them from all grated until I tried the Zimmern Killer Latkes. They're that good. Total PITA, but really really good. :)

Do you have a kid, nephew, kid of friend who really needs a new large Cuisinart and can't afford one? You could be a fairy godmother. :)

Today I had to make a decent dinner after an event I had to get up too early before, having not been to the grocery store. Sandwiches wasn't an option and even my sandwich supplies were dwindling. So I said I'd make a quiche. No biggie right? But it was sticky out and I had that headache that comes from too little sleep and I was cranky. I didn't want to make pastry. I didn't want to eat pastry. And what I did have was a few cups of extra cooked adzuki beans. Frijoles refritos, yes? I would have been happy with rice and beans but had to make a quiche.

BEAN CRUST! New toy!!! If I were frying them, I'd have squished them in the pan. Instead, into the Peel and Dice with the regular FP blade, a couple tablespoons of butter and a similar volume of Jarlsburg, some S&P and garlic pepper because my pepper grinder ran out of peppercorns and I was too cranky to refill it. Processed to a creamy paste like pastry, smushed into glass pie plate (Anchor, which has more vertical sides like a tart) and blind baked until firm and dry to the touch. N.B.--I was making a toothsome filled quiche, rather than mostly custard, but this would be a better crust if spread very thin and crisped up hard. It served fine, crusty on the bottom, but still had a bean paste texture inside.

Okay, I had some sliced mushrooms, but I need to chop an onion. Basic, right? But the FP was right there just rinsed (not washed and put away). I wanted rough chop but wasn't going to get out the dicing kit for one onion and the blade would more mince than chop. Julienne would be fine! So on goes the julienne blade and PHWHOOM!! Instant onion into frying pan.

Cheese. Nothing to go on quiche. Not enough Jarlsburg to consider even before I put some in the beans. Blocks of Emmenthaller in the freezer. Zapped one for a minute on defrost and put it on the stone to warm up while I was working. Then into the FP P&D with the large side of the grater. PHWHOOM!! Instant grated cheese, no wadding up in the crease or leaving half on top. There were a few small squidges but nothing that needed hand grating.

So, then I'm thinking, why get out a mixing bowl and whisk to clean up when there's a whipping tool? There are no instructions in the book (or else very careful poring over it wasn't adequate to find them), so I just put it on and cracked an egg onto it. and watched it slide down the side and slither underneath. It wasn't until later when I was washing it (I'd only done the towel dry before) that I noticed it has two ramps on the edges for scooping up that which needs to be whipped, I assume. I'll look it up online later. Meantime, I added the milk and herbs and put the knife back in. It made beautiful custard.

So. Thoughts. I love that there's a seal in the cover. I love how easy it is to get the cover and bowl on and off. I LOVE the tall spindle that lets you grab it without sticking your hand down into the food. I LOVE the gear spindle that's part of the bowl so there's no center hole for food or the wash water to run down. I love how easy to clean the disks are (I never have room in the DW so washed up by hand). I don't so much love the four piece pusher that can't go in the dishwasher, but I accept it. :) I LOVE the timer, which you can set to count down and turn off, or that shows you how long you've been processing (counting up). I LOVE the pour spout! One finger on the spindle top and the knife stayed securely in place (might have done so anyway, but I put the finger to be sure) and I was able to pour the custard into the filled crust with no issues whatsoever. Given the handle that is part of the locking mechanism of the bowl, the spout pours just like a measuring cup. I don't love the lack of explanation about the whipping disk but at least it has one. :) I've never heard of one before. I don't love that I can't open the top of the accessory box in the drawer, but I do love that it's so light and easy to take out to use, at the same time giving access to the dicing and peeling kit.

I think the loves have it. :) And even with the amount of washing up, because I could do so many things, and it rinses so easily between tasks, it actually helped and made the prep easier. I'm used to the FP being only for large projects because it was such a pain to clean.

But I'm still tired so that's all for today.

• Peke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Which grocery aisle would I find Matzo Meal? I am assuming you cook the latkes fully before freezing.

I swear I could smell the quiche baking as you described it!

I wonder how the Julienne blade would do for latkes...I love the french fry blade. I mix olive oil, smoked paprika, seasoning salt, and garlic powder with the fries and bake them.

Have you tried using the FP for fine grating the Parmesan then using a blender to make it even finer. Mine works well for turning granulated sugar into powdered sugar. Maybe it will work for Parmesan. I know I have some recipes that call for very fine Parmesan too.

I love that the Peel and Dice has very little wasted product. Even softer cheese is mostly grated up. Potatoes and carrots have just a small piece left on top of the blade if any. Not one time has anything leaked out of the FP like my old ones. I also love that I can either use the handle grip, or I can slip my hand under the handle and lay my hand flat against the bowl when I need to scrape something heavy out of it. I wish the dicing section was a drawer instead of a stacked box though.

