SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

OBF October Swap: It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

sandlapper_rose
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

A very simple swap for the month of October. I'm calling this a card swap, but for those who simple can't go with only a card, you can add something like a recipe, a few stickers or whatever. However, the whole envelope must be something that meets the post office guidelines for being mailed with one FOREVER stamp (or equal value). You don't need to have tracking on this swap - although you can certainly use it if you like. It doesn't seem to make sense to pay for tracking on one greeting card. The rule will be, if your card isn't received because it got sidetracked somehow, you will send a replacement.

Things to consider:
It would be nice if your card includes a pumpkin or Charlie Brown or any of the Peanuts gang design, but that's not a requirement.

The card can be bought or handmade.

There is a requirement that if at all possible, you find a quote from "Peanuts" and write it in the card. This can be from a comic strip, movie, TV special or wherever.
When you mail and receive your card, please post it here. Also, the receiver will post what the special quote is and where it's from in all of the great "Peanuts" media. You should easily be able to find quotes from Peanuts on the internet.

In the hopes that people receive their card in time for Halloween, please sign up by October 10 and mail by October 17.
Also, please confirm the mailing address with the person you send to so things will go smoothly. That's easily done by email or Houzz Message.

PLEASE NOTE that Our Blooming Friends (OBF) is a membership group. If you are not already a member please contact Shirley in our group to find out about membership.

Jeanne

Comments (103)

• canyonwind
    6 years ago
    1. under his bed
    2. War and Peace
    3. Linus
    4. Oh Holy Night
    5. Jack Nicklaus
    6. Sir
    7. obedience school
  • canyonwind
    6 years ago

And I sent my card to Margo this morning!!

Happy Evening!

Annie

• Related Discussions

new: obf october *hallmark moments*

Q

Comments (150)
    Alrighty! :O) Vina, if you think you know without a doubt who it is, wait until at least a few other ladies have guessed first, OK? That will give everyone a fair chance of guessing & winning! :o) LET THE GUESSING BEGIN!color>size> Only one guess at a time, please! The correct guesser of the secret agent will receive a prize (a surprise prize, of course!). Have fun!
    ...See More

NEW: obf october fabulous & fun x four

Q

Comments (144)
    Margo, Sue and Beth Congratulations.....Yeah Margo if you had not picked the number 7 I would have chosen it. It is my favorite number for God created the world in 7 days and it is the symbol of divine perfection. The whole word of God is founded upon the number seven. Beth-Happy to hear you are home and the wedding went well. Melinda-Nice Grandson buying you a computer....Looking forward to our next months swap. Hi Margaret....always so nice to read your posts. I have gotten into succulents and have them all over the house and in my office at work. It has been so much fun finding the right pots to put them in. Can't believe tomorrow is the first day of November...turkey day will be here soon. Shirley
    ...See More

update: ie & ih october swap:haunted halloween pumpkin party

Q

Comments (71)
    Well, I've been watching a lot of Food Network this morning and they seem to be making lots of dishes with garlic. Since it's so close to Halloween I wondered how the whole garlic and vampire thing came into being. Some people believe that the association of garlic warding off vampires has to do with bug or animal bites. One is rabies. You can get rabies from any animal bite from an animal that has rabies. Remember Cujo (Stephen King) getting rabies from the bat? Anyway, I guess if you have rabies you become fixated on certain scents. One of them being garlic. Another theory is that of mosquito bites. Since mosquitos suck blood, they fly and can be warded off be garlic, it's not a difficult jump to vampires (if you have a vivid imagination.) Anyway, here's a little more info! Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic & Vampires
    ...See More

OBF NEW SWAP OCTOBER "YOUR CREATIVE COOKBOOK"

Q

Comments (269)
    Happy Birthday, Erica! Emily, I'm amazed my cookbook reached you so quickly. Annie, you are so generous with the prizes - will be excited to get something in the mail - other than the overflow of catalogs, magazines, junk mail, etc. Annie, poor Emily will be be embarrassed to hold on the the envelope I sent my cookbook in. I only had one that was large enough and it was previously used so I put everything inside and wrapped the used envelope in paper cut from a grocery store bag. Do I get extra points for recycling? LOL Shirley, we may be close to getting some frost, but not tonight. I was upset that my pepper plants which I have tried to care for most of the summer are finally blooming and starting to grow peppers. I think they will be moved into and out of the garage for awhile. I not only want the peppers, but I want to save some pepper seeds! I haven't quite figured out the OBF football game. Some of you know I follow the Gamecocks at the University of South Carolina. They were not having a great year so far and then Coach Spurrier resigned this week and there was an interim head ball coach announced ... but the Gamecocks won their game today so maybe all of this will get straightened out. The teams we played the last two weeks have been very generous providing supplies for the flood victims, bottled water, and other assistance. My husband found a weather web site with a huge number of pictures of the flood. We were not here for most of those days - it looked so horrible. Of course, we worried a lot while we were away, but seeing it may have been worse. We still have water streaming through our horse pasture and it has been warm and sunny all week. We are ready for things to dry out. Well, time for bed here. Enjoy your day tomorrow! Jeanne
    ...See More
  • sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Margo, just letting you know your wonderful swap arrived today. I'll take pictures and post details tomorrow. It seems like I've been on the go all day today. Whew, after doing dishes I am going to RELAX!

See everyone then.

Jeanne

• pinkiris
    6 years ago

Jeanne ...THANK YOU so very much for the incredibly adorable SNOOPY card! You are so talented, and very creative!! I absolutely love it, told DH I am finding a frame for this =) and the pumpkin embellishments are way too cute!

and a quote from "Peanuts" ... "All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesnt hurt." ~Charles Schulz

Many many thanks Jeanne ... Happy Halloween!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Glad you liked the card, Jayeanne. I started making cards about 2 years ago and there is a learning curve I think. I was never one to go to the scrapbooking classes at those specialty shops so I am pretty much teaching myself with some online resources from places that sell supplies and a bit of YouTube! I never did scrapbooking but I think the techniques in that and card making are very similar.

Here's a picture of what I received from Margo. So cute. (I can tell you also like the Peanuts characters, Margo._ On the back of the Jack o'Lanterns Margo taped some seeds from her garden - yellow blanket flower and Presto Coreopsis. I'll love growing these next year. Thank you so much. One of the Charlie Brown cards is my card from Margo and the quote which is from Linus: "Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace." Love it!

Update on the swaps:

Jeanne will send to Jayeanne - Jayeanne Received

Jayeanne will send to Shirley - Sent

Shirley will send to Amy

Amy will send to Susan

Susan will send to Nicole

Nicole will send to Tammy

Tammy will send to Beth

Beth will send to Erica

Erica will send to Annie - Sent

Annie will send to Margo - Sent

Margo will send to Jeanne - Jeanne Received

Sorry if I missed any of the sent or received.

Next posts will be for our games.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

8 more questions for our TRIVIA GAME. These points will be added to the previous Trivia Game. The total for a perfect score on both will be 15. You can participate here even if you didn't answer part 1 of the Trivia Game. In the event of a tie among the highest scorers there will be be a final question to determine the winner. Please post here by the end of the day on Monday. (4 options for letter answers this time)

1. Snoopy is an aspiring novelist and his opening line is:

a. A long, long time ago

b. One dark and stormy night

c. Once upon a time

d. It was love at first sight.

2. Charles Schultz had a long association with

a. baseball

b. basketball

c. ice sports

d. horse racing

3. ______ had a top 40s hit with the song 'Charlie Brown'.

a. The Beatles

b. The Coasters

c. The Monkees

d. The Who

4. Who is Charlie Brown's sister?

a. Sally

b. Lucy

c. Marcie

d. Violet

5. Lucy tells Rerun that the tooth fairy uses the teeth to make

a. toothpaste

b. earrings

c. piano keys

d. chess pieces

6. What did the early Peanuts characters write on to express their thoughts and opinions?

a. a blackboard

b. a legal pad

c. a calendar

d. a wooden fence

7. Peanuts characters served as spokespeople for

a. United Way

b. American Airlines

c. MetLife

d. Red Cross

8. How did Snoopy and Woodstock first meet?

a. In school

b. At a party

c. When Snoopy chased the neighbor's cat

d. When a mother bird built a nest on Snoopy's stomach.

You can list just the number and letter answer for each so it's simpler. Right now the score is Jayeanne 7 points, Amy 7 points, Annie 6 points.

Jeanne

• smitties
    6 years ago

Jeanne, so glad you liked the cards.

I tell you, we just can't get a break. Lol. In a freak accident, while visiting my daughter in Michigan, my husbands foot was run over by our runaway pick up truck. Fortunately, the truck slowly rolled across the road and down an incline to stop at a fence without hitting anything. Adrian was alone when this happened so managed to get the truck back in the road and back to my daughters. We took him to the ER and he broke two supporting bones, one on each side of his ankle. He's very lucky. He has an appointment with an orthopedic doctor Tuesday. He might need surgery.

Wish us luck. Margo

• skyblue52
    6 years ago

Let me guess to try to get points. 1-B 2-A 3-B 4-A 5-C 6-A 7-C 8-D

• pinkiris
    6 years ago

TRIVIA GAME

1. B

2.C

3.B

4. A

5. C

6. D

7. C

8. D

• bluee19
    6 years ago

Happy Monday Funday!

Tammy ~ I am mailing out your card today.

• mcc371
    6 years ago

Beth yours will be in the mail tomorrow. I have to get some bubble wrap to include in my envelope. So my babies don't get crushed by the machines at post office.

• brittneysgran
    6 years ago

Received my card and goodies from Jayeanne, how clever you are to find all the cute Peanuts items. I have wanted some pumpkin seeds so I will have pumpkins to enter in the County Fair. Thank you Jayeanne and don't give up on me shipping your daylilies and other plants....I promise it will be soon.

• amybabyboy3
    6 years ago

1.B

2.C

3.B

4.A

5.C

6.A

7.C

8.D

• amybabyboy3
    6 years ago

Susan, Yours is on the way! Amy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

First of all, the winner of our Peanuts TRIVIA contest is Jayeanne. She got all of the answers right, both on the 1st posting and the 2nd. Congratulations, Jayeanne! Thanks to the others who participated. Everyone did really well.
    The answers on the second group of questions were:
    1.b, 2. c, 3. b, 4. a, 5. c. 6. d, 7. c, 8. d
    I sure have been learning a lot about Peanuts!

Here's where we are with the swaps:

Jayeanne will send to Shirley - Shirley Received

Shirley will send to Amy

Amy will send to Susan - Sent
    Susan will send to Nicole
    Nicole will send to Tammy Sent
    Tammy will send to Beth - Sent
    Beth will send to Erica
    Erica will send to Annie - Sent
    Annie will send to Margo - Sent

That's enough for one post. I'll put the follow up to the JUMBLE SWAP in the next post. Once we complete the 2nd part of that game, it will give us another winner.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's the second and last part of the JUMBLE GAME.

Guesses can be posted until the end of the day on Thursday. The rule though is you can only guess ONE of them PER DAY (so any line #1-5 is a guess) and the "per day" is within a 24 hour period. Again, post your answer(s) here. First one to post a correct answer will get the point. For example, 1 point for the first person to post #1 correctly, 1 point for the first to guess #2, etc. The points will be added to part 1 of this game.

These are all words or phrases familiar from Peanuts characters, movies, comic strips, etc.

1. (2 words) RNPEIGMPUATK

2. (1 word) DOEESRRCH

3. (2 words) WCMAOHISEPTL

4. (2 words) OLJOOCE

5. (1 words) DIAFER

6. (2 words) GRIGODFOE

From the previous guesses Amy has 3 points and Jayeanne has one. All are eligible to play. No need to have guessed in Part 1 of the game.

Good luck.

Jeanne

• canyonwind
    6 years ago

Jumble Game....

#5 Frieda

Thank you Erica for the fun Halloweenie card......

And a quote from Linus, "There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

Thanks also for the Halloween stickers (ghosts, spiders ect...very cute) and Pumpkin On A Stick seeds....

Happy Day!

Annie

• amybabyboy3
    6 years ago

2,Schroeder

• smitties
    6 years ago

Received a cute hand crafted card from Annie.

Snoopy says, "every time you find some humor in a difficult situation, you win". Thank you Annie for the thoughtful card

Im trying to keep this wonderful quote in mind with my husbands foot. Just got back from the orthopedic doc and he has to have surgery next week as the ankle has several breaks. He can not do any weight bearing on that foot for three months!!! This means he can't work either. It's only day three and I'm exhausted. Lol. We are going to hire the neighbor kid to mow.

You may not see much of me for a while. I'll try to stop by in the coming months. Margo

• pinkiris
    6 years ago

1. great pumpkin

• skyblue52
    6 years ago

oh Margo that is terrible. my thoughts go out to u for patience. Today is a warm wonderful day. The dahlias are still kicking out loads of blooms Nicole went out yesterday. Along with the seed with a twist box. Had a grumpy teller. But" LET" me mail everything the way packed. He took 10 as soon as I left. Wont have time to play today. Maybe later.

6- good grief

• EricaBraun
    6 years ago

I received my card from Beth today. She included a pack of White Sage seeds, which I love. Her quote: "How can we lose when we are so sincere?"

Thanks so much, Beth. I love the seeds!

• canyonwind
    6 years ago

Jumble game

#4 Joe Cool

I love these quotes!!

• skyblue52
    6 years ago

Hi Got my Charlie brown package from Amy. She found such cute Charlie brown stuff ,she is so sweet.. A beautiful journal that I am thinking of something special. some CB stickers

for the up coming holidays. Seeds and a coloring page . and 3 quotes in the card. Charlie Brown "In the book of life the answers are not in the back:{made me think}

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Finally, here I am. We lost our Internet the day before last. I'll get caught up on things a bit later today. The man just left after repairing it. So frustrating to do without. I know I can access the internet on my cell phone, but I absolutely hate trying to type anything on those tiny keys.

Jeanne

• amybabyboy3
    6 years ago
    1. camel sopwith
  • sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Catching up on the sent and received part of the swaps:

Shirley will send to Amy

Amy will send to Susan - Susan Received
    Susan will send to Nicole - Sent
    Nicole will send to Tammy - Sent
    Beth will send to Erica - Erica Received
    Erica will send to Annie - Annie Received
    Annie will send to Margo - Margo Received

I think I found all the updates on the swap. If not, let me know. I'll check on the JUMBLE answers tomorrow.

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown was on TV here this evening. I recorded it so I can watch it for Halloween. I'm not someone who watches really frightening movies.

One more game to get posted - the second half of the QUOTES game.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

And we have a winner for the JUMBLE game. It's Amy. Congratulations, Amy.

The answers were:

1. GREAT PUMPKIN

2. SCHROEDER

3. SOPWITH CAMEL

4. JOE COOL

5. FREIDA

6. GOOD GRIEF

Thank you to everyone who participated.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here we are with part 2 of the QUOTES Game. 2 points for the first person to guess an answer correctly. You do not have to have all of them right to get points. You will simply post your answers here by using the number of the quote and the character who said it. My answers are based on information found on the internet. We already commented that sometimes another character may have said the same line. Match my list for correct answers. All 7 can be guessed at once.

If all have not been guessed correctly by Sunday morning, I will list those that are right and who got the point and you'll get until Monday morning to try again. Good luck! This is our last game for this month.

Our score from the first part of the game was Annie (25) and in the lead, Amy (24) and Tammy (21). These points will be added to those. Everyone in OBF is welcome to guess. I tried to pick quotes where you might recognize the person saying it from what is said.

1. I think every week should have a day when boys give presents to girls.

2. That's the secret of life - replace one worry with another.

3. Happiness is catching snowflakes on your tongue.

4. My version of a triathalon is a doughnut, a pizza and a hot fudge sundae.

5. Having your blanket in the wash is like having your psychiatrist gone for the weekend.

6. The next part is the best. "The wounded hero lay in the dust... The robins circled overhead."

7. Happiness is a warm puppy.

Have a good weekend.

Jeanne

• amybabyboy3
    6 years ago
    1. .Lucy
    2. .Charles Schultz
    3. Charlie Brown
    4. Snoopy
    5. Linus
    6. .Marcie
    7. Lucy
  • canyonwind
    6 years ago

1. Lucy

2. Charlie Brown

3. Sally

4. Snoopy

5. Linus

6. Snoopy

7. Charles M Schulz

• amybabyboy3
    6 years ago

Shirley, Thank you so much for my Snoopy and gang package. I love it. The Any good witch card is so cute and my favorite quote is: "I'm not alone for I know that God is always with me" SO TRUE! I love the stuffed pumpkin that you sent and already have it displayed in my living room. The stickers are super cute and my grandson will enjoy sharing those with me. Thank you so much for a special treat! Take care, Amy

Hope everyone has a super weekend. I harvested some sweet potatoes that I didn't even realize were growing good and some hot peppers. Now I am making some of Jayeanne's habanero salt from her recipe.

• amybabyboy3
    6 years ago

I Forgot to post the picture!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The quotes game was so close, but Amy you squeaked through with the win! Points were Amy 32 and Annie 31.

Here are the answers.

1. Lucy 2. Charlie Brown, 3. Sally 4. Snoopy 5. Linus 6. Snoopy 7. Lucy

Congratulations to all of our game winners and thank you to all who joined in keeping this fun. You sent fantastic quotes in your cards and thanks to the recipients for sharing them.

Swap Report:

Shirley will send to Amy - Amy Received

Nicole will send to Tammy - Sent

It has finally begun to feel more like fall here and I'm certainly enjoying it. I'll start getting the prizes ready to mail and post when they go out.

Jeanne

• canyonwind
    6 years ago

Congratulations Amy!!!!!

• mcc371
    6 years ago

Got home today from visiting grandkids this weekend to Nicole's cute card in the mail. Thank you for the seed bags I can always use them and 2 love stamps which will come in handy. Cute stickers too.

Quote: Life is short do the things that make you happy and be with who make you happy. Look for the good in everyday even if some days you have to look alittle harder!

Thanks Nicole!!

• beth_b_kodiak
    6 years ago

Mail arrived from Tammy yesterday She made an adorable card of snoopy working in his garden..... the kiddos were planting French Fries. Love that. Wish I could grow some too. Inside is background info on the Peanuts gang and on Mr Schults himself. Interesting and fun

My seeds are asters, cosmos and milk weed all good choices for my country garden.

Quote is from LUCY:"If you really want to impress people, you need to show them that you are a winner". Good one Tammy

Thanks for your fun and thoughtful mail

bethb

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The prizes were mailed out yesterday. I hope you like them.

Here's an update on the list:

Shirley will send to Amy - Amy Received

Nicole will send to Tammy - Tammy Received
    Tammy will send to Beth - Beth Received

Perhaps Nicole is not at home to post that she received. I'm sure everything will be fine and we'll wait to hear from her.

Jeanne

• skyblue52
    6 years ago

I was thinking that last night. I hope it got there. I did put extra stamps on just to make sure. The post office man was so negative about my mail. He was having a long day. He ran out of a specially stamps for a man in front of me. Hope everyones day is going well. Remember to smile.

• skyblue52
    6 years ago

hi I am worried. I haven't heard about the seed trade box either. I need to look at the tracking. No frost yet. Still have a few tomatoes hanging. the trees are blooming their fall colors. Looking for Charlie Brown Great pumpkin to start the holiday stretch. 2 months till Christmas GOOD GREIF

• bluee19
    6 years ago

Happy Wednesday and today I received my happy mail from Susan.

Thank you Susan for the cute notecard with your two recipes. The leaves are so cute!

• amybabyboy3
    6 years ago

Jeanne, Thank you so much for the cute prizes. Yummy peanuts and the Snoopy/Woodstock care is adorable! The gnome gift bag that you made is super cute and I love Gnomes! Thank you for a really fun month! Take care, Amy

• brittneysgran
    6 years ago

Jeanne-what a wonderful swap month. Thank you for hosting.

Hunter, Our Granddaughter's Husband is an amazing Father. He gets off work and goes to all Mason's Dr's appt. Brittney got this picture of them today.

• pinkiris
    6 years ago

Jeanne thank you very much for the handmade gnome garden gift bag, I love it. and the super cute snoopy card. You are so creative. I really enjoyed your snoopy swap Jeanne!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What a sweet picture, Shirley.

Everything for this swap has now been received. Now I can pass along my "oops moment" about the prizes. A few weeks ago I went to a craft store and saw some Peanuts fabric - it had copies of the comic strips on it. Perfect to make little gifts for the prizes I thought. Guess who couldn't find it a few weeks later? It's a bit of a joke around here about how I put things away and can't find them. Anyway, I thought the gnome fabric turned out really cute and one day I'll find that Peanuts fabric. I guess it's good it didn't have a seasonal print.

I hope everyone enjoys Halloween this year. We don't get any trick or treaters out here, but I have my Halloween-Fall decorations out in several rooms so it looks festive for us here at home.

Jeanne

• brittneysgran
    6 years ago

Jeanne-I am the world's worst to lose things....it's terrible. We don't get that many trick or treaters either, just a few family. The town has Halloween in the Park and everyone goes there.

• canyonwind
    6 years ago

Jeanne, you are not the only one who buys things, puts them away and then can not recall where you hid them.....LOL!

Thanks for a very fun month....I did learn a few things about the Peanuts gang of characters....very, very interesting bunch.

Annie

• smitties
    6 years ago

Guilty!!!! I'm in the process of looking for some jewelry I had and it isn't in the places it should be. I'm going to have to tear apart the closet. Lol

thanks for a great swap Jeanne.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great snail costume ... and he's gigantic. I don't want him in my garden. Love the trail of slime!

Jeanne