I still use it 3-4 times a week so it is well worth the money. Plus, my husband was the last to use my old food processor and the plastic part of the blade started disintegrating. HE BROKE IT!!! LOL

In the manual on page 9 letter T, is a typo for the previous Breville. It had a quad blade and they forgot to change the manual.,

I just found the directions on soft cheeses with says to partially freeze until firm. That should help a lot.

I just found the following comment on Sur La Table's website regarding the extra dicing blades. "To receive the bonus Dicing Kit (with the 8mm and 16mm dicing blades) you must first register your Sous Chef 16 Cup Peel & Dice on Breville’s website (you’ll need the serial number on the bottom of the base). Then, call Breville! Registration alone will not enter an order for the free Dicing Kit, the order must be placed with Breville.

I could not find anything on Breville’s site that mentioned you will receive the Dicing Kit upon registration. After registering, I expected to receive an email confirmation that the appliance was registered and I would receive my Dicing Kit, but I didn’t receive one. I called 2 weeks after registering my Sous Chef 16 Peel and Dice to confirm, the Breville representative confirmed my registration and helped place an order for the free Dicing Kit, mentioning “it was a good thing you called, so we could put the order in”...Dicing kit will be available early in December and offer expires 1/18/2018.

Also it says next year the dicing and peeling blades will be available to purchase for the previous model. But there are more differences between the 2 models than just the dicing and peeling blades.

I spent four hours today looking for a video on the whisk attachment. Nothing online, so I sent an email to Breville.

Now, I can't wait until I buy the newest Ankarsrum mixer. I am hoping for a sale on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. It is excellent for mixing dough.

• plllog
    6 years ago

Thank-you for the new info about the dicing kits! I almost called them because there wasn't any kind of notice on the site, but got distracted and figured it was fine.

Matzah meal is with the other kosher or Jewish foods, but you don't need it. Just put some matzah in the FP. :) Actually, it's probably better to use matzah meal. I don't know if matzah scratches the FP bowl, but it could. Matzah meal is bread crumbs, and it will get stale eventually.

I was sick and not cooking for awhile, so really haven't done much more with the FP. Re the parm thing, I'm sure there's probably a patch system that can sort of half replicate what I want with the parm, but I have the old Cuisinart which does it perfectly, and if that means the college girl doesn't get to inherit the FP, well too bad. She's young. :)

Thanks for the other info as well. I'm considering giving these as wedding presents. :)

• Peke
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update: Two or three times so far, I could not use the Breville because an error message kept the FP from starting. It said to insert the food pushers.....they were in already. I contacted the company, and they said they would replace it. I did not have to replace it because it hasn't happened again. I now see a tiny piece of potato peel inside the clear part of the bow's handle. How did it get in there?

I still have not received the free, extra dicing blades, but Breville keeps sending me emails which state that they will be sent as soon as they are made. I think there must be a lot of food processors being made so they haven't made the accessories.

I bought the Ankarsrum mixer and boy, does it have a learning curve. Whips potatoes too much if you don't stand over it. I am used to hand held mixers or my MIL's old stand mixer. Kneads bread and pizza dough like a dream, but I am still learning which attachment to use for various recipes. Instructions are not good, but I have found some videos on Youtube. I have used it for making sausage and grinding up chicken and roasts for ground meat. I will never use my old metal, hand cranking grinder again.

• plllog
    5 years ago

My dicing kits came today! Yipee!!! Finally!

They have a storage box matching the FP's storage box. Good that it isn't another tray for underneath, because it would be too tall to fit in the kitchen. This new box puts the wheels on end, and each has its disk and the distribution blade thingy all together, so conserving space, and the grid cleaners in the middle. One of the dicing wheels is muted red and the other is muted green (muted is nice so they're not garish), which makes it easy to tell apart.

In the shipping carton with a short letter is also a new lid for the FP (and a warning in the letter not to toss out your pusher assembly). I don't know, but my guess is that the long delay was in the redesign and production of the new lids, which are supposed to work a lot better with the dicing kit. You're supposed to recycle the old one, but I think I'll just mark mine and keep it as a spare for use with the regular attachments. Might save some washing in the middle of a bunch of processing tasks.

just in time for the holidays! I wasn't feeling excited about cooking for company, but now I want to use my new toys. ;)

Psyohe, have you gotten yours yet? Or at least the e-mail that it was finally coming? I got the latter after I finally called them a couple of weeks ago and the CS woman said that they were in (I assume she meant in port) and would be transferred to the shipping department. The e-mail came about a week later, I think, and then a shipping notice and the arrival of the box. Or something like that. I was walking by the door and saw the box sunbathing on the porch. If you haven't at least heard from them, do call.

• Peke
    Original Author
    5 years ago

YES! On August 27th, I got an email that said they would soon be delivered. Figures! After waiting a year for the dicing kit, we were leaving for vacation the next day! I called and asked them to hold off on sending them until I got back from vacation. So on September 22, we got back from Scotland, and I emailed Breville. I got it this week. I haven't use it yet or even found a place for it...I thought it would be just two blades.

I still use the processor about 2-3 times a week,but I am still learning how to use my Ankarsrum Mixer. I go through phases where I make bread, rolls, or cinnamon rolls and learn to use it. Then, I have to relearn again when I want to bake again...ingredient order is changed, and the amount of flour changes in the recipe. All of my old recipes have to be reworked and tried again when they don't turn out right, but I love how it kneads dough for me.

I will post a picture the next time I use it.

I am also into making homemade pizzas on the grill and homemade dough.

• Peke
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Pillog, The smallest diving "thingy" is very hard to push food through to clean it. Carrots and potatoes do not work well. Maybe fruit would work well.

My Breville is going back to Breville. After 9 months of using it, I get a message that says "insert plunger". The plunger is in, the lid is on tight, but it won't let me use it. I called them and they offered to replace it, but I told them to wait to see if it does it again. After using it for about 14 months after I bought it, it did it again. I switched to the new lid that came with our new dicing kit, and it worked. I switched back to the original lid, and it worked. So it wasn't a lid problem or a plunger problem. That means it is a sensor in the base problem. (Where the bowl rotates into the base...that little groove.) So they want to replace the entire thing. Good thing I saved the Breville box. Bad that I didn't save the outer shipping box. Now I cant find one large enough to fit. So, if you have any issues or glitches at all, let them know before the warranty runs out. I will miss it while it is gone. I have packed it up and already need to use it. Hope it doesn't take long to get a new one.

• plllog
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sorry, I haven't checked back here for awhile and just saw the latest messages.

I haven't done much big cooking for awhile, do to current life demands, and still haven't had a chance to try the new dicing sets. I probably should, just to say I did, but for a single vegetable, I just grab a knife. I really like the dicing (original set) when I'm cooking for the crowd. I wish it worked better with raw hard roots, but I understand why there are issues. I hypothesize that the fresher and damper the roots are, the better they'll dice. Still, there are peppers and onions and squash and all kinds of softer things I chop regularly. I should make some gazpacho and play. :) OTOH, I have a highly rated manual hinged lid dicer which I can't even get an onion through, so whatever help I get, is good help.

What the W-S staff were doing wrong is focusing on french fries. Most of the people I know offline don't make french fries at home. They're a drive thru thing. :) The peeler was designed for potatoes, though I've used it on apples and other things. It looks like it's taking a lot of good product, but it's really not more than most veg peelers do. The result gets beat up, though, so not for pretty work. The peeler, however, is best on smaller potatoes. I just cut mine and don't worry about loosing a little more on the cut edges. If peeling potatoes is a big enough task to even think of going to the machine (like for latkes for the multitudes), it's good. But then if you take what you've peeled and put it through the dicer, you aren't going to get much in the way of lovely long fries. I haven't tried, since I don't make french fries, but I'm guessing the demo didn't use the narrow feed tude, either, and if you're doing something vertical, you need to, or it'll fall over and give you the wrong shape. But I wasn't there and can't be sure of what they did or what you saw, Loves. I'll put it on my list of things to try just for trying. I can always cube them up after.

While I do love the chopping element, the FP as a whole is just amazingly beautifully designed, and I still adore it. I never much liked my Cuisinart. It was a bother to use. The other day I was making ... fangipane, I think ... the directions called for the food processor, which is common with almond flour so you don't have to sift it. I wasn't thinking and just put my ingredients in the main bowl, rather than the small one. I was worried because it was a thin layer on the bottom of the bowl. It worked fine! I was amazed. This thing is so easy to use and clean! LOVE still blooms!

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Pillog! I am still loving my Peel and Dice! How about you?

I received my replacement one and have not had any problems with it. Glad I kept the box it came in.

• cj47
    3 years ago

Well, plllog and Peke, you've sold me. I've been considering replacing my aging Cuisinart with one of the newer designs, and I admit, the Breville dicing attachments really caught my fancy. Though I've not been active on this forum for years, I remember reading solid advice from others that love to cook--plllog among them! :-) I was happy to see your opinions. There's something sort of Zen about chopping vegetables, but sometimes, you really just want to get the job done and get on with the business of building your dish, y'know? I worried about the 16 cup being a bit too large, but I tend to cook large batches of things for freezer stock when I can these days. I'll give it a whirl and see how we like it. :-)

• Peke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I use mine for pizza dough, biscuits (cutting shortening/butter), pesto, slicing, shredding, grating, and dicing mostly. I have not used the free extra dicing blades we received. I seldom have small round potatoes to use the peeler. I still love how easy it is to clean. I don't use it for meat because I have a meat grinder attachment for my Ankarsrum mixer. This thing weighs a lot, and you have to have room for the mixer base, bowl, and accessory box. Mine is in a 24" deep cabinet pantry in 3 pieces.

I don't think I have ever used it for whipping cream, because I use my Ankarsrum for that. This thing should last longer than me. Between the Breville Peel and Dice and the the Ankarsrum, my daughter will inherit GOLD...not sure she will know what to do with them though.

I also bought a Braun Immersion blender in 2018 that has extra attachments. I use it more than anything because it is so small and easy to clean. I love my machines! Still, my husband can beat me in the "tools I just need" department. He has tools still unopened